Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have a 2018 Toyota C-HR with Touch 2 with Go.
The DAB signal is extremely weak. I lose the DAB signal even in the city.
The DAB antenna is just a thin wire included in the front windshield, so I don't expect too much of reception. I know that the antennas are separate: DAB in the windshield and AM/FM on the roof. I guess the AM/FM antenna has an amplifier either.

My question is: Has anyone tried to improve DAB reception? Did you insert an amplifier on the cable? Or have you changed the DAB antenna?
I personally will research and test some options, but I thought that there are C-HR owners who have already tried this.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wonder if the later roof antenna including DAB antenna would retrofit to the earlier C-HR?
Thanks for the idea. I did some research.
And it looks like all C-HRs between 2018-2022 have the same shark fin AM/FM antenna and have the same problems.
I will probably try an aftermarket FM/DAB/GPS one.

· Registered
492 Posts
My 22 C-HR doesn't have a DAB antenna in the windscreen & the DAB radio works perfectly.
Fairly sure nothing on my screen either but not really looked

No issues with DAB apart from on the M4 for a short stretch between Oxford & Swindon, but fairly sure that’s a blackspot as happens in various vehicles on same bit of road

· Registered
147 Posts
The earlier cars have screen DAB aerial that is very directional! If I drive in one direction reception can be ok, then on way back it may not be as the signal is blocked by the car body.

The screen aerial is easy to spot as it’s right in front of the driver in the glass at the top.

An option would be to replace the roof aerial with one like one shown above that also has DAB in and simply not use the screen one. This is something I could easily do, but I’ve got used to poor signal around my area and simply listen to Radio 2 now as that works well or Heart 80s as this also pretty good reception.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 22 C-HR doesn't have a DAB antenna in the windscreen & the DAB radio works perfectly.
I found the info about all C-HRs between 2018-2022 having the same shark fin AM/FM antenna at Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store

I found posts from 2021 about the same poor DAB reception.

Probably, in 2022, they upgraded the antenna. Or the new units with Android Auto and Apple Car Play have better reception.

· Registered
147 Posts
i used to work as an automobile electrician (18 years ago) and pretty much found all screen aerials to be pants!

I am certain that if the existing roof aerial was swapped for one with built in dab that reception would be improved.

Just need to find out where all the connections are located.

· Registered
147 Posts
I’m looking into fitting a front separate DAB aerial plugged directly into the back of headunit.

Can not see why this would not be ideal solution. Just need to find a suitable aerial & plug adapter.

Should easy enough to fit as panel bellow with lights should give access.

· Registered
147 Posts
I’ve been researching & have found the following…

Firstly, this is all for the earlier cars with windscreen mounted DAB aerial.

The GPS aerial appears to be in the dash so the sharks fin is only for analogue radio (am & fm).

So I currently can not see any reason why the sharks fin can’t be removed and replaced with an aerial that does both dab & fm/am.

I am thinking this is the one to go for…

AN3022DAB

Not sure if adapter plugs are available. If not I will cut the existing aerial leads and solder onto new aerial coax leads.

The dab lead will need to be run to front of car and plugged & I may run fm lead to & plug in direct.

Watch this space.…..

· Registered
147 Posts
Couldn't you just get a later C-HR shark fin & retro fit it?
You would still need to run a new dab lead.

Apparently the sharks fin aerials are not as good as whip type so as where I live dab reception is not great I will go for the whip option. As much as I like sharks fin aerial I would rather have an aerial that actually works!

I have just unplugged sharks fin aerial & been for test drive. DAB & GPS both still working, & FM not working, so I’m going to go for this solution as soon as I have the parts. Will take some pictures and post a basic how to guide on here when done.

· Registered
147 Posts
You would still need to run a new dab lead.

Apparently the sharks fin aerials are not as good as whip type so as where I live dab reception is not great I will go for the whip option. As much as I like sharks fin aerial I would rather have an aerial that actually works!

I have just unplugged sharks fin aerial & been for test drive. DAB & GPS both still working, & FM not working, so I’m going to go for this solution as soon as I have the parts. Will take some pictures and post a basic how to guide on here when done.
SCRUB ALL OF THIS!!!

On way to pickup aerial with the sharks fin unplugged all was going well with Nav working just fine then, then suddenly after around 10 miles it was around 1/4 mile out of position! Tried restarting sat nav but still wrong. Plugged in shark fin aerial and it starting working correctly. It would appear there are 2 gps aerials!

So, I’m back to looking at the separate roof mounted dab aerial options again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts