Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the days when I owned cars with conventional automatic gearboxes I would engage neutral and put the handbrake on at traffic lights. If I do that in my CHR 1.8 Hybrid after a few minutes I get this message:

Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Light

Anyone know why?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I used to do that when I had a manual car at traffic lights to take the pressure off my clutch leg, but I've never done that in any my previous automatic cars.

Have you looked in the manual to see what circumstances you should use N? Saleslady said the only time I may need it is if the car needs to be pushed!

·
Registered
71 Toyota CHR GR Sport
42 Posts
When in N the engine cannot drive the charger for the traction battery. The traction battery should never be allowed to fully discharge because that damages the battery and it will not hold a full charge. The more often this happens the more damage to the battery. The car is programmed to ensure the battery is never fully discharged to prevent this but if you put it in neutral the engine is completely disconnected from the charge unit. Always better to keep in D or Park. Park put the handbrake on but remains in gear so it can charge the battery.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Some old habits are not the best way with autos or hybrids. At lights I always leave it in D with the foot on the brake (or use brake hold function). Then I can just drive off with a touch of the accelarator. I know that leaves the brake lights on but I think the “moan” about that is not valid as there s no complaint about blinding brake light when you are slowing up for the lights. (You can always spot the driver who sits in neutral with the handbrake on - wiggle the gear lever, engage 1st, release the handbrake, engage clutch and finally move off. 3 cars could have got through the lights in that time. Personal bug-bear of mine!)

·
Registered
330 Posts
3 cars could have got through the lights in that time. Personal bug-bear of mine!)
+1! I heard such "moaning", but it's not a big deal. People are moaning about anything anyways ;)

Manual is clear on this ground - D while waiting for traffic light. N is there for towing and nothing else.
If one knows the timing of a certain junction, can put in P and switch to D when close to green.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When in N the engine cannot drive the charger for the traction battery. The traction battery should never be allowed to fully discharge because that damages the battery and it will not hold a full charge. The more often this happens the more damage to the battery. The car is programmed to ensure the battery is never fully discharged to prevent this but if you put it in neutral the engine is completely disconnected from the charge unit. Always better to keep in D or Park. Park put the handbrake on but remains in gear so it can charge the battery.
Many thanks, that makes a lot of sense.(y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the days when I owned cars with conventional automatic gearboxes I would engage neutral and put the handbrake on at traffic lights. If I do that in my CHR 1.8 Hybrid after a few minutes I get this message:

View attachment 3622

Anyone know why?
Hi Please tell me what to do next time I get my car washed in automatic carwasher. I put my CHR on Neutral as we usually do & this warning came up. I endured a few tense moments till I exited the waah. As well, plenty safety warnings lit up as huge soap brushes kept hitting the car!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Please tell me what to do next time I get my car washed in automatic carwasher. I put my CHR on Neutral as we usually do & this warning came up. I endured a few tense moments till I exited the waah. As well, plenty safety warnings lit up as huge soap brushes kept hitting the car!
Auto car wash....Never....Unless you want lots of swirls on your paint....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts