Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have modified my mirror turn signals to match the front turn signals.
The mirror turn signals now make the same "sweeping" motion as the ones in the headlight units.

It's much better then the original single bulb.

Link: YouTube video

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not an out of the box solution.

I've used a black RGB pixel strip (WS2811) with 144 leds per meter with integrated circuit. I cut it to 16 pixels per turn signal.
Then I wrote an Arduino program and flashed that into an Arduino Pro Mini. Used an ISP programmer to remove the default Arduino bootloader, because it takes too long to boot. And since the power comes on and of with each original "flash" it must be quick.
I also used a 3 ampere micro ubec to create 5 volts the strip needs.
I removed the original "lens" and plugged the hole where the normal bulb sits. Then heated up the back of the lens with a heat gun (290 degrees celcius). Then blew into the other hole to bulge out the plastic so the LED strip will fit. The orginal space is just a fraction too low. I did this at both ends.
Then I made a slit at the back of the straight end of about 5mm wide and as long as the LED strips width. At the angled end I drilled 2 holes for all the wiring. 3 wires to the strip and 2 wires to the ubec. Then I took a bulb adapter which came with some interior lights and soldered that to 2 ubec wires. The wires go trough the original bulb hole, and the adpater will sit in the original socket which will be placed back in the end.
I soldered the wires to the LED strip. Then pulled the strip into place. Reheated the plasic and pressed it back in the original shape.
The wires go to the ubec which I soldered to the Arduino. Then I placed the circuitboards into a shrinking tube. This is mounted with a tie-wrap to the existing wireing in the mirror (above the pivot point of the mirror. The holes and slit I drilled have been "plugged" with Silicone Kit to make it watertight again.

It took me a about 4 hours to do the mechanical part (per side). The software part was quite easy. The timing and determing the colour was the hardest part. Since I had to mix the red and green of the strip to a maching orange. Since I'm a programmer the code wasn't that hard ;)

I'm really pleased with the results.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
very cool in deed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
mjvdzwet said:
It's not an out of the box solution.

I've used a black RGB pixel strip (WS2811) with 144 leds per meter with integrated circuit. I cut it to 16 pixels per turn signal.
Then I wrote an Arduino program and flashed that into an Arduino Pro Mini. Used an ISP programmer to remove the default Arduino bootloader, because it takes too long to boot. And since the power comes on and of with each original "flash" it must be quick.
I also used a 3 ampere micro ubec to create 5 volts the strip needs.
I removed the original "lens" and plugged the hole where the normal bulb sits. Then heated up the back of the lens with a heat gun (290 degrees celcius). Then blew into the other hole to bulge out the plastic so the LED strip will fit. The orginal space is just a fraction too low. I did this at both ends.
Then I made a slit at the back of the straight end of about 5mm wide and as long as the LED strips width. At the angled end I drilled 2 holes for all the wiring. 3 wires to the strip and 2 wires to the ubec. Then I took a bulb adapter which came with some interior lights and soldered that to 2 ubec wires. The wires go trough the original bulb hole, and the adpater will sit in the original socket which will be placed back in the end.
I soldered the wires to the LED strip. Then pulled the strip into place. Reheated the plasic and pressed it back in the original shape.
The wires go to the ubec which I soldered to the Arduino. Then I placed the circuitboards into a shrinking tube. This is mounted with a tie-wrap to the existing wireing in the mirror (above the pivot point of the mirror. The holes and slit I drilled have been "plugged" with Silicone Kit to make it watertight again.

It took me a about 4 hours to do the mechanical part (per side). The software part was quite easy. The timing and determing the colour was the hardest part. Since I had to mix the red and green of the strip to a maching orange. Since I'm a programmer the code wasn't that hard ;)

I'm really pleased with the results.
Oh simple then :cool:

Lol

Great job, looks really good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is not my intention to make them available.
There is to much labour involved, about 4.5 hours. Per side.
Also I would need the original turn signal lenses which cost €30 a piece.
The electronics will cost about €15-€20.

It's really the time which is not on my side.
I don't have any construction pictures. When I'm busy I tend to forget taking pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Truly amazing and awesome work. To be able to do both the electronics and the physical engineering is impressive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Garry said:
To be able to do both the electronics and the physical engineering is impressive
Thanks for the compliments.
I always like to try stuff. Not saying "I can't do that". You have to try before you can say you can't do it. And yes... Many things go south ;)
But trough time you learn and get better at things.
That's the fun in it and compliments like this make it even more enjoyable.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top