Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I am living in CANADA and I wanna go for CH-R, but I am not sure about CH-R handling in snowy weather. Is it better to go for AWD/4WD SUV with same price ?? :?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have found it handles quite well in snowy weather but I would expect a 4wd to cope with it better. It depends how important that aspect is to you. Where I live we only have the odd few days of snow per year (like last week) and I am not obliged to make long journeys in it, so it is not a major concern for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Given it's got quite a light weight engine (1.2) it doesn't give much downward pressure over the front drive wheels so tends to wheel spin and snake around.
My previous i40 diesel had a reasonable weight of engine pushing the front wheels down into the snow so it coped quite well for a fwd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jatski said:
Given it's got quite a light weight engine (1.2) it doesn't give much downward pressure over the front drive wheels so tends to wheel spin and snake around.
My previous i40 diesel had a reasonable weight of engine pushing the front wheels down into the snow so it coped quite well for a fwd.
Thanks, in CANADA it comes with 2L engine (Gasoline engine )

·
Registered
38 Posts
CJS1 said:
Mine stays on the drive when the white stuff comes down.
If you drive a lot in snowy weather, I'd go for a 4 wd.
Difficult one to call - as have the C-HR since Jan 2nd - last week was the first time I would have had the chance to try it out in the snow - but in Dublin - we got hit hard with Storm Emma - there was no movement from any cars on the block for the best part of the week - where I am there was snow around 50 to 60cm... with drifts of 1metre plus in parts. Hoping to never see snow like that again in Dublin - worst in around 40yrs. Looking forward to the big melt now and getting back to 'normal' driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If people in you area cope with non-awd cars, that you should be fine, it is no worse handling in the snow than other FWD cars around.
For sure a good AWD makes life easier. I have also a Subaru Forester, and drove both this winter in Austria, lots of snow. Though I didn't have big problems in the C-HR, the Forester certainly felt better and gave me a lot of confidence.
If you have good winter tires, it should be ok. .
In Europe they have an AWD C-HR, i heard it might be available this year too in North America, so if you wait a bit, you might have the option to buy an AWD C-HR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts