Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can't be bothered changing settings. I stay in Eco all the time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I drive in ECO too. I like the slow gas response, you can move your foot a bit more without the car getting jumpy. When you floor it, it will still use all it's power.
Normal has a more regular car feeling. In the end it's all up to you. The only thing different is the gas response curve.
When using Sport mode the steering will be a bit thougher.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't like ECO at all. Too sluggish and slow for me, but maybe I'm not using it correctly. So, for driving in built-up areas, I just use NORMAL mode (SPORT is way too responsive and I don't fancy rear-ending the vehicle in front)!

Most of my driving, however, is on long, straight roads of higher speeds, and for these longer drives, I really enjoy SPORT mode best of all. SPORT mode is just fantastic on the 1.2T Manual, and makes it a far more responsive car than is typical of SUVs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't change the mode so I guess I drive in "normal" all the time. I just let the car do its own thing which it seems pretty good at.
Great car.
It stays on the drive with all this white stuff about, I don't think it would be too good in snow !!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I used ECO for about two months and I returned to Normal because I saw no difference in consumption. Maybe worst.
I found myself trying to stay in battery mode, turns up to lower mileage. Maybe because lower battery gives lower performance and petrol engine works overtime to keep charging.
So now I use Normal mode (sometimes sport too) and I drive "my way" without thinking about it. Consumption in town is 4.8 to 5.4 with battery usually in higher level than before, which is better than when I tried to be Eco.
Spring is already here so better days are coming. :)

·
Registered
Excel, Hybrid 2018, Metalstream.
460 Posts
I use Normal in winter and Eco in warmer weather. Eco reduces heating and A/C output and possibly a few other items. Normal gives me some decent heat into car ( which is not the best of systems in the first place ) faster.

Use sport when I need some standstill response.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Countryside said:
What is best mode on motorway for mpg ?
Dont think it makes much difference at a steady motorway speed. But for mpg the mode to use is eco at any time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sport,

Eco is noticeably slow, the throttle response is dreadful. try it for yourself. more for old people or those that drove well under the speed limit all the time. :lol:

Normal is okay , we prefer sport as it just a bit nippier and gets you out of trouble if needed.

·
Registered
759 Posts
chillyman50 said:
sport,

Eco is noticeably slow, the throttle response is dreadful. try it for yourself. more for old people or those that drove well under the speed limit all the time. :lol:

Normal is okay , we prefer sport as it just a bit nippier and gets you out of trouble if needed.
But sport will be a lot less economical. I don't find a lot of difference in economy between eco and normal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I used to switch quite often to sport mode with my previous 1.8.
With 2l I hardly switched a couple of times in one year.
I find eco a little to slow for my taste. It really cuts out much of everything. If it would be easier to access, I may be tempted to use eco more often when roads are free. With 1.8 I was going through switching modes especially when road was asking for taking over other drivers, but it wasn't a safe experience and I chose to simply ignore it now that engine gives me what I'm looking.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't get me wrong, just my opinion,
For those who bought the 2.0, of course, more power its nice but..
When you keep changing from sport and normal, in my opinion you just bought the wrong car, you should buy the GR yaris or any other car that it's lower and more powerful,
C-hr is made to save on fuel, not racing,
Same as those saying they will buy the GR c-hr, still didn't manage to see the point here,
Regarding driving modes, I use eco all the time, it helps when driving slowly to stay under the limit of using battery only as accelerator pedal has a "slower" reaction, regarding overtaking and all that, enen having the 1.8 and driving in eco, if I put the accelerator down I overtake or go faster without any issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Alexr said:
chillyman50 said:
sport,

But sport will be a lot less economical. I don't find a lot of difference in economy between eco and normal.
true i notice a dramatic decrease in power in eco, its like a snail . :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
chillyman50 said:
true i notice a dramatic decrease in power in eco, its like a snail . :eek:
Well... Not true. It's just a decrease in responsiveness. You still have all the power. Just try in all three modes to floor the pedal and you won't notice any difference at all between the modes. I hope I don't have to say, if you try this, do it on some track or somewhere where it's safe and according to rules :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts