Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thought it may be helpful for Melbourne and other Australian readers to hear of my experience last Monday (2nd May), given reporting on supply delays, restricted Australian quota (only 6K cars will be shipped in 2017) etc.

Also a comment on the so-called 'no discount' Toyota Head Office policy resulting from such restrictions.

I walked into a Melbourne Toyota dealership on Monday afternoon, with the intention of buying a new Corolla Hybrid as my old car needed urgent replacement. I had been intending to wait a year or so for a new C-HR, having been put off by the supply shortage stories, and hoping for a reasonable discount in future once supply was more ample, but my old car had other ideas.

Sat in the Hybrid Corolla and decided I didn't like it - I have been spoilt by driving my wife's new Honda HR-V. Told the dealer if I could drive away tomorrow in a C-HR, I would buy it immediately. He said he had THREE available immediately - a silver C-HR Auto 2WD, a White Koba, and a black C-HR Auto 2WD. The last two were sitting on the showroom floor (ie. demo models).

Thought the price uplift was too high for the Koba, given that I couldn't see the value in the largely cosmetic 'extras' it provides, so I said I would take the silver C-HR (base model), if the price was right.

The sales guy said he couldn't discount it due to a supposed 'no discount' Toyota Head Office policy, but he could discount the Black one on the floor as it was a demonstrator with 248 Km on the clock. I did the deal and drove away happily with it the next day.

I am not a legal practitioner however I have a good layman's understanding of Australian Consumer Law and I suspect it would be illegal for Toyota to prevent an Australian dealer from discounting - either a new or demo model. This is a practice known as 'Price Fixing' and any company engaging in it in Australia will be heavily fined. Therefore, you may wish to call BS if a dealer tells you they can't discount. Of course, they may still not drop the price, however they can't use 'Head Office won't allow it' as an excuse.

Hopefully my story will give aspiring Australian C-HR owners some comfort that the supply shortage stories may be a little overcooked - at least, if you are willing to consider taking what is available, rather than waiting for exactly what you want.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
hello and welcome , no discount here ,its not really price fixing but more we have what you want and we will not give it away cheap the old take it or leave it, but i dont mind i have car that i love

·
Registered
388 Posts
Congrats. Love Melbourne, and dining on the trams was a lifetime highlight for us some years back. I was heavily into Subarus back then, and the main dealership showroom at Docklands was awesome too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CORRECTION:

After further research, my original post needs updating.

The illegal practice (in Australia) to which I should have referred is RRP maintenance, not Price fixing. From the Australian Government business website;

https://www.business.gov.au/info/run/fair-trading/pricing-regulations

RRP maintenance:

RRP is only a recommendation to the reseller. It's illegal for a supplier to pressure a reseller into selling their products at or above a certain price, or threaten to cut off supply if their price demands are not met.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes that is quite common in consumer law - hard to prove though especially where demand is really high and dealers can use it as an excuse not to give discounts.

Welcome by the way and hope you love your car as much as the rest of us do. Also love Melbourne.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome, enjoy your CHR and the forum, you could call Toyota HO, and tell them you feel you were pressure sold the car from the dealer, good luck, you may not get to change the car, but the deer might offer you some accessories for your car after Toyota HO contact the dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Jlp. I couldn't be buggered dealing with purchasing a new car again - It does my head in dealing with those smarmy salesmen

I used a car broker this time round and they negotiated my trade in as well - so it may just be accounting

But I got Just under 5K for my old car and and just under $800 discount

They are still scarce - The Black Koba I was considering also - would have been Xmas

The Tidal Blue must have already been part of the Dealers consignment as only a seven (now 3 :) ) week wait

Where did you buy from ? Patterson-Cheney is doing mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.