Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi alll I have been offered a 2018 hybrid with 26000 miles for £7000 which seems quite low or even suspiciously low for the model . I know if you look up the 1.8 hybrid it gets a right slating for safety and transmission issues but is it really that bad? I need to know from the actual people who use these vehicles. It talks about all sorts of electrical nightmares including power suddenly cutting out handbrake failure and grinding failing mid range cvt transmission. Is this all common knowledge please as I really don't wish to waste even £7000, though I love the look of the car. Needs to drive main road highway about 160 miles a week on the A12 as I help coaching kids in school some distance from me.
Thanks a lot in anticipation.

· Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
534 Posts
That seems a suspiciously low price for a C-HR hybrid - you sure it's not a con?

The hybrids use an E-CVT transmission & it's ultra reliable - but any CVT takes some getting used to as they drive differently from most over vehicles.

The 12 volt battery can be a weak point as if that fails it cant power the electrical systems up to start the hybrid system / run the vehicles other electrical systems.

Safety is decent

· Registered
41 Posts
Hi alll I have been offered a 2018 hybrid with 26000 miles for £7000 which seems quite low or even suspiciously low for the model . I know if you look up the 1.8 hybrid it gets a right slating for safety and transmission issues but is it really that bad? I need to know from the actual people who use these vehicles. It talks about all sorts of electrical nightmares including power suddenly cutting out handbrake failure and grinding failing mid range cvt transmission. Is this all common knowledge please as I really don't wish to waste even £7000, though I love the look of the car. Needs to drive main road highway about 160 miles a week on the A12 as I help coaching kids in school some distance from me.
The weak point on the CHR is the 12v battery when the car has not been used for a while.If I was buying a 2018 CHR I would get them to fit a new one.£7000 is way under priced so due your due diligence.

· Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Had my car 6 years never had any gearbox troubles and not seen any apart from the 1.2 manual, also replaced main battery and windscreen under warranty but that's about it, but it does sound to good to be true

· Registered
333 Posts
I smell a rat,is it reputable dealer or someone selling from the door. Yep few issues mentioned but the price scares me.Hand on heart I wouldn't go for it mate to many folks with a black heart and no moral scruples whatsoever.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi yes the car seems very cheap I would get the HPI checked and get the car inspected professionally before buying.
Regards to the reliability most of the running gear is the same as the Toyota Prius which is mainly used by taxi drivers so the engine and gearbox is tried tested.

· Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
could run hpi check and see what comes back

Reactions: Huey

· Registered
492 Posts
Give these a try would be interested in seeing results
I watch loads of videos on You Tube from a car dealer - High Peak Autos. He buys and sells a lot of cheap cars and for some reason his videos are really watchable

He uses this (Sponsors) and looks a very good hpi report.

Still looks way too cheap, so interested to see what a check report throws up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts