Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've been reading through the threads and it seems that 50mpg is " normal" for the 1.8 model.
I'm a sensible driver who drives within the limits but my best mpg is 46.
I'm using the EV mode and leave the air con on, other than that I can't see why mpg is on the low side? Any suggestions?
I've an Excel 1.8

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had my hybrid 6 weeks. Driven in all types of traffic from rush hour M25 to empty Motorway at 75mph for 70 miles.
I have my heating on auto and normally have at least 1 or 2 lights on with the heated seats plus heated rear window etc.

Worst I've seen is 53mpg best 70.3. Im averaging 57ish mpg. I always use the apaptive cruise control on M ways which helps I think as the car rearly comes to a complete stop.

The cold weather obviously doesn't help that's the same for all cars. If you Mpg has always been this way you may need to alter your driving style or get the car checked at the dealers.

Just my observations :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I always leave the aircon switched on all year round just to make sure it works ok.
I haven't checked my mpg but I reckon its well over 50.
Unless there is something wrong, I think the mpg is down to how heavy your right foot is. Hard acceleration will cane it.

G

·
I've had my CHR for a year now. I average around 54mpg...that's calculated the long-winded way, not by using on-board stats. I very occasionally use air-con (living in Scotland it's not needed that often!) and very occasionally switch into sports mode. However, 95% of my driving is rural roads using "normal" mode. As Wasp28 writes, the cold weather has an impact on mpg so recently it's dipped a bit. The car is also about to go for its first service, so that may make a difference too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm the same averaging 54 mpg over 12,000 miles, again that's doing the long way, actually use a little app called Road trip HD, just enter my mileage and fuel every time I fill up. I leave my a/c on all the time and have been using the heated seats a lot this winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How long have you had the car? I am currently running a 2017 Prius (just about to switch to CHR) and using a sophisticated spreadsheet and like the past 4 Priuses I find there is a 10MPG difference between summer and winter. So if you have only had the car for a few months then expect a nice uptick when the weather turns....

·
Registered
554 Posts
EV button is sub 30mph, but mine doesn't respond (giving not available) even when battery is full and doing 23mpg...something that I'll get them to look at when in for it's annual service in 3 weeks time.

Typically my electric doesn't engage when the heater's on :(

·
Registered
685 Posts
The EV mode you can use for such as parking places. Dont ask too much power or drive above 30mph because the system will then automaticly turn off the EV mode.
If you have set your heater to a high temperature, or AC is on, or engine is warming up or have less as 4 bars power the EV mode will not work.

ECO mode will make it easier to drive on battery because its easier to keep the Power meter on the dash in te blue ´EV-battery´ zone.
Best for use in the city. For highway you can use Normal mode or Sport mode. It will make the car much more responsive.

If you drive in city and your Power meter is just in the green Eco-zone.. lift the throttle and push it again a bit.. keep it in the blue zone to keep driving on battery power. The EV light will be lit on your dash. This is very easy to do in ECO mode.

Hybrid driving is a kind of feeling.. in time you will learn how to use it the best. And save fuel! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts