Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Only had my C-HR for 3 days now and absolutely loving it!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you kind souls could give me the head's up on fitting LED bulbs for the number plate? I have invested in some nice
new Osram LED's for the rear number plate & I see there are 2 almost-square panels on the rear hatch interior. I removed one of these panels and have located the bulb holder. Trouble is... I have pulled it & tried twisting it - but all to no avail. Is there a trick to undoing the holder? I have pulled hard & tried twisting hard - but I don't want to break anything. It sure seems a sturdy fit! I know several of you have replaced the ones that Toyota install at the factory but they are pretty naff and the LED upgrade looks so much better. Any tips/help as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance & cheers.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Push gently and twist

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DutCHR said:
I got complete LED units from Germany in stead of LED bulbs. The ones for Prius are 1:1 plug&play
Not cheap but quality. Needs some more work to fit (remove inside reardoor trim and also outer panel) but looks awesome.

https://www.blauertacho4u.de/24-SMD-LED-Kennzeichenbeleuchtung-Toyota-Prius.html
Cheers DutCHR. I don't really fancy tearing the whole trim off but I admire your determination!

As an aside; is there an LED limit as to which bulbs you can fit? I've seen 4000, 6000 and 8,000 brightness ones advertised (I've bought the 6000 ones) and I notice some have a blue/white effect, etc... which would be cool on my Nebula blue C-HR. Can some of them get too hot? The bulbs I have purchased are the Osram 'bulb' type as opposed to the cheap Chinese ones that tend to last just a few months... apparently.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are you sure these numbers are lumen?
Because you would blind the entire street.

I think those are kelvin. The whiteness of the light.
I don't like the white light so I chose 2700k, this is warm white like halogen bulbs. A higher number is more white 8000k is even becoming bluish.

Like Ans said. Gentle push and turn. If I remember correctly counter clockwise is lock (opposite of normal screws)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mjvdzwet said:
Are you sure these numbers are lumen?
Because you would blind the entire street.

I think those are kelvin. The whiteness of the light.
I don't like the white light so I chose 2700k, this is warm white like halogen bulbs. A higher number is more white 8000k is even becoming bluish.

Like Ans said. Gentle push and turn. If I remember correctly counter clockwise is lock (opposite of normal screws)
Hi mjvdzwet. Yes - they are kelvin. There is a really good video on YouTube where a guy installs 4000, 6000 and 8000 LED bulbs (in his car sidelights) and shows you day & night video of the results. He prefers 4000 but the 6000K looked better/crisper/whiter to me - so I went with them... or rather I will when I finally get them installed tomorrow. I hope to eventually replace all of the interior bulbs with LED's - but I don't want to go too bright. The boot light looks straight forward enough - but the 2 ceiling ones look a little daunting. Also, I don't want the cheaper Chinese ones - so I'm hoping I can find Osram or Philips 'bulb' type LED's for both the roof lights?

Finally - is there anything I should be worried about as regards CAN Bus (not that I fully understand what that is!)? Does it effect the C-HR's wiring loom?

Cheers all.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
@ ans,

I bought the ones you listed, so far I've changed one and that was in the courtesy light, but had a few spare so not a prob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.