Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CHR is about to have its 4th windscreen in less than a year.

1st windscreen cracked and was replaced under warranty, 2nd windscreen was scratched before I even drove it out of the garage. 3rd windscreen has developed 3 scratches in an arch across the drivers view in little more than 2 months.

Toyota have refused to accept that there is any fault with regard to windscreen scratching. They say there are no other known cases. it's been going on so long now I have put it through the insurance and I am having the windscreen replaced myself.

I thought I had been unlucky when the windscreen cracked, turns out that was a fault. I now can't help but think the scratching is fault too especially considering the last screen was scratched before even leaving the garage. The other thing that makes me suspicious is that I have another make of car sitting on the driveway with 100k on the clock and not a mark on the windscreen. I have done nothing different with the new car.

I suspect the windscreens are just of terrible quality. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had scratch issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
none on my car ,so see what others say

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
How did the first scratch look like before leaving garage? And are the three new scratches the same? Could you take a photo? I'm driving C-HR every day for more than 7 months now and no scratches yet.

·
Registered
681 Posts
After one year no scratches at all so I don,t expect that it is something related to Toyota.
I must notice that I don,t understand why we are hearing it just now. You never mentioned about the cracked windscreen while there was a very long topic about it and then out of the blue, you are coming with scratches probably because of the windscreens are just of terrible quality.
I keep an open mind but I think it is barking on the wrong tree.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As posted previously I work in the automotive glass industry so feel able to comment. Glass doesn't scratch itself so need to come in contact with some type of abrasive. scratches happen in transit or during handling before fitment. Once fitted assuming the glass is undamaged the only way glass can be scratched is due to outside influences. Grit under the wipers, grit or dirt on cleaning clothes etc. I have seen glass scratches cause by diamond rings when wiping the interior.
As for glass quality, Glass is made on float lines and raw glass is the same wheather it's made for automotive or architectural. It's only the thickness that changes. Typicaly Float lines focus on producing one or the other not both. There are also quality standards for glass in Europe is EC43r and in the US its DOT. As the CH-R is made in Turkey the glass will have to comply with EC43 standards.

I understand your frustration but I would look for something you do to your car when cleaning, definitely change your wipers and as soon as you new glass fitted check for scratches before paying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cracked windscreen was a known fault. When mine cracked it was common knowledge it would seem. I just find it very strange that the 2nd windscreen was scratched before it even left the workshop and now the 3rd is scratched after 2 months. Maybe I have been very unlucky. Time will tell I guess with the 4th windscreen being replaced by the insurance. It's only cost me £95 excess so it's not the end of the world, but I thought it would be worth putting it out there incase others have had similar "Bad luck"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasp28, thanks for your reply, the only other thing I can think of is the ice scraper. I'm going to change the wipers and never use a scraper on it. It's the same scraper I always use on the other car too without incident. If I knew what it was I would be happier because I would make sure the cause was removed. Being on the 4th windscreen does however put doubt in your mind as to the quality. I'm going to get it changed, be super careful and put it down to bad luck. Time will tell!

·
Registered
759 Posts
QWERTYUIOP said:
Wasp28, thanks for your reply, the only other thing I can think of is the ice scraper. I'm going to change the wipers and never use a scraper on it. It's the same scraper I always use on the other car too without incident. If I knew what it was I would be happier because I would make sure the cause was removed. Being on the 4th windscreen does however put doubt in your mind as to the quality. I'm going to get it changed, be super careful and put it down to bad luck. Time will tell!
You mention the scratches are in an arch on the drivers side. If the arch matches the sweep of the wipers then that would point the finger at the wipers. Also most people use ice scrapers in straight lines - do you? If so then the ice scraper should not be a suspect. I have never had scratches on a windscreen in 44 yrs of motoring ( incuding 12 mths with chr) so it seems very odd to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have a slight curve but not to match the arch of the wipers exactly. I've never had any scratches in all my years of motoring either. It is indeed very strange, I'm still convinced the windscreens are of poor quality whatever the cause of the scratching. Unfortunately it dosen't seem to be a widespread problem and I'm just going to chalk it up as bad luck. I've had the car for nearly a year now and apart from the first couple of months its never been right. It takes Toyota an absolute age to make a decision, I was driving round with a cracked windscreen for I don't know how long. It amazes me that Toyota supposedly go "out of stock" yet one call to a windscreen repair company and they can replace it next week. Same old story, can't do enough for you when they are selling the car, go back with a problem and its a whole different matter. I'm so fed up with it now I'm going to pay the £95 excess, get the windscreen replaced, draw a line under it and then never use anything on the screen again.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
QWERTYUIOP said:
draw a line under it and then never use anything on the screen again.
thats the best thing you can do ,i never use anything i let the demist do its job

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Finally took a pic of my windscreen. It hasn't been a year and my windscreen looks worse than a 20 year old windscreen on my previous car :/
If driving towards the sun, scratches really doesn't help
Atmosphere Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Light

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.