Not much look at page 213.

While Drive-Start Control is being activated, your vehicle may have trouble
escaping from the mud or fresh snow. In such case, deactivate TRC to cancel
Drive-Start Control so that the vehicle may become able to escape from
the mud or fresh snow.

· Registered
815 Posts
Thegreatt said:
Is there a mode that makes it easier to drive in snow?
There is SOME benefit from using eco mode as you get smoother acceleration, (and deceleration)

· Registered
54 Posts
I have a feeling this could be the worst car I've ever driven in the snow. Haven't had the pleasure of testing this theory just yet but, it's wheel spun, out of my drive, in the wet, in eco mode, so I'm not looking forward to when the snow, in London, gets worse! :-(

· Registered
730 Posts
Im surprised how good it handles in the snowy (and wet snow/ice slushpuppy) conditions here.
Using the ECO mode gives you good control of the traction. In Normal or sport mode there is too much and too quick wheelspin because there is too much torque.

So... relax, slow down and keep your ride rolling! ;)

· Premium Member
1,536 Posts
PJPLONDON said:
I have a feeling this could be the worst car I've ever driven in the snow. Haven't had the pleasure of testing this theory just yet but, it's wheel spun, out of my drive, in the wet, in eco mode, so I'm not looking forward to when the snow, in London, gets worse! :-(
Same here. Eco mode and wheels (winter tyres) spinning even on nearly dry tarmac. I suppose it's more a tyres' problem than all the traction control system. Had no problem with summer tyres in same conditions. I just hope, when the snow falls more (now it's just wet all the time), these tyres Toyota dealer sold me, will show their better side

· Registered
41 Posts
Good winter tires and you have no issues.
The Bridgestone Blizzak LM80 that dealer offers in Belgium are kind of crappy, I had much better, Conti wintersport 830, Uniroyal MS 77, both much better.

For winter driving is hard to blame any car, tyre quality is essential.

· Registered
815 Posts
Karmalakas said:
PJPLONDON said:
Same here. Eco mode and wheels (winter tyres) spinning even on nearly dry tarmac. I suppose it's more a tyres' problem than all the traction control system. Had no problem with summer tyres in same conditions. I just hope, when the snow falls more (now it's just wet all the time), these tyres Toyota dealer sold me, will show their better side
Personally I would suspect its a right foot problem if you are spinning wheels!!!

· Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I know when my right foot gets heavy :D Even light braking triggers ABS
Previously had BMW E39 2,8l 142kW - same situations, same locations and never had such experience

· Registered
554 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
leeloo said:
Good winter tires and you have no issues.
The Bridgestone Blizzak LM80 that dealer offers in Belgium are kind of crappy, I had much better, Conti wintersport 830, Uniroyal MS 77, both much better.

For winter driving is hard to blame any car, tyre quality is essential.
Stay far away from the Uniroyal MS+77. They deform easily. Go for the Continental, or Michelin Pilot Alpin 4.
Anyway, the Uniroyals are not produced in 225/50R18, so no problem there :)

· Registered
172 Posts
I have the Yokohama W-drive 215/60/17. They do it very well. Not the cheapest.

· Registered
730 Posts
Like my Michelin Alpin5 wintertires more as the original Michelin Primacy summer tires.. much more quiet!

· Registered
15 Posts
I haven't had any issues yet in the snow with mine. I'm running blizzak ws80's. Stock 18" size. We have had some good snowfall here where I live in Canada, and this car got thru it no problem. I didn't experience any wheel spin and I was on normal mode. Night and day difference between the Chr and the FRS. Lol

· Registered
54 Posts
I'm really disappointed in the auto hybrid 's performance during this cold spell. Fortunately I didn't ' need ' to use it, as some who work every day would have had to, but driving in this morning, any road that had not been gritted became a challenge.
Any brake application met with sharp shuddering and skidding. Please don't, wrongly, presume it's due to a 'heavy foot' , I am an advanced driver and have completed many high speed driving courses. I can only presume that it's down to how light the vehicle has been made to enable battery power. My real bug bear is paying over 30k for a car then expected to pay an extra 1k on extra tyres!. I have only my previous car for comparison but no such problems with my Citroen, I'm wondering if it's because Japan has less experience with snow.

· Registered
681 Posts
The sharp shuddering is the abs system that kicks in so you have to break with less power.
I don,t see any relevanty with many high speed driving courses and snowy road condiotions.
Don,t think the vehicle is light made
C-HR 1.2T Premium 1365 kg
C-HR 1.8 Hybrid Style 1355 kg
And what citroen you talking about

My real bug bear is paying over 30k for a car than expected to pay an extra 1k on extra tyres.
I suppose by now everybody knows that by snowy and icy conditions you need winter tires or at least
all seasons.

A few car these day,s are delivered with all season tyres but the overall majority has summer tires.
So this means for driving under winter conditions you need winter tires (Mercedes, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Renault etc)

I'm wondering if it's because Japan has less experience with snow.
Toyota has more than enough experience with snow in Europe and the USA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts