Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after about 10 days of ownership and use, here are my main comments on C-HR 1.8 hybrid. Would love to hear yours too.

Pros

1. super high tech (main reason i wanted a hybrid and a car with the Toyota safety sense)
  2. very good quality throughout
  3. very nice looks
  4. very smooth ride

Cons

1. adaptive cruise control is great on its own but it doesn't seem to optimize consumption. for instance i discovered that when i am on a slight downhill on the motorway i can keep it in EV mode for a long distance manually, if I am willing to let speed drift from say 100Kmph down to 90Kmph in the process. for the same stretch, the adaptive cruise control would keep the motor running for most of -possibly all- the distance. if there was somehow an option to 'tell' it that I am willing to operate in a range of up to 10Kmph less than the target speed so I can save fuel, that would be super smart.
  2. when i am trying to maximize the use of the EV mode (say for a short 2Km trip) it's very hard to stay on EV mode even when the battery is fully charged - if you depress too hard or the speed exceeds 40 or so Kmph it turns the engine on - what's the point of EV mode then? I mean it more or less has the same behavior anyway when then EV mode is not selected.
  3. somehow the electric motor feels a little weak. which perhaps contributes to my observations 1 and 2 above. in reality, when the motor is running though it can accelerate quite fast, despite (or because of) the CVT gearbox.
  4. it is a bit wider and longer than i am used to, while the interior does not really feel (and probably isn't) any bigger tan my previous car (Corolla). i understand this is probably due to design choices and it's a matetr of taste to some extent.

And last, some 'observations':

• the engine can be a bit loud (but not sportsy loud-rather big engine loud) when accelarating very fast
  • not sure about this yet, i will need to observe it more but here is some early insight on the parking sensors: as i park in a basement, i need to drive through a rather narrow way. it seems to me that when multiple sensors are activated almost at the same time, they kind of 'overload' the computer and they sometimes give the audible warning when I am already past the detected object (i am going quite slowly at that time).

·
Registered
279 Posts
1. You will always so better than cruise control. I hate it. Putting on brakes for a lorry 300m away. Efficient lol.

2.ev mode is for things like creeping out the drive and not disturb people when you go to see your mistress . Sitting in traffic too maybe.

3. I was hoping to get 50kw of motor power in ev mode. This is not the case. Id bet you only get 20kw max until the engine cuts in to boost electrical amps making it feel weaker than it is.

4. Im pretty sure its narrower than my last 3 cars and personally found it the easiest to judge all round. It might feel odd as you are higher up now. When i first got a rav4 it felt huge even though it wasnt.

My female passangers go wow its so smooth. Then ooh its revving allot ha ha. Try eco mode maybe.

·
Registered
681 Posts
About cons point 1,2 and 3

EV Mode
Page 228
The main purpose of the EV mode seems to me
http://www.chrforums.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=285

Page 229
Possible driving distance when driving in EV drive mode
EV drive mode's possible driving distance ranges from a few hundred meters
to approximately 1 km (0.6 mile). However, depending on vehicle conditions

Indeed the engine can be a bit loud (but not sporty loud-rather big engine loud)
when accelerating very fast. That is the way a CVT system works. To overcome this
an other automatic gearbox is needed (i.e. Kia Niro)

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Stick it in sports mode and the noise when accelerating lessons, as it seems to tighten the belt for loss of a better description and I don't think the fuel economy suffers to much because the engine isn't revving so hard

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks for the review - interesting.
Agree re adaptive cc. Could be more efficient.
Re EV mode - I am assuming you mean use of the EV button? If so, I think it is very seldom of any use as the car can usually manage itself so well (puutting itself into EV as often as poss). I would advise not trying to drive on the EV button except for very special cases. (eg sitting at lights to stop revving, in traffic jams)
Why accelerate hard? I find low rev acceleration is quite enough in most cases Then its much quieter. Also have you tried 97 octane fuel? That quietens it too.
Re sensor. If you can repeat it, check the display when the sensor sounds as it shows you which area of the car is getting too close to obstructions. It could just be that it is the rear sensor firing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very detailed review, many thanks!

I've found the EV mode only lasts for a few minutes, I'm assuming the battery discharges quickly and the petrol engine takes over. I find Sport mode great for short distances but the heavy stearing is a bit odd so usually leave it in normal mode.

The parking sensors I find a bit odd sometimes, they go mad if I'm parking in a space with cars either side but it's not easy to tell which sensor has priority as the whole display lights up :)

Even so I'm still very impressed with the car.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Pelforth said:
Very detailed review, many thanks!

I've found the EV mode only lasts for a few minutes, I'm assuming the battery discharges quickly and the petrol engine takes over. I find Sport mode great for short distances but the heavy stearing is a bit odd so usually leave it in normal mode.

The parking sensors I find a bit odd sometimes, they go mad if I'm parking in a space with cars either side but it's not easy to tell which sensor has priority as the whole display lights up :)

Even so I'm still very impressed with the car.
So as the others have stated.. pure EV mode is only intended for short uses in specific circumstances.
After all it is a Hybrid not a full electric car. I use it when entering any housing estate where my speed is going to be below 20mph and I want to be quiet. Also use it when in car parks.

Sensors wise I have never had an issue. Having the centre display showing you the sensors visually and giving you lines per sensor I think is awesome. When it goes red... stop ;) lol. I just realised I pretty much repeated what Alexr already posted sorry!

As for normal driving, my trip TO work is done almost entirely on EV. Using engine braking and deceleration recharging I manage the 20 minute trip almost entirely in electric mode. Two big hills either end being the only real interruption to this. If I am super careful I can get 97MPG going to work.

My trip FROM work however is almost all uphill and becomes hard to stay in EV AND keep up to 30MPH.
Even with this however I still get around 55MPG on the way back.

Having never had a hybrid before it seems a very efficient system to me and I love trying to get the most out of it.
I guess most peoples expectations will come from what they have driven before perhaps.

I only have one Con with this car. Electric mode is so quiet people keep throwing themselves in front of me without realising I'm there. :lol:

Thanks for the review :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have an 11 mile trip into work, which normally takes me 20 mins and achieves 67mpg in and as high as 99 back.

Recently (due to roadworks) the journey in now takes 40 mins but as it's a hybrid the car's still delivering 67mpg in and 80+ back...so like Merly you probably guessed that going in it's more uphill, back more downhill, on one long 3/4 mile hill I can raise the battery charge by two bars! )

I rarely use the EV button (I think once in over 2500 miles) and just rely on the natural electrical assistance rather than full EV.

Good write-up Pelforth!

Oh, has anyone else noticed that dogs bark at the C-HR when it's in EV? Wonder if the electric motor emits a pitch that annoys them :idea:

·
Registered
641 Posts
MarkyMUK said:
Oh, has anyone else noticed that dogs bark at the C-HR when it's in EV? Wonder if the electric motor emits a pitch that annoys them :idea:
That would explain why the dogs in the house opposite go nuts every time I pull into the drive :lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Leggera said:
1. You will always so better than cruise control. I hate it. Putting on brakes for a lorry 300m away. Efficient lol.

2.ev mode is for things like creeping out the drive and not disturb people when you go to see your mistress . Sitting in traffic too maybe.

3. I was hoping to get 50kw of motor power in ev mode. This is not the case. Id bet you only get 20kw max until the engine cuts in to boost electrical amps making it feel weaker than it is.

4. Im pretty sure its narrower than my last 3 cars and personally found it the easiest to judge all round. It might feel odd as you are higher up now. When i first got a rav4 it felt huge even though it wasnt.

My female passangers go wow its so smooth. Then ooh its revving allot ha ha. Try eco mode maybe.
Leggera
just re read this post have you tried adjusting the radar to one bar when using the adaptive cc found it keeps up with almost all traffic
Mark

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mark said:
Leggera said:

Leggera
just re read this post have you tried adjusting the radar to one bar when using the adaptive cc found it keeps up with almost all traffic
Mark
I totally agree. Leaving it set as standard leaves far too bigger gap and takes a lot longer for the car to match speeds I found.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm only on day three of ownership. We bought a Silver/black Dynamic Special Edition Hybrid the highest spec model I've ever had. My previous Toyota cars have been two Avensis Tourers and lastly an Auris Excel Hybrid Tourer.

I love the look of the car and got tempted from the early show pictures.

I love the end result but feel there is cost cutting here for what I thinks is a relatively expensive model. The passenger seat has not got a height adjustment so once we've got my 88yr old Mum in place we cannot lift her up to see past the lower end of the screen. In the auris we still had to extend the sun visor even after raising the seat. There is only one power socket buried in the centre storage box, I think it should be one in the front, middle and boot. We regularly carry a cool box and chargers for other kit. There is no engine cover which I think keeps the dirt and damp out of everything for longer and looks neater.
If there is one item I'd like to change it is the black roof lining, I'd like it to graduate from black at the windscreen through to light grey by the time it hits the back door. It's awfully dark in the back but we will be mainly two up. I wonder if it is possible to use the blind spot sensors so that when opening a back donor onto the roadside a green light shows when there is nobody going past. We noticed on the test drive when switching drivers we couldn't see enough of the road through the window to be sure.

I love the car and sad as it sounds, I'm getting a kick out of seeing the reflection in the shop windows. I'm looking forward to trip to Wales and a holiday in Scotland.

·
Registered
554 Posts
seat boosters = ebay £10-£20
sun visor extenders = ebay £5-£10
added electrical outlets = auto electrician

Admittedly both my Jag and Audi have rear power, like you I carry a cool box for long journeys/weekends away, so in both I've had extra power sockets fitted in the boot, I think both installs were less than £50.

Also like you my mum can't see the road due to her being 5ft nothing, but since she's not driving she doesn't much care. My kids love the darkness of the back as they can use their phones and tablets and actually see the screen....so prefer it that way :)

As to blind spot indicators the only place they could logically be would be on your wing mirrors, so surely just use those instead?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My previous auris had three power outlets as standard.
In my experience dark spaces and limited visibility were a recipe for travel sickness when I had kids, may be the tablet and phone age has changed the way they react to surroundings.
My Mum is an artist and loves to see everything.
My 22yr old has just seen it this morning, I swear he was dribbling!
Me, I'm enjoying it. 😀

1 - 16 of 16 Posts