Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Parking Assist Failure

17K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  leeloo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

We picked up our new C-HR today from the showroom before we left we had a demo of the parking Assist from the guys in the showroom. The car parked itself perfectly on the driver side.

We drove it home and put it in parking Assist to park it, this time on the passenger side.

We followed the instructions exactly, put it into reverse and the car then proceeded to mount kerb and crash directly into the car behind - at pace.

My wife and I are still in shock.

Does anyone have advice on what we should do? The dealership is closed this evening.

#2 ·
I'm a new owner too, and have found the Parking Assist to be a bit hit-and-miss (pun entirely intended as my car reversed into the car behind (fortunately very slow so no damage done). I'm far more nervous about using it now. I've only used it in car parks. I've not tried roadside parking yet.

#3 ·
I've used it on a few occasions and it works well but it's not a fully automated system. Did the salesman explain exactly how it works? There is a good explanation in the manual if you are unsure.
The park assist only controls the steering, you still have to use the throttle to regulate the speed and change gear from reverse to forward. Hitting the parked car at speed was down to you controlling the throttle. The camera and all the sensors work when using the system so you should have plenty of warning before hitting anything. As for mounting the kerb maybe you were traveling too fast for the steering to react quickly enough. Maybe try again but at a reduced speed.
HTH

#4 ·
We were given a demo but no it wasn't explained that the parking Assist relied on the driver to control the speed - key information no?

I suspect my wife who was driving took her foot off the pedals hence the problem.

So now I have a banging headache, a big dent in the front of our neighbours car and a very upset wife who never wants to see our new car ever again.

Not an ideal start.

#5 ·
I didn't find the handover the best experience either. As soon as the paperwork was completed I was rushed to the car and waved away. I had to go through the manual when I got home to understand all the features. I did mention this on their customer feedback form. They should have at least suggested you read the manual before attempting the park assist as this is a safety critical feature.
Anyway I hope you and your wife are feeling better and hope the experience does no put you off the C-HR, it's a great car.
Welcome to the forum 😊

#6 ·
sorry to here you had an accident in your car, the park assist requires the drive to still do the braking and accelerating and should have been explained to you by the dealer,hopefully she will drive it again , i tend to not use it myself

#8 ·
I've used several times both parallel and right-angle parking with no issues. But I've read the manual several months before getting my car (also reading this forum gave a lot of knowledge) so I knew much much more than my dealer could tell me upon handing me the keys. He learned a lot from me that day.

It's a shame dealer didn't explain how to use parking assist. Better (s)he didn't demonstrate it at all :/

#9 ·
My handover was little more than "window switches, door locks, primary display with mileage etc - any questions?" But, the prior wait of six weeks I'd spent reading the downloadable manual end to end. However, I think Parking Assist is something that really could do with a demonstration. The only difficulty that I find is that its accuracy is a bit hit-and-miss. I have most difficulty with the car even identifying a space (I'd estimate it's about 60% accurate - the first time I used it, the car thought it had identified a space where there wasn't one which made me more wary from the beginning). A couple of times, the car has crunched on the brakes and cancelled the manoeuvre thinking that there was rear traffic when there was nothing. Mostly, it seems to pick the narrowest possible space! :D

I think it's a neat and clever toy, but actually not as good as the rear view camera.

#10 ·
The rear view in the C-HR is pretty awful when reversing because of the high boot and rear windows which is probably why it has the rear view camera. Probably worth perfecting the park assist system in a risk free environment eg a supermarket car park when its fairly empty before using it for real.
I don't use it at all, I stick my head out of the drivers side window and use the rear view mirrors and camera - not ideal.
I have an Smax which allegedly parks itself, I don't use that either - but then the rear visibility is a lot better.
I guess its a learning experience with new cars the technology moves on so quickly.
Anyway, all the best with the new car, you will get to love it.

#11 ·
The key word here is "assist" ... it doesn't autonomously park ...
Never used it on the C-HR but have on landrovers, it just aides by moving the steering wheel and you control the brake and accelerator, so by that you are still "in control" of the vehicle and liable for its actions, I know on the landrover system it comes up with a warning on the cluster display reminding you to control the gas/brake pedals during operation.

