Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Tapping/Knocking from rear cabin.

61K views 63 replies 34 participants last post by  Jaffacake 
#1 ·
Hi All.

Super super happy with my CHR with the exception of one thing.

I have an annoying tapping/knocking sound coming from the rear somewhere but only when going over a speed bump/pot hole/rough bit of road.
I have removed everything out of the boot but it is still happening.

Anyone else have similar sounds and found out what they are? My hearing isn't the greatest so I'm having trouble locating where it is just from the sound. It literally just sounds like something is a bit loose and almost rattling.

Would appreciate some suggestions.

#52 ·
BILL_HYBRID said:
Karmalakas said:
What rubber blocks? Did you read about the strut?
Mate,I have read about the strut,but I don't think it can be adjusted.Only the rubber blocks can manage the movement of the tailgate.I believe that's the cause of the tapping sound problem.
Correct. I have the 2 liter 2020 model, same problem, very annoying and the rattling is difficult to locate. It's a bad coupling between the tailgate and the rubber blocks, that causes a lateral moving /vibration of the tailgate. I've put a thin rubber layer under the right tailgate rubber block (+ some grease) because the rattling in my case was coming mainly from the right side. Problem solved.
I think the flaw appears after some time, so isn't detected during the factory checks. Generally speaking I've noticed a good quality on the Toyota coupling of parts but yes, this is a bad flaw considering the car's class.

#55 ·
I took my CHR to garage after only 100 miles, they found loose wire behind rear door panel, was OK for a few hundred miles then started again. Took everything out of boot including parcel shelf, rear boot cover, polystyrene former that holds jack etc and small access panels from rear door panel but not cured. Even rode in back of boot for several miles to try to locate noise. Short of stripping whole back end out cant think of next option as dealer not happy I brought car back and did not want to spend time on free fault finding session.

#56 ·
I had this knocking issue on my 2001 Avenisis and tried everything to suppress it. Looks like the design is flawed or tailgate set is key to eliminating.
I've noticed my C-HR tailgate is under flush to bumper. This may be due to this issue. I've Re-adjusted striker to gain a flush between lamps and no rattle noticed yet.
Tailgate can have a Manufacturing tolerance of +/- 1.5mm so if at smaller extreme, may end up with no contact to buffers.
Try adjusting striker down a little and see if that eliminates any rattle.

#57 ·
Had our new orange edition delivered on 30.6.20. It took me 100 miles to get to the bottom of a constant rattling from the rear of the car. It literally drove me nuts and ruined the driving, and ownership experience of the car. Tried the parcel shelf, gas struts, seat belts, dropped rear seats all to no avail. Turned out to be the fuse cover next to the battery in the boot well. It was very loose even though attached properly and the sound transfering down the metal cage and transmitting and amplifying through the boot well. I lined the inside of the lid with velcro so it was a tight fit and hey presto problem solved.

#58 ·
Problem is, not all cars produced are tested for squeaks and rattles. Prototypes will be, however, parts are subject to variation in manufacture and processing at plant.
Manufacturers ( not all ) only audit sample. Some luxury car manufacturers road test all their cars over improvised road conditions listening for these issues. Toyota will be one of those who only audit due to volumes produced.
Make sure you report this to customer care team so they can feed it back to designers and build plant.

#59 ·
I have had my 2nd C-HR for 3 weeks, 200 miles, and have finally managed to identify the same problem that others are experiencing from the tailgate. Should have searched this forum first. Currently trying different adjustment/padding options to resolve this very annoying issue, which, as daft as it sounds, does detract from the enjoyment of driving this great car.

#60 ·
Just picked up my new 2.0 Excel yesterday and I'm experiencing the same knocking noise coming from the rear, not nice when my old one didn't do the same thing. Guess I will have to check all the usual suspect places and also the fuse cover as above to see if that fixes the issue, if not then a trip to the dealer again. Already having to get them to turn on the Road Sign Assist as it isn't switched on and is greyed out on the Vehicle settings, really annoying when you expect these to be already active.

#62 ·
An update for any of you still experiencing this issue. Picked my new 2.0 Excel on 1st Sept and had the knocking/tapping issue which was driving me insane. Spoke to my local dealer (Steven Eagell Cambridge) and they agreed to look at it along with a faulty wing mirror (great eh for a brand new car), anyway heard the noise but needed it longer to try and rectify the issue. 2 weeks later they had the car for 2 days and put some additional spacers in. Picked the car up and it was worse. Met the next day with the general manager and he agreed to keep the car until problem was located. Picked the car up yesterday and Toyota have replace all the rubber mounts on the tailgate and the inside of the boot. We now have no knocking/tapping and the car is as quiet as i would have expected from picking the car up.

It may be worth pointing this out to your dealer if you are having the same issues and asking them to change these out.

Hope this helps anyone out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.