Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
Hello Everyone,

With the rising level of keyless car thefts lately, can I please ask what security have people put in their C-HR to protect themselves.

Thanks.
Forkingabout and co are right the newer CHR have had a change to key fob, but if your worried Faraday bag or like Xan put a simple steering lock on. I believe CHR are not high on Cat theft either due to its positioning near engine. I think it was Huey who said the Prius was more of a hit for Cat theft at local taxi rank etc. Living rural it's the big toys they like Land Rover Evoque,Q7 and a local farmer had his old Short Wheelbase Land Rover took but they ditched it 5miles away he said they probably got shook to death and car sickness by that time and left it.

· Registered
398 Posts
My faraday pouches have been retired since I got rid of my previous keyless equipped vehicle, the newer Toyota keyless system just doesn't need them.
My 2020 Orange is about 1m away from the house about 2m away where I keep the keys. 1 door in between. I cannot unlock the door unless I take the key outside the house.
I tried to see if car "sees" the key few seconds after I get the key in the house. And it doesn't. Nor if I move the key while in the house.
I played the same game with my key that has the same battery since 2020 and with the other key that I had to replace the battery last autumn.
A faraday protection is not a need in my case.

· Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
534 Posts
My 2020 Orange is about 1m away from the house about 2m away where I keep the keys. 1 door in between. I cannot unlock the door unless I take the key outside the house.
I tried to see if car "sees" the key few seconds after I get the key in the house. And it doesn't. Nor if I move the key while in the house.
I played the same game with my key that has the same battery since 2020 and with the other key that I had to replace the battery last autumn.
I'd definitely try locking the car then placing the key on floor next to the car, waiting a few minutes & see if they key has gone to sleep / vehicle stays locked when you try the handle.

I wasn't aware pre 21MY had been upgraded with the newer secure keyless fobs.

· Registered
815 Posts
I fear you misunderstand the situation, If your key can be detected outside your front door (which is very likely with 1m distance) then the thieves can relay that signal to a device by the car which convinces the car the key is nearby and lets them open the door and drive away the car. It has nothing to do with if your car can ”see” the key inside your house.

Reactions: forkingabout1978

· Registered
730 Posts
Here, other side of the sea the RAV4 is most stolen car. Thieves dont even need to copy signal of your keys anymore to take it away.. with a OBD-Hack device the car can be started in 5 seconds..

Best anti-theft system imo is a Bear-Lock. It locks your car mechanical in P.

· Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
534 Posts
Here, other side of the sea the RAV4 is most stolen car. Thieves dont even need to copy signal of your keys anymore to take it away.. with a OBD-Hack device the car can be started in 5 seconds..

Best anti-theft system imo is a Bear-Lock. It locks your car mechanical in P.
RAV4 CAN invader hack is starting to become a problem here in UK as well, no access to OBD port required - the left front headlamp connector plug is the weak point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts