Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 C-HR 1.8 L Sol in Atomic Silver
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I just collected my new Sol last Friday. Overall I'm very pleased with the car and the spec - so far. That's the good news. However, there are a few annoying things. The 1.8 L Sol grade in Ireland is not like a limited or special edition which, as far as I can see, has almost all possible extras included. Still Sol is a very high spec here - it's the highest really in my view. However.... there are a few strange omissions at this level. Front seats are not electric. The rear compartment is let down badly. No air vents, no charging points, no dividing armrest, no optional sunroof/moonroof - its very dark back there. The only saving grace for rear passengers are electric power for the very small windows and the cup holder in the door armrest. What I just noticed today really irritated me - no grab handles in the roof at the rear. So, even when you don't have any rear passengers, when you open the back doors, there is nothing there for you to hang a suit jacket - or any clothes on, when you're going on a trip. Not even a coat hook.!!! Really disappointed with Toyota here! And strange in a car where heated front seats are standard. Such a basic thing like that missing in a car of this class at this price point - with some extras added my car came to €39,200. I didn't even check for something like that - because you assume that it would be there at this almost €40k level. Even much smaller cheaper cars than the C-HR have rear handles you can hang clothes on. E.g. my wife's small Kia Venga has those handles - and its missing much bigger items like air con and Bluetooth. Really poor corner cutting by Toyota here I feel - for the sake of 2 plastic handles. A pity, as the car has lots of other nice features, handles well and looks really cool. That said, I had to give the dealer a call in relation to the constant woooo sound which is really audible when the car is driven slowly. I was convinced it was a sticking electronic brake or noisy brake disc. No, I was told its an in-built acoustic alert for pedestrians to get out of the way. I suppose my last hybrid WAS very quiet - too quiet - & people stepped out in front of it. Anyway, nice to know that it wasn't a fault!
Anyone else got any thoughts on these points?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You don’t buy a C-HR for rear passengers! Very much lives up to its name Coupe High Rider as in rear very coupe like.

I made the choice to buy a smaller car that works for my wife & I. Been driving dads taxi cars for 22+ years so don’t feel guilty that my kids have less room as they are 22 & 18 so hardly come in car on long trips any more.

As it happens, they don’t mind as they like it that dad has a funky car and not a diesel Honda CRV any more 😜.

The front is comfortable & well equipped and that’s all that matters 😂😂😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you missed the fact that it's not a 2 door Coupe or a 2- seater sports car - it's actually a 4 door car which is meant to accommodate rear passengers too. If you didn't buy it for rear passengers, that was your personal choice. I see lots of families going round in them. Just saying that Toyota missed the mark a bit by cost cutting in the rear. My observation on lack of a handle for clothes though is just something I haven't come across for years and is pretty disappointing, even when just 2 people are travelling. You don't agree? And a car should be as versatile as possible. Not saying that the car doesn't look cool. Overall, there are lots of nice things about this car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All of what you say is plain to see when you view & test drive the car, plus all the reviews say the same thing as in its a bit gloomy in the back. This is all because of the design of car means it has small & high up rear windows and a lower roofline. I have had 22 years of boring family cars so when I found a car that looks funky, is economical, has a reasonable boot & 4 doors that can carry rear passengers when required I bought one.

If I still had younger kids or ageing relatives I would have bought a different car, maybe a RAV4.

In fact, when I bought mine I checked out both the Rav & the C-HR.

I actually wanted a GT86, went to look at one, now that is pretty useless as a daily car, rear seats that have zero leg room & not a hatchback either. I had to discount this as I couldn’t transport my bike, kids or dog.

The C-HR is a compromise, it’s stylish but because of this it loses some practically. I think it’s brilliant & love mine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe you missed the fact that it's not a 2 door Coupe or a 2- seater sports car - it's actually a 4 door car which is meant to accommodate rear passengers too.
It not a Coupe, but it’s supposed to look a bit like one. On many occasions I have had people waiting for me to open front door & flip the front seat so they can get in like a 3 door 🤣. Or say ‘how do you manage with a 3 door car?’ Why do you think they hid the rear door handle? It is to help with the illusion that it is a 3 door coupe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I share some of your complaints. I had a 2018 C-HR Sol and now I have the Orange Edition from 2020.
Lack of vents for rear seats is indeed a big miss! I used to hear lots of complaints from my kids during the summer. When weather is cold heating does the job well even without rear vents. Orange one has rear vents and it's a significant difference. For some reasons they decided to install it on that particular one. Small, so it takes a bit of time, but definitely better than without.
No USB charging points in the back - another huge miss! It would be so simple as armrest has power for the console box. Beats me!
Dark on the rear sits. Actually that's a blessing for kids! Sun, when it shines on this side of the world, is blinding. My 2 passengers loves it's dark.

Hanging clothes - can't comment. I never had such need in any car I even drove.
The woooo sound was introduced by Toyota in Ireland a year or so ago on all hybrid cars. I would expect this would be a feature on BZ4X. I personally hate that sound when I hear it. Sounds to me like a defect (like rusty disk breaks) but it's intended to draw attention to people walking around the car. Mine doesn't make any such noise and I'm grateful. But I'm aware of that and I'm paying extra attention all times when in a parking lot. I'm aware most people won't hear me coming. They may be able to change that sound, but I don't think they will agree to turn it off. It's a feature, not a bug in their view (and a good protection against people walking without paying any attention).

You'll notice some other sub-optimal aspects - good luck in hanging your shopping bags on those 2 hooks in the "luggage compartment"!
Or setting auto high beam - that requires to push away indicator level and let it like that.
And the bad 12V battery. It may be different for 2022 models, but 2l cars from 2019 to 2021...full of us here complaining about running out of juice after just few days of not driving.

