Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a new 2019 Toyota C-HR and it is turning out to be a nightmare purchase. On top of everything to start that was wrong with this deal, recently I turn the car off, get out and turn to press the lock button (to watch the mirrors fold in) and over 2 dozen times now, the car is not off! No it is not me accidentally pushing button, I am now VERY cognizant to make sure its off. This weekend, we unloaded the groceries, went to a garage sale and when we got back I threw my wallet on the front seat from the passenger side and when I closed the passenger door, the car started....I have a witness this time! (and the keys were in the house, we took the truck, so we would have seen it was on when we pulled in or when I grabbed my wallet before we left). Is anyone else having these issues? I have also occasionally needed gas every two days, my tank always lasts a week to and from work, and I cannot explain the gas until now that I have witnessed it not turning off.

I am worried it is going to turn itself on in the garage and kill everyone in the household! Is anyone else's doing this and how did you solve it?

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
back to the dealer, sounds serious ,only thing i can think is ecu shorting, wouldnt park it in the garage in case of fire, could try disconnecting battery over night and see if it resets itself

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sounds odd. Never had it start on its own - that should be sorted by dealer.
But I have had the "not turning off" problem and I believe it is me pressing the button with one hand before the other hand had fully engaged the Park mode with the "gear" lever. Might that be the case with you?

ps not sure I dully understand where the keys were in your explanation. In the wallet?

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
Sounds like when turning it off you didn't press the brake pedal hard enough :/

·
Registered
77 Posts
If it's not really turned OFF then it should start beeping when the key is removed from the car to warn you that its still ON. At least that's what mine does when I forget to push the start button to turn it OFF.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Karmalakas said:
Sounds like when turning it off you didn't press the brake pedal hard enough :/
I'm puzzled by this reply - I don't think you have to press the brake to turn off ( just for turning on)

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
Yes, you have to. Turning off without a brake it goes to Off mode, but doesn't turn off the hybrid system. At least that's how I understand manual.
After you stop and switch to P you have to press Power button and only then release the brake pedal.
View attachment 2263

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don,t think that the CHR in Canada is a hybrid.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Karmalakas said:
Yes, you have to. Turning off without a brake it goes to Off mode, but doesn't turn off the hybrid system. At least that's how I understand manual.
After you stop and switch to P you have to press Power button and only then release the brake pedal.
Screenshot_1.png
I will go and try it out but I think you might be mis-interpreting this. I think it means that you have to have your foot off the pedal for the final check. Not that you have to have your foot on the pedal to switch off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I stop the car, I come to a halt (foot on the brake), put it in park, release the brake and then push the start/stop button. All goes quiet. Never had an issue

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anixie said:
When I stop the car, I come to a halt (foot on the brake), put it in park, release the brake and then push the start/stop button. All goes quiet. Never had an issue
Same here no problems...

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
At least my Hybrid doesn't turn off if you're not holding brake pedal pressed. It goes to Accessory mode I believe

·
Registered
33 Posts
In any case you should not be able to leave the car (with the keys) without the beep beep signaling you leave the car with the engine still running.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Karmalakas said:
At least my Hybrid doesn't turn off if you're not holding brake pedal pressed. It goes to Accessory mode I believe
I tested this and that is definitely not what happens with mine ( the uk manual has the same section by the way, they just head it "Stopping the hybrid system").
The sequences I get are:
1. Pull up, put in P, lift foot off pedal, press "power" - goes off
2.. Pull up, put in P, leave foot on pedal, press "power" - goes off
3. Pull up, leave in "D", leave foot on pedal, press "power" - goes to "accessories" (with message to select P first)
couldn't' try option 3 with foot off pedal or I would go through the garage door!

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
Will have to test this :/ But I always forget and remember only when come home and check the posts :D
I'm so sure I have to press the brakes :/

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the brake pedal needs to be depressed when the C-HR is turned off.
In item 2 is said "shift the shift level to P" and this cannot be done unless the brake pedal is depressed.
In item 4 the brake pedal is released, but not before the power switch is printed.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
raija said:
I think the brake pedal needs to be depressed when the C-HR is turned off.
In item 2 is said "shift the shift level to P" and this cannot be done unless the brake pedal is depressed.
In item 4 the brake pedal is released, but not before the power switch is printed.
No it doesn't. I tested it and posted my results above.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I saw your test and did the same test in my car. The C-HR engine stops as you told. But the C-HR manual advises you to do it the other way.
And in another chapter otherwise ;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts