Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought i would let you know that i have got in car WiFi up and running for the price of £68 including 12gb of 4g data for a year by using an Huawei carfi from o2 on pay as you go as it is heavily discounted at the moment the data itself should have been £60, very simple to use ,put in sim plug into accessory plug in arm rest ,start car push button on top wait for light to go green then go to car connectivity scan for wifi enter wifi key and your online, only downside is you have to turn it on every time you turn the engine on as it doesn't auto start, but a bit cheaper than Toyotas £300 . it also supports up to 10 devices at anyone time, so for anyone looking for WiFi this is a simple option that so far seems to work well and very quickly.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/huawei/4g-in-car-wifi/?productId=f6be1cc8-a0a7-4b18-8106-fd808b11a396&planId=&contractType=paymonthly

click the pay as you go tab ;)
so my car is always online

·
Registered
23 Posts
So does it work better than connecting to the internet via your mobile phone?. I also thought of this but decided that I need to connect to phone to make calls and play my music there was little point.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is not just for my own use as the kids with phones and wife with her kindle will be able to use the internet in the car ,and all i have to do is push a button to turn it on ,as for being any better only time will tell as i only put it in today . i can still get messages and emails through Bluetooth i believe

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
279 Posts
Making a door with a lock is still a door. Im going for none. Ive used my nine lives already and yes Im a bit paranoid after trying death once before.

Plus some high up powerful guy mysteriously crashed a tesla (cant remeber who he was but was something like medical research or energy). The black box said it looked like he did it on purpose but had no reason to be suicidal. Tin foil hat please

·
Registered
554 Posts
Weird you should say that Leggera as my local car breaker/garage has 3 Tesla's that were right-offs, you'd have thought that the rarity of them plus all of the safety features would make that number highly unlikely.

My kids tether their phones/tablets to mine (and have done for a couple of years) and I've never come near using half of my 7Gb data allowance, so don't see the need to buy a separate piece of equipment.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow that subject got serious
I might think twice now about downloading on the move

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have it for the car to do its stuff like traffic routeing , google poi ,google street view, its just easier to push a button but hay ho its not for everyone,

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mobile WiFi and electronic key codes are are a different thing surely?

The code for the key is only readable for the few seconds the key fob is pressed, mobile WiFi is used by millions whilst tethering their phones, would a car be any different?

·
Registered
641 Posts
ans said:
just thought i would let you know that i have got in car WiFi up and running for the price of £68 including 12gb of 4g data for a year by using an Huawei carfi from o2 on pay as you go as it is heavily discounted at the moment the data itself should have been £60, very simple to use ,put in sim plug into accessory plug in arm rest ,start car push button on top wait for light to go green then go to car connectivity scan for wifi enter wifi key and your online, only downside is you have to turn it on every time you turn the engine on as it doesn't auto start, but a bit cheaper than Toyotas £300 . it also supports up to 10 devices at anyone time, so for anyone looking for WiFi this is a simple option that so far seems to work well and very quickly.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/huawei/4g-in-car-wifi/?productId=f6be1cc8-a0a7-4b18-8106-fd808b11a396&planId=&contractType=paymonthly

I must be losing the plot here. I have no wifi option on my cars system. Is this a Dynamic only option?
It literally only gives me an option for Bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ah may be so, mine has the Touch To go 2 system, I get an option to link to wifi in the menu. I've linked mine to my home wifi which is pretty pointless really, as I have to sit in the driveway to access the internet :)

It does tell me when I leave the wifi area that using the internet connection on my phone will cost, so i quickly turn it off!

·
Registered
641 Posts
So......you know I was 40 yeagh? Well I think I might have had a senior moment. How on earth I have missed the WIFI option in my car I have NO IDEA. I feel like a right idiot lol. Connected perm to my phones wifi (I get 25gig of data a month for £7 with Vodafone.) Instant street view sat nav and all the other sexy stuff. Feel like I've been missing out! Just glad no one called me any names yet :p

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shouldn't have said anything. No one would have known. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
ans said:

Thanks for this Ans, I'm an O2 monthly customer and think this is a great option

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its brilliant and works really well ,i get in the car push the button on the end and within a minute im online

·
Registered
177 Posts
I always understood that tethering is very expensive. Has anyone had a bill yet after tethering and can give me any idea of much data you've used?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts