Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Few years ago Top Gear measured using their "math" how much drag open windows are adding to a car vs AC. And using AC won by a large margin.
Personally I hate the noise while driving with windows open, I'm unable to understand why people are doing that on a motorway! For me it's more of an audio comfort than saving some fuel. I love the sound effects Star Wars episode 1, during Luke Skywalker's race. But I don't want in my car!
On top, AC is the only good option to take humidity off the car. I'm keeping AC on every single time no matter the weather. 15-20 years ago AC would increase fuel consumption, but that's history.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Few years ago Top Gear measured using their "math" how much drag open windows are adding to a car vs AC. And using AC won by a large margin.
Personally I hate the noise while driving with windows open, I'm unable to understand why people are doing that on a motorway! For me it's more of an audio comfort than saving some fuel. I love the sound effects Star Wars episode 1, during Luke Skywalker's race. But I don't want in my car!
On top, AC is the only good option to take humidity off the car. I'm keeping AC on every single time no matter the weather. 15-20 years ago AC would increase fuel consumption, but that's history.
Same here, had climate control in last few cars and just leave it on 95% of the time. Just adjust temp summer to winter
only turn it off the odd time windows are down.

Dont forget if you rarely use it the seals will go and leave you with a big bill. So sort of makes the ‘saving cash’ discussion irrelevant

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
288 Posts
Dealer told me using air con will not affect performance ie acceleration.Is this correct?
Yes.

Air conditioning compressor is electric on C-HR hybrids, it's not belt driven so no additional load on the engine.

I just leave the climate control system on all the time, I don't drive with windows open.

Reactions: Huey

·
Registered
107 Posts
Same here, had climate control in last few cars and just leave it on 95% of the time. Just adjust temp summer to winter
only turn it off the odd time windows are down.

Dont forget if you rarely use it the seals will go and leave you with a big bill. So sort of makes the ‘saving cash’ discussion irrelevant
When our last car Aircon packed after 1400miles on the clock,it suddenly misted up the cars interior in seconds not nice on a motorway at 70 managed to get off road turn it off. Had to drive home with all windows open,boy did my ears hurt.I may be wrong but had a Volvo for 3mths Aircon when you stopped in traffic etc switched to a second battery to run the cooling system.ps I've never turned off auto Aircon ever Arghhhh getting home smelling like a wet dog,best thing invented for me apart from chocolate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts