Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 plate C-HR and wondered if I can have/need a later version of the software on the Infotainment System? It does not say there is one available when I check in the car, should the Main Dealer do it? (my car is going in for something next week).
My friend has just had a 2022 plate and their display looks far more modern than mine but they are unsure what the dealer did for them but seem to think it involved an app of their phone?

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
A 21 plate will have the older infotainment system fitted with the buttons around the screen edges.

A 22 plate should have the newer Smart connect infotainment system fitted with just one volume knob in the bottom left corner ( unless it's an Icon spec or old 21 MY stock )

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would assume this is your entertainment unit: Google Image Result for https://car-images.bauersecure.com/wp-images/12859/toyotachr18.jpg

If so, no, this unit will never tell you there is an update.
You have few options
1. Ask dealer to upgrade it to latest software
2. You can download the software from Toyota site. It's somewhere in eStore. This applies if car has built in navigation.
3. You can download from Toyota streamtechdoc site. This is the trickiest and should me the last resort. But it's the only "home" option for cars without built in navigation (like my Orange C-HR).

Ultimately keep in mind: if it's not broken, don't fix it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I have attached the standard display and the one I get through a wired connection to my Android Auto app on my phone. So can I not have Smart Connect with this age of car?
Radio Communication Device Clock Audio equipment Multimedia
Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Telephony Mobile phone

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
If you want Smart Connect you need a 22 MY C-HR above Icon spec BUT Smart connect on a C-HR wouldn't gain you wireless Android Auto - it still requires a USB cable.

There are various dongles available that plug in to the USB port that will give you a wireless connection for Android Auto.

I use a AA Wireless dongle - worked in my previous 308 T9 with NAC infotainment & works in my Smart Connect C-HR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want Smart Connect you need a 22 MY C-HR above Icon spec BUT Smart connect on a C-HR wouldn't gain you wireless Android Auto - it still requires a USB cable.

There are various dongles available that plug in to the USB port that will give you a wireless connection for Android Auto.

I use a AA Wireless dongle - worked in my previous 308 T9 with NAC infotainment & works in my Smart Connect C-HR.
Many thanks

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
Smart Connect doesn't have Amazon Music, Audible, What's App, Facebook messenger or Signal App - I need Android Auto for those.

Smart Connect is more for the built in live up to date mapping & live traffic etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm so much clearer now, thank you.
Will my built in maps on my navigation system gradually go out of date?
Also, would I need to use something on Android Auto to give traffic updates and if so which app or is there something on the built in options?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also, would I need to use something on Android Auto to give traffic updates and if so which app or is there something on the built in options?
Yep, maps will eventually get outdated but not the end of the world as most roads stay where they are
My last car I never updated the maps and sold it at 5 yrs old and never an issue

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use the app sometimes it's( Waze) gives you a little more info picked up an accident few weeks back which I avoided traffic was backed up 4-5miles by someone who was stuck in it. Try it might be a fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts