Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fuel are people putting in their 2.0L, is it worth the extra few pence for Super Unleaded ??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Used Shell V-Power in my last car (310+ bhp) but that specified 99 oct.

Normal is fine for this engine as not that high bhp.

Shell, Texaco or BP is fine as they include additives, but avoid supermarkets as they buy on the spot markets in Rotterdam, so no additives, it’s whatever is cheapest that week

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have used Asda petrol in my CHRs for 5 yrs. No problem. I have put one of the “super” petrols in a couple of times. Slight improvement in smoothness but no better mpg, so dont bother now.

Reactions: ScomadiFP200

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have used Asda petrol in my CHRs for 5 yrs. No problem. I have put one of the “super” petrols in a couple of times. Slight improvement in smoothness but no better mpg, so dont bother now.
Tesco had a big issue a few years back. ETTO but I stick with the main petrol companies as they have better and consistent detergents and additives rather than whatever was available on the spot markets - but that’s because I’ve had 99 Ron only cars In the past, so force of habit

·
Registered
532 Posts
I can only speak for where I live, but here, most of the tankers fill up at a uni-tank, so it makes no difference, unless you use a higher octane

Reactions: flyboy3

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can only speak for where I live, but here, most of the tankers fill up at a uni-tank, so it makes no difference, unless you use a higher octane
I tend to agree we have a fuel facility close by and there's every make of tankers coming and going. Huey was right about higher octane. But changing track, working in the building industry,I was at a barn conversion thousands of turkeys in the sheds,the chap was leaning at the door,
He says to me can you spot a famous supermarkets turkey in here they all look the same to me,with a wry smile. Always struck a chord with me ever since

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The original post was more about E5 or E10, alot of people have jumped on supermarket V branded garages.

So I'll go back to my original post, E5 or E10 ???

·
Registered
305 Posts
The original post was more about E5 or E10, alot of people have jumped on supermarket V branded garages.

Maybe because e5 is the premium / higher octane fuel....

Toyota say e10 is fine for the CHR, so use it.
Premium e5 fuels, Momentum, V Power etc do seem better for high performance cars as have more additives. Debate above (and my data came from an oil company engineer friend) seems to indicate more additives and maybe better for the car in long run, but lots of debate on various forums And does seem slightly better performance but higher cost negates this for economy...

ETTO but I would go with what’s on the fuel filler cover on each car. My last car stated e5 / 99 Ron, CHR doesn’t

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
287 Posts

Normal unleaded is now E10.

I'm sticking with E5 Momentum.

Whenever I've used E10 it just gives worse mpg.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Only BP 98 Ultimate for me.. its E0 so not any ethanol in it.
Best performance, best MPG, enige runs very smooth.. win-win!

Our hybrid ICE engines runs very short each time and if so.. power is asked.
Besides that.. im so happy with my C-HR and the MPG that it deserves that few bucks more for a high-quality fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
just been on a long run 250 miles e5 on way there and used just over half a tank and e10 on the way back because it was all I could get and it used 3/4 of a tank so, I think I will stick with e5 ,little bit more expensive but goes further

Reactions: ScomadiFP200

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a new owner of the 2.0L C-HR but I've always used the higher octane fuel, and never the E10, and this trend will continue for me with the C-HR. Ethanol burns a lot faster than regular fuel so while it may be cheaper, you'll get less miles from a tank so paying the little extra kind of pays for itself as you'll go further on a tank and have better additives. I was forced to use E10 once during the fuel panic buying fiasco and my old car get a lot less miles as compared to using V-power.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm a new owner of the 2.0L C-HR but I've always used the higher octane fuel, and never the E10, and this trend will continue for me with the C-HR. Ethanol burns a lot faster than regular fuel so while it may be cheaper, you'll get less miles from a tank so paying the little extra kind of pays for itself as you'll go further on a tank and have better additives. I was forced to use E10 once during the fuel panic buying fiasco and my old car get a lot less miles as compared to using V-power.
I was thinking of this the other day,my last two tank fills E10 have returned by all calculated maths 62.3 and 61.9 and it's 2.0. I not a Miss Daisy type of motorist and drive almost like I would drive a non hybrid. Will in all fairness E5 make a huge difference,in some cars like folks say here you need the more refined higher octane for cars from our old boy racer days. My next fill gonna try the higher grade just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking of this the other day,my last two tank fills E10 have returned by all calculated maths 62.3 and 61.9 and it's 2.0. I not a Miss Daisy type of motorist and drive almost like I would drive a non hybrid. Will in all fairness E5 make a huge difference,in some cars like folks say here you need the more refined higher octane for cars from our old boy racer days. My next fill gonna try the higher grade just out of curiosity.
It did in my last car (Toyota Celica) as I gained an extra 7-8 miles before I lost the first notch on my fuel gauge. That's quite a gain so stuck with the premium ever since. When I had to had to fill it up with E10, when that's all the petrol station had left, I was burning through the fuel like anything. I usually use half a tank in a week to get to work and it used 3/4 of a tank that week. That was enough proof for me even with one fill up of E10.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It did in my last car (Toyota Celica) as I gained an extra 7-8 miles before I lost the first notch on my fuel gauge. That's quite a gain so stuck with the premium ever since. When I had to had to fill it up with E10, when that's all the petrol station had left, I was burning through the fuel like anything. I usually use half a tank in a week to get to work and it used 3/4 of a tank that week. That was enough proof for me even with one fill up of E10.
So 8 miles extra on 1/8 of a tank?
Means about an 8% increase - pretty much the same as the extra cost over standard?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So 8 miles extra on 1/8 of a tank?
Means about an 8% increase - pretty much the same as the extra cost over standard?
The Celica had 20 segments to it's fuel gauge and on E10, I couldn't get it to 50 miles before I lost the first segment as it always went to around 47-48 miles. I changed to V-Power on a nearly empty tank and I got to 53 miles before I lost the first segment. After around 4 full fill ups, I was easily getting to 55-56 miles before the first segment disappeared and that convinced me that it's worth paying the extra for more miles and better additives. I also had a slightly better throttle response and when I was forced to fill up with E10 once, as that's all they had, I could feel the difference in the throttle response so I've stuck with the premium ever since.

Bear in mind that this is with an 03 plate Celica, I have no idea what difference it makes in a 2.0L C-HR as I've only had it for two months and I've only ever put premium in it. The hybrid does have a petrol engine though so it would make sense, going by my experience with the Celica, that the results would be similar.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The Celica had 20 segments to it's fuel gauge and on E10, I couldn't get it to 50 miles before I lost the first segment as it always went to around 47-48 miles. I changed to V-Power on a nearly empty tank and I got to 53 miles before I lost the first segment. After around 4 full fill ups, I was easily getting to 55-56 miles before the first segment disappeared and that convinced me that it's worth paying the extra for more miles and better additives. I also had a slightly better throttle response and when I was forced to fill up with E10 once, as that's all they had, I could feel the difference in the throttle response so I've stuck with the premium ever since.

Bear in mind that this is with an 03 plate Celica, I have no idea what difference it makes in a 2.0L C-HR as I've only had it for two months and I've only ever put premium in it. The hybrid does have a petrol engine though so it would make sense, going by my experience with the Celica, that the results would be similar.
Im fairly sure that electronic fuel systems have advanced a bit in the last 20 years

My Golf R was meant to run on 99 but if you used standard the EMS adjusted so not much difference

ETTO on this I think

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used Shell V-Power in my last car (310+ bhp) but that specified 99 oct.

Normal is fine for this engine as not that high bhp.

Shell, Texaco or BP is fine as they include additives, but avoid supermarkets as they buy on the spot markets in Rotterdam, so no additives, it’s whatever is cheapest that week
I’ve never used any hyped up additive petrol for any car I have owned. To me they make little if any difference. A bit of a con but hey use if it makes you feel happy.
I currently fill up at Costco , as it’s cheapest by a lot, but it does state it contains additives, so best of both worlds ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’ve never used any hyped up additive petrol for any car I have owned. To me they make little if any difference. A bit of a con but hey use if it makes you feel happy.
I currently fill up at Costco , as it’s cheapest by a lot, but it does state it contains additives, so best of both worlds ?
I've posted in this thread and said I would try a full tank of E5 well two fills to be precise and first result 80% was E5 and result to maybe to a squeeze 64mpg. Run it till almost fuel light on filled up again 64.6. I do drive it like an ordinary car really the only thing I did notice even on the first fill was it felt slicker,even more so with full tank I would say slightly more refined is the bracket I would put it in. To me personally in today's crazy world I'll stick to whoever is the cheapest and convenient. Good to try it tho

1 - 20 of 20 Posts