Dash cam

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota C-HR
Xolier

Re: Dash cam

Post by Xolier » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that most dash-cams are working at some voltage lower than 12volts internally.
Whether a vendor chooses to do that within the enclosure or externally is a pure cost/production decision.
And I would think that the small run-time batteries or super caps in some of these units are running in the 5 volts range anyway, so it only makes sense that the core electronics and charging circuits work in that range as well.
So yes the cheaper units may do it by some external means like the 3rd generation 0806 unit I choose to use.

These so called "cheap units" are using similar DV/DSC SoC platforms to their famous distant cousin, the Hero.
I am not trying to shoot an iPhone commercial with my dashcam so the Ambarella setup in the 0806 unit https://10carbest.com/best-dash-camera will do me fine but may not suit everybody. The biggest challenge with the cheaper units is the lack of production reliability.

But whether a unit is working at 12 or 5 volts is irrelevant. The entire point is that there are options when using one or the other with the i3.
If you have a 12 volt native unit then great, just tap into the compass and roll. (as long as the current consumption designed into the unit is reasonable)
If you have a 5 volt unit then lower it down with a very tiny & inexpensive buck converter made for this application. I don't think they cost more than $7. The entire converter is just a little bigger than an old SD card.
With either path you get a clean install without running long cables to other regions of the vehicle.
My total cable length, including fuse holder is less than 12 inches, and not any of it is visible even if you tried to find it :)
Also this power approach addresses one of the contributors original concerns about the camera staying on when using the home charger on the i3.

Kayceaz

Post by Kayceaz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 am

Had mine wired in by auto electrician. Works brilliantly, Toyota NZ didn't want to know. It's recorded some scary drivers
1.2T FWD
Silver grey with red highlights
Tinted windows, Mud flaps, Rain Shields
After market leather seats
Tow bar, Roof Rack
Electric boot release
Fender Flares
Second set front DRL/indicators, rear Fog lights
ECU remapped
Arrived 23 December

felixis

Post by felixis » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:24 pm

I bought DDpai Mini 3 Dash-cam at amazon.com 8-)

This is the best dash cam by far!
The installation was made at my dealer-so no warranty voided. :!:
Toyota C-HR CHI-C (Dynamic) Hybrid, White Pearl with Black roof, 18” wheels

jrm

Post by jrm » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 pm

I’ve had to abandon my dash cam as it interfered with the DAB radio, the power cable was interacting with the aerial feed. I’ve not had time to experiment with ferrite rings as yet.
When I visited the dealer the chief tech told me what was wrong as soon as he spotted the dash cam, they’ had the same problem with the demonstrators, as they use dash cams for insurance purposes.
Cheers Mark

Walt

Post by Walt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:09 am

I use a nextbase dashcam connected to the fuse box under the glove box via the nextbase hardwire kit and I have no issues. Radio always on dab.
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.

johnan

Post by johnan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm

I too have no problem with a Blackvue dash cam, which is plugged into the accessory socket in the armrest and the wires are hidden behind the trim panels.
The camera is mounted to the right of the rear view mirror, as high as possible, but remaining in the wiper sweep.
No radio interference issues.
C-HR Design,1.2 Turbo, Tokyo Red Pearl. space saver spare, chrome side sills and light rings, protection pack, dash cam, Scangauge2, Cheetah C550 camera alert, arm rest inner tray. Private plate.
Old friend in garage, MG Midget

jrm

Post by jrm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:54 am

Hi Johnan, I had mine connected as you did but my power cable went up the passenger side, up the pillar and was mounted on the passenger side of the mirror. I have the same camera in three other vehicles with no problem. I've also swapped the camera with one of the others but still had the problem. I'll either buy a better cam or try ferrite rings when I've got the time.

johnan

Post by johnan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi jrm, I have used the same Blackvue camera in 3 different cars over the last 5 years with no issues at all, reliability or radio interference wise, but it was quite pricey at the time of purchase, although not top of the range.
The wiring in mine goes across to the drivers, RHD, side, under the drivers seat, behind the inner sill panel, along and then up the door A pillar behind the trim , up the screen side and the behind the trim above the screen and then to the camera to the right of the mirror.

I bought a Nextbase one to fit in another car I was working on but its battery failed after a few months and some research showed they are prone to that problem and the "capacitor-driven" type of dash cams are the better kind to get. I don't know if both types are prone to the radio problem or not.

The battery/capacitor issue would not affect radio interference...or would it? Seems a very strange problem to have these days with modern electronics.

Halfords took my old one back for a refund luckily!
C-HR Design,1.2 Turbo, Tokyo Red Pearl. space saver spare, chrome side sills and light rings, protection pack, dash cam, Scangauge2, Cheetah C550 camera alert, arm rest inner tray. Private plate.
Old friend in garage, MG Midget

Meldrew

Post by Meldrew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm

I had the dash cam fitted by the dealer £250 its a next base model 380gw. I have not checked the video as yet to see how good it is
Excell Metal stream.1.8 Hybrid Protection Pack, Space saver wheel, Dash Cam

Rosie60

Post by Rosie60 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:09 pm

My Toyota garage is offering a dash cam fitted for £225 so can’t be any issues. I had my hardwired at Halfolds last year.
Excel in Tyrol Silver with protection pack, Supaguard treatment and sill protectors. Ordered May 7th collected May 23rd. I'm a very happy bunny.

Return to “Faults & Technical”