With regards to the hand-off's they have a limited window to explain the main features etc not walk you through the manual, they literally get about 10-15 mins to unveil it and explain and drive you out before putting another car into the showroom and under the red cover for the next customer.
Blaming a hand-off is like blaming the microwave sales rep for burning the house down when you put tinfoil in it... :lol:

I think you should of tested it in a secluded parking lot and/or with more caution, also as your car is an automatic and your wife tested the "assist" without prior knowlage - removing her foot from the brake caused it accelerated upto speed before making contact.

Thankfully nobody was hurt and it could of been worse if someone was walking on the sidewalk at the time! :shock:

#12 ·
I also think it's unreasonable to expect them to hold hands and explain how everything works. A demonstration is exactly that -a demonstration. Toyota don't expect a handover to be a tutorials or lesson session on advanced features, just pointers on the fundamentals of driving op's & the security features.

I tried the assisted parking thing once in quiet Tesco Carpark. I tested it between a mercedes sprinter & a transit two spaces down. The car chose the space next to the larger sprinter and we slowly reveresed at a snail's pace to the point where I was certain I going to hit the sprinter. I put it into park on the spot, checked the distance and I was an inch away with no chance of successfully clearing the gap, even if I was to manually dry start into full lock I'd be colliding with it. No alarms or collision warnings, nothing. Called it quits at that, the first and last time I've used it; %hink it's a complete gimmick tbh.

I do love my CHR though, a year in and I genuinely still have the 'new car excitement' about driving it. I'd only considering getting rid if a larger hybrid engine variant ever arrived.

#13 ·
Both me and my wife use it on a regular basis, am always very watchful but so far haven't had to abort any parking manoeuvres. Once you are used it, it is really easy to use and for sure makes parking easier. But I agree with james.actual the keyword is assist

#14 ·
All valid points of view, I won't tell anyone you're right or wrong.

The Toyota Customer Service Team gave me a call today which was good. They're looking into it. I'll keep everyone posted on what they do...

What I will be doing is ensuring I try the dynamic cruise control out at low speed before I rely on that at 70mph!

#15 ·
Sanfranwolf said:
What I will be doing is ensuring I try the dynamic cruise control out at low speed before I rely on that at 70mph!
Never rely on it.

From page 307 and further from the user manual

Before using dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range
Driving safely is the sole responsibility of the driver. Do not rely solely on the system, and drive safely by always paying careful attention to your surroundings.

Use the dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range on freeways
and highways.

#16 ·
I drove all the way home yesterday from Didcot in Oxfordshire to Portsmouth on the A34, M3 and M27 using the cruise control the whole way - bar the odd queue of heavy, slow-moving traffic which I turned it off for. It worked superbly. Having said that, I am always mindful to keep my wits and get ready to override it with some rapid human intervention... just in case!

#17 ·
At least your both OK, I think only the wife's pride hurt.

What on earth possessed her/you to try out the feature on your first drive, were you egging her on to try it from the passenger seat?

Apparently one gender is (statistically) much safer than the other per million miles driven, but I've only had 4 drivers run into the back of me when I was stationery. All were the safer gender and in all cases i was at lights for at least 10 seconds...last laugh on them though as all were in my Audi with towbar fitted, I had a scratch on my ball (ooeer) and they had a wrecked front bumper. 2 were moderately attractive and tried to flutter eyelashes, two weren't and thought it was better to act stupid...I felt sorry for the woman in a day old Kia Sportage who's husband had sent her out to 'get used to it' :(

Here's a story from 10yrs ago when I bought my (then) wife a new Citroen C3 with reverse parking sensors, she reversed into a wall, the wall then collapsed on the car causing circa £2k of damage...not surprisingly she tried to blame the wall for not being constructed properly! :lol: :x :eek: And yes I insisted that she paid for the repair and also fixing of the wall (which must have jumped out at her!)

I abide by the RTFM rule (Read The Manual) will let you decide what you insert as the explanation for the F :geek:

I'm not helping am I :?:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.