Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Paint Protection

14K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  MerlyWerly 
#1 ·
So I was thinking about going to a paint protection company and having something like DiamondBrite applied.
I just wondered if anyone had ever had this done and what their experience was like?

Having never owned a brand new car before I'm super paranoid about making sure it stays in awesome condition.

Appreciate any thoughts :)

#2 ·
i have just used jetseal on my chr and it last for upto a year , costs between £24-£30 applied after a wash and clay ,(can be done after a wash being a new car).as easy as waxing but doesnt stain the trim and can used on glass as well .2 coats 20 mins apart and your done , nothing better than doing a couple of hours work and seeing a fantastic finish,other people will give their advice but this is just my opinion , see my post 2 silver ladys for the finished shots i got today of the roof and car looks like mirror, what ever you do it will worth it

#3 ·
I had the dealer-supplied paint protection on my Prius. It was Ok but I did not notice much positive differnce (over4 yrs). One negative with it was that every little scratch shows and tcut does not work on it so I could not get rid of them. I have not got it on my C-HR - opting insted for some good qulity wax.
Alex

#4 ·
ans said:
i have just used jetseal on my chr and it last for upto a year , costs between £24-£30 applied after a wash and clay ,(can be done after a wash being a new car).as easy as waxing but doesnt stain the trim and can used on glass as well .2 coats 20 mins apart and your done , nothing better than doing a couple of hours work and seeing a fantastic finish,other people will give their advice but this is just my opinion , see my post 2 silver ladys for the finished shots i got today of the roof and car looks like mirror, what ever you do it will worth it
Certainly cheaper than what I was thinking! :)
Do you wax it afterwards also?

#6 ·
Prior to step one I'd use a 'ferrous remover' it's amazing how much there is on a new car.

Also if your after a longer lasting protection use a ceramic sealant, which should last 3yrs.

If you don't have the time/kit/inclination you can check with local mobile companies and they'll charge £150-£250 for the above, plus they should do it properly in masking off the plastics and use of an orbital polisher properly.

As the C-HR has quite a lot of plastic cladding on the outside I'm a bit miffed that I've still not found a sealant product to protect those bits from mud and UV discolouration :(

#7 ·
I too use two buckets and grit guards. Never heard of ferrous remover, or that it was necessary on a new car. How is it beneficial, presumably for other layers of protection going on top?

I wonder what the dealer does when preparing the car for the customer?

There is a lot of black trim on the C-HR and I have tried loads of different products, which each work well on different black materials. I wonder what will work well on our new baby... any experience so far?

#8 ·
SB, it's mainly the contaminants that get attracted to the body after it's rolled off the production line, so that's sitting waiting to be collected, shipment by road or rail (lots of metal flying about)

Appreciate that my car was probably manufactured over 4 months ago.

Am not surprised you've not heard of ferrous remover, but then most people hadn't heard of a clay bar in the UK when I started using them 20+yrs ago, the yanks may have many faults (not being able to aim being a crucial one!) but they do know how detail cars. When I started detailing in the 90's I had to get most of my stuff stateside when travelling over there on business.

About 2.20 into this on a white car and you'll see metal on a white car:

Dealers simply remove the plastic film, wash and dry a new car if you've not taken their protection package

#16 ·
ans said:
at the moment just warm soapy water, the jet seal doesnt mark the trim unlike a wax so find it really handy and the sonus makes the trim look clean and not patchy
I think you might mean 'sonax'?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONAX-XTREME-PLASTIC-TRIM-BUMPER-RESTORER-GEL-NANO-PRO-BACK-TO-BLACK-/181760758696?hash=item2a51c913a8:g:veYAAOSwBLlVaaEM

Is good stuff and have some, but am going to try some of this and see how I get on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Wow-Car-Trim-Restorer-Dressing-Rejuvinate-59ml-/112082469836?hash=item1a18a2c3cc:g:Iw8AAOSwnQhXo0b2

And yes I had some odd search results when I googled 'black wow' :(

Normally I don't go for a gloss finish, but think it will blend in better with my decuma grey than leaving it matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.