But, overall, it's a super cool car! Easy to drive, good fuel consumption, and with a great look! Congratulation for your choose!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of what you say is plain to see when you view & test drive the car, plus all the reviews say the same thing as in its a bit gloomy in the back. This is all because of the design of car means it has small & high up rear windows and a lower roofline. I have had 22 years of boring family cars so when I found a car that looks funky, is economical, has a reasonable boot & 4 doors that can carry rear passengers when required I bought one.

If I still had younger kids or ageing relatives I would have bought a different car, maybe a RAV4.

I actually wanted a GT86, went to look at one, now that is pretty useless as a daily car, rear seats that have zero leg room & not a hatchback either. I had to discount this as I couldn’t transport my bike, kids or dog.

The C-HR is a compromise, it’s stylish but because of this it loses some practically. I think it’s brilliant & love mine.

I take all your points. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I share some of your complaints. I had a 2018 C-HR Sol and now I have the Orange Edition from 2020.
Lack of vents for rear seats is indeed a big miss! I used to hear lots of complaints from my kids during the summer. When weather is cold heating does the job well even without rear vents. Orange one has rear vents and it's a significant difference. For some reasons they decided to install it on that particular one. Small, so it takes a bit of time, but definitely better than without.
No USB charging points in the back - another huge miss! It would be so simple as armrest has power for the console box. Beats me!
Dark on the rear sits. Actually that's a blessing for kids! Sun, when it shines on this side of the world, is blinding. My 2 passengers loves it's dark.

Hanging clothes - can't comment. I never had such need in any car I even drove.
The woooo sound was introduced by Toyota in Ireland a year or so ago on all hybrid cars. I would expect this would be a feature on BZ4X. I personally hate that sound when I hear it. Sounds to me like a defect (like rusty disk breaks) but it's intended to draw attention to people walking around the car. Mine doesn't make any such noise and I'm grateful. But I'm aware of that and I'm paying extra attention all times when in a parking lot. I'm aware most people won't hear me coming. They may be able to change that sound, but I don't think they will agree to turn it off. It's a feature, not a bug in their view (and a good protection against people walking without paying any attention).

You'll notice some other sub-optimal aspects - good luck in hanging your shopping bags on those 2 hooks in the "luggage compartment"!
Or setting auto high beam - that requires to push away indicator level and let it like that.
And the bad 12V battery. It may be different for 2022 models, but 2l cars from 2019 to 2021...full of us here complaining about running out of juice after just few days of not driving.

But, overall, it's a super cool car! Easy to drive, good fuel consumption, and with a great look! Congratulation for your choose!
Well said, and by the looks of your posts you've had 2chrs. Every car I've ever owned have had things I felt were important but after 3-4weeks didn't bother me. Grandkids are traveling regular in the back don't mind it one bit.
Usb I agree Toyota went penny pinching. The woo noise is a mystery to me,?
This car rides 4times more comfortable than our last new car it had a lumber support like someone had found a suitable lump of wood and wedged in it inside the seat.
Love mpg, seats are bliss, Aircon is also very user friendly (if you don't close the vents🙈) Adaptive Cruise had early gremlins but now faultless. I'm retired so don't need to turn my baseball call back to front when I go out driving anymore has enough under the bonnet for me. Just my thoughts tho

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a read about that sound. It's mandatory in US since with Sept 2020 and in EU from July 2021. It's called AVAS and Japan made it mandatory several years back.
EU regulation is here: Electric and hybrid cars: new rules on noise emitting to protect vulnerable road users

Ah, something I forgot on my post - electric seats adjustment - that's actually a half baked feature. Without memory for driver, I found manual or electric adjustment equally annoying.
If you need to adjust the settings after another driver, both are crap! At least I'll never remember what level or button does what. And both are equally unsafe while driving.
I have electric adjustment for driver seat only - big question how much they saved not using the same type of seats for cars for both left-right markets. I would guess a single type of seat for both markets would be a less of a logistics issue.
But I had a car with memory and that's actually useful! You find the sweet spot once, store it and job done. Otherwise it's just another annoying exercise to put the seat the way you need it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Drabisan,
Thanks for all that info. And it's good to discuss all aspects of the car, both + and - . I do find the seats much more comfortable in the c-hr. We testdrove a new corolla saloon with leather seats & my wife found hers very uncomfortable. She was much happier with the chr seat.That EU report on AVAS is interesting. As you say, I found the sound very disconcerting at first. While it's annoying, it was a relief to know that it was supposed to be there. Wish it could be switched off, but I guess rules is rules....

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a read about that sound. It's mandatory in US since with Sept 2020 and in EU from July 2021. It's called AVAS and Japan made it mandatory several years back.
EU regulation is here: Electric and hybrid cars: new rules on noise emitting to protect vulnerable road users

Ah, something I forgot on my post - electric seats adjustment - that's actually a half baked feature. Without memory for driver, I found manual or electric adjustment equally annoying.
If you need to adjust the settings after another driver, both are crap! At least I'll never remember what level or button does what. And both are equally unsafe while driving.
I have electric adjustment for driver seat only - big question how much they saved not using the same type of seats for cars for both left-right markets. I would guess a single type of seat for both markets would be a less of a logistics issue.
But I had a car with memory and that's actually useful! You find the sweet spot once, store it and job done. Otherwise it's just another annoying exercise to put the seat the way you need it.
Drabisan you omitted ejecter seats warning for when kids start to squabble or even hidden water pistol in the driver and passenger headrests for calming effects.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts