Toyota C-HR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys and gals are going to either laugh or get mad, or both. Since I live in Germany I wrote to Toyota headquarters here about the wind noise and asked for a solution. In a few days, I received an answer back that the wind noise I experience is comparable to other C-HR's so this makes it okay. They even offered me to test drive another C-HR to realize that the noise is not isolated to my vehicle and therefore my car has no fault. (Let this be a warning to future buyers, they seem to be admitting that all C-HR's have the wind noise issue.)

Let that sink in....

OKAY... WHAT?????

That's like saying if all Toyota C-HR's leak gas then that is okay because they're ALL doing it.

Now for a question, who do you write to after you've written to the local country's headquarters? Would Japan be the next step?

I only received my Toyota C-HR 3 weeks ago Feb 2018 and the local dealer told me this car did not have the little window default. Since Toyota has already admitted there is a wind noise issue, why would the local HQ blow it off? No pun intended :)

*** I live in Germany, if you are not driving the car at 100Km/h or over on a regular basis then you might not experience this terrible wind noise.***

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I did test drive another C-HR and surprisingly the test drive car was noisier.

Keep in mind that I live in Germany and I drive the autobahn every day to work, if you are not driving the car at 100Km/h or over then you might not experience this terrible wind noise. However, the noise is well documented. I'm happy you do not experience it, which means there is hope. Unless, as I mentioned, you do not do any autobahn driving then you might not experience it as much.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I've driven quite a few times 130km/h or more. Yes, it's noisy, but definitely not as much to take it to the dealer. Could it be the tires and not the wind?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Karmalakas, this coming Thursday I am having the doors and floor panels soundproofed by professionals. This should help dampen the tire noise and also determine if the wind noise is coming from the doors or the windows. The team doing the soundproofing showed me how the trunk (boot) is an echo chamber. They took out the tire kit and tapped on the metal undercarriage and the sound echoed throughout the car. It was really amazing. These guys know their stuff, so hopefully, I'll have good news to report next week.

Some people have expressed that they feel there is an open window somewhere, but I have fully examined the windows and they seem to be sealed, unless the wind is going down into the doors, which I think might be happening.

I do agree that this sound might not bother some people, especially if they've experienced worse.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
759 Posts
The speed limit in the uk is 70 mph so we regularly drive at 110kph (or more!?). I dont get excessive wind noise. There was an issue with the wing mirrors ( not little window) that Toyota will correct under warrenty. It was mentioned on this forum some time back, and if I recall correctly someone quoted some ref no for it. Try searchiing for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is interesting, so it's looking like my car might be actually defective if none of you are experiencing this issue. The main point, though, is still the same, the response from Toyota was unacceptable, at least, to me.

1) If all C-HR's really did have the issue then it would deserve a recall or mass repair.

2) A solution instead of an excuse would have been more beneficial, especially since even the mechanic at the Toyota dealership agreed with me that the sound was loud and would get on one's nerves over a long distance.

3) If not all C-HR's suffer from this excessive wind noise then it was wrong of Toyota to state otherwise.

What I dislike most of all is spending tens of thousands of Euro on a new car and then have the company who sold me the car tell me, quite frankly, in effect: "That's just the way it is."

·
Registered
93 Posts
I regularly travel at over 100 kph and dont find the wind noise excessive but tyre noise is another story. The road surface makes a big difference and on some stretches of the A3 her in the south, the tyre roar drowns out the radio! Conversely on a recent trip through France, Belgium and Holland I found the road surfaces much better with minimal tyre noise. I'm hoping a diffent brand of tyre could make a difference, will have to wait until I replace the tyres to find out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Won't say that I regularly drive on motorways - but a few times a month I get to go on a long spin, taking in motorway driving. Setting the ACC to 130kmh - I have to say I haven't noticed any noise to make it unacceptable. Driving C-HR since Jan18... previous was a Qashqai, not finding any difference in road noise... One thing that I would like to change is the top level speaker volume for handsfree phone calls, certain times calls can be difficult to hear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
miro said:
Spanner60, while on call you can press volume+ button on steering wheel to increase speaker volume.
Cheers for that Miro - I have it up to the system max (apparently that's +14)... but I feel it needs a little more... or is it just me.?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.