Toyota C-HR Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
PJPLONDON said:
I'm really disappointed in the auto hybrid 's performance during this cold spell. Fortunately I didn't ' need ' to use it, as some who work every day would have had to, but driving in this morning, any road that had not been gritted became a challenge.
Any brake application met with sharp shuddering and skidding. Please don't, wrongly, presume it's due to a 'heavy foot' , I am an advanced driver and have completed many high speed driving courses. I can only presume that it's down to how light the vehicle has been made to enable battery power. My real bug bear is paying over 30k for a car then expected to pay an extra 1k on extra tyres!. I have only my previous car for comparison but no such problems with my Citroen, I'm wondering if it's because Japan has less experience with snow.
Sorry to contradict you, but shuddering and skidding IS too heavy a right foot - by definition. If it was not shuddering it would sliding on the ice. I have just been out in mine and it hardly happenned to me.

· Registered
34 Posts
So tonight was my first experience in driving my 1.2 in the snow, got caught in a massive jam so decided to take a chance through the lanes, really pleased, car was really solid, I had two GT 's before they were fun !!!!!. Only gripe was had a " snow warning" which u could turn off but kept turning on again, beeps , pictures of snow, very informative, but a touch annoying. Still car felt very solid
Cheers Paul :D

· Registered
178 Posts
I've been out today in varied conditions and was very happy. My CHR is now the first choice in snow, my husbands C- class wouldn't handle the snowy hills at all whilst the CHR just trundles along with no problem

· Registered
92 Posts
Haven't driven in snow/ice like this for many years luckily.

I can't say my 1.2T manual has given me any more concern in the conditions than previous cars. Just driven to the conditions.

Washers or jets frozen. May be due to temperature. The screen wash was a winter one though. Worked ok today. But it's slightly warmer now so working.

· Registered
279 Posts
Short story was mine got me home but it is the worst braking experience ive ever had. I gave up using them after it dragged me down into a ditch. Ive been driving in snow loads and always manage to feather the brakes to avoid abs and never lost control like that. Sounded and felt like someone threw 5000 marbles under my wheels. Constant activation.

Ive overtaken struggling 4x4s uphill in a toyota celica and honda crx before (one was a police vehicle) .

Eco mode was the way forward. Maybe b mode would have helped. I kept pressing traction control to turn it off but nothing happened.

Anyway just for giggles check out who was at the back of a pile up that was part of the reason I had to take the A road. He didnt think much of the brakes and had the most warning. Thanks for closing the motorway dude

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/926241/m20-traffic-latest-update-snow-travel-storm-emma-uk-weather

· Registered
815 Posts
I am puzzled about why suddering in the snow is regarded as a negative thing in the posts above. In the recent snow (we had about 3 inches) I had to make few small errands amounting to about 25 miles in total. I was driving very gently and it did not shudder for me exceot for one incident. On an untreated sideroad as I approached a 90 degree bend I could see the car coming the other way was going too fast to make it round the corner so instinctively I braked - too hard for the conditions. It shuddered but stopped without skidding, allowing space for other man to skid out on the corner and miss me. Shudderring is a GOOD thing.Its doing its job.

· Registered
7 Posts
With the hybrid in the snow around town put it in B as the engine slows the car and you hardly have to touch the brakes. That said I was happy my neighbour with a 4wd Honda took my wife to the hospital where she works during the worst of the weather last week.

· Registered
1 Posts
Old post but still relevant. Driving in snow requires a little skill. The car can't do it all for you. Gentle gas and braking is key. Imagine you are being towed but the towrope is weak so it will work if you don't snatch it and that's the same with traction on slippery surfaces. Eco mode ideal for that by reducing power on the gas pedal.

· Registered
39 Posts
I passed comment on handling in the snow to my main dealer, particularly on narrow steep country lanes. I felt the braking wasn't as good as I would have liked it to have been. It was suggested to me that I should drive using the B selection. I have never had the opportunity to test that out as I've not been on the country lanes when the snow has been down recently as I've been on the joyous trip to work.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts