Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Both my C-HR had paint protection applied by Toyota. I would definitely recommend it! Orange one still looks absolutely great after 2.5y. No scratches whatsoever. Although I have a small dent because if an idiot in a parking lot, opening the door like he/she owns the world.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My understanding is that the Dealer makes a nice profit on the deal and that the product may be applied by a technician who isn't as experienced as someone who does the job as a full time profession. Before you proceed I would suggest you speak to a local valet / detailer to see what treatment they would recommend to meet your criteria (there are several types) and what their price would be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My understanding is that the Dealer makes a nice profit on the deal and that the product may be applied by a technician who isn't as experienced as someone who does the job as a full time profession. Before you proceed I would suggest you speak to a local valet / detailer to see what treatment they would recommend to meet your criteria (there are several types) and what their price would be.
It's just a thought but when I got ours,a mate got his new car week later. It's not a Toyota and he had a paint protection done on it. I wash ours every 3-4weeks and he much the same.
To be honest and he'll admit he cannot get car to look showroom condition,as they quoted. I kno that it's supposed to stop blemishes etc,but it wasn't cheap.
I may be wrong but does this improve as much as they say. There's many products you can get at your local car accessory shops which when applied next time it's just quick hose down and dry comes up great no spots etc. It's just a thought,my friend says he wouldn't have it done again in the future.ps I think it also depends on who does it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Save your money

All the supaguard or whatever (Autoglym, whatever) they are selling is a quick once over by their wash guys and a nice little bag of goodies in the boot.

Same bag available on Amazon or in Halfords for about £80

i refused their offer as can do it better myself. Just a good wash, a light clay bar, and applied dodo juice wax. Then wash every few weeks and use decent products, two bucket wash, micro-fibres and Aquawax

sold last two cars at 5 years old and looked like new, same method

If you want a decent finish and don’t want to do it yourself find a local detailer - a couple of hundred more, but will be properly prepped and applied and last for ages

·
Registered
107 Posts
Save your money

All the supaguard or whatever (Autoglym, whatever) they are selling is a quick once over by their wash guys and a nice little bag of goodies in the boot.

Same bag available on Amazon or in Halfords for about £80

i refused their offer as can do it better myself. Just a good wash, a light clay bar, and applied dodo juice wax. Then wash every few weeks and use decent products, two bucket wash, micro-fibres and Aquawax

sold last two cars at 5 years old and looked like new, same method

If you want a decent finish and don’t want to do it yourself find a local detailer - a couple of hundred more, but will be properly prepped and applied and last for ages
A man after my own heart same here little elbow grease and 2hrs in peace and quiet as wife wouldn't be let near it👍

·
Registered
242 Posts
Question for you, how much is your time worth? Getting someone to do this for you is part of what you are paying for, plus being done in an undercover location (presumably). And, because we live in market economy, someone making a commission for booking the service. You can beat them down on this. If you used one of the online brokers to buy your car and specified this treatment in the price, you'd pay less than the list price.

When I hear people say I can do it cheaper themselves reminds me of the tight in-laws that always complain when you go to eat at a restaurant. Yes, if you waited til 5 mins before closing time and got the yellow ticket specials at Aldi, spent a day preparing everything yourself and then served it to everyone, do the washing up etc, it would be cheaper, but it's your effort your expending. It's back to economics and good old opportunity cost. What else could you do with that money and that time? What's worth more to you?

When I picked up my car with the Supagard treatment, there was another new C-HR next to it without it. Same colour. Ours looked shinier and brighter. 17 months later it's retained that shine. I'm restricted with where I can wash it and only once in the depths of winter took it to a hand car wash. The restriction also meant that I couldn't attempt to apply the Supagard treatment myself.

Finally, if anything goes wrong with the application or longevity of it, you may have more recourse than if you did it yourself.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Question for you, how much is your time worth? Getting someone to do this for you is part of what you are paying for, plus being done in an undercover location (presumably). And, because we live in market economy, someone making a commission for booking the service. You can beat them down on this. If you used one of the online brokers to buy your car and specified this treatment in the price, you'd pay less than the list price.

When I hear people say I can do it cheaper themselves reminds me of the tight in-laws that always complain when you go to eat at a restaurant. Yes, if you waited til 5 mins before closing time and got the yellow ticket specials at Aldi, spent a day preparing everything yourself and then served it to everyone, do the washing up etc, it would be cheaper, but it's your effort your expending. It's back to economics and good old opportunity cost. What else could you do with that money and that time? What's worth more to you?

When I picked up my car with the Supagard treatment, there was another new C-HR next to it without it. Same colour. Ours looked shinier and brighter. 17 months later it's retained that shine. I'm restricted with where I can wash it and only once in the depths of winter took it to a hand car wash. The restriction also meant that I couldn't attempt to apply the Supagard treatment myself.

Finally, if anything goes wrong with the application or longevity of it, you may have more recourse than if you did it yourself.
Think you misread my post. I wasn’t intending to say it was cheaper to do it myself, just better

its the quality of the product and it’s application I was saying is poor. All the dealer does is burst the sachet inside the sponge thing and give the car a quick wash with it

Next time you’re at the dealer, look at their wash bay. Same leathers being used on multiple cars.

i enjoy detailing my cars and bikes. Spend loads on decent products, two bucket wash, different microfibres for each stage and replace / downgrade them as they lose their nap

Not being tight, I’m fairly well off, I think, (six figure salary for last 20 odd years, various properties - no mortgages, no cash worries, ISAs maxed out, pension payments on limit, fly biz or first all the time, buy what I want when I want and have plenty of disposable income). Lots of mates drive round in Range Rovers, big beemers, have designer clothes (with logos) and laugh at me as I’m not flash. Just practical.

If I didn‘t want to do it myself I would get a detailer to do it properly, which costs a lot more than the dealer product

·
Registered
78 Posts
My cousin ran a valeting business with a team of valeters spread over several dealerships. I asked him about lifetime protection and his answer was something along the lines of - “it’s very good, but only when applied correctly & on new or very nearly new paint” he also said most of the time the valeters simply don’t have the time to do it properly!

Personally I wouldn’t bother, and I would simply give my car a good quality wax every few months. I accept not everyone can be bothered, but I actually enjoy doing this as the end result is worth it and if you use a good quality wax it’s not hard. I use Bilt Hamber wax & associated products as good value & easy to use and the wax lasts for ages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts