Toyota C-HR Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back again. Very long story but sales dealership said it didnt matter that the service was overdue on time and mileage as it has a 5 year warranty on it!! (What??) Also the issue on the recall was not serious so not a safety issue per se. Totally blanked the fact that I said it was illegal. When I told him my local dealership did a full health check at the recall and said the tyres were at 3.3mm at 15,500 miles (an amber warning) his retort was "well you cant account for how some people drive - and we only replace at 3mm". My car was an employee's car and owned by the dealership - sold on the back of "you know it will have been well cared for because it is one of our cars!"

He asked me what I wanted for all the issues I had encountered (there were several including the car interior being filthy when it was delivered to me) so I said what are you offering. He suggested he might replace the front tyres - or give me the money to do so - but only the cost price to them of two Nexen 225 50R18 - the ones on it are Michelin. I said absolutely not and then he upped it to possibly Michelin. Do you think that is reasonable - or should I go to Toyota head office with a complaint? I like the car but feel I have been taken for a ride at £27000 - and it has spoiled the enjoyment of it a bit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Back again. Very long story but sales dealership said it didnt matter that the service was overdue on time and mileage as it has a 5 year warranty on it!! (What??) Also the issue on the recall was not serious so not a safety issue per se. Totally blanked the fact that I said it was illegal. When I told him my local dealership did a full health check at the recall and said the tyres were at 3.3mm at 15,500 miles (an amber warning) his retort was "well you cant account for how some people drive - and we only replace at 3mm". My car was an employee's car and owned by the dealership - sold on the back of "you know it will have been well cared for because it is one of our cars!"

He asked me what I wanted for all the issues I had encountered (there were several including the car interior being filthy when it was delivered to me) so I said what are you offering. He suggested he might replace the front tyres - or give me the money to do so - but only the cost price to them of two Nexen 225 50R18 - the ones on it are Michelin. I said absolutely not and then he upped it to possibly Michelin. Do you think that is reasonable - or should I go to Toyota head office with a complaint? I like the car but feel I have been taken for a ride at £27000 - and it has spoiled the enjoyment of it a bit.
If you bought the car with that tread level, that’s life I’m afraid, should have got new tyres in as part of the deal if you were worried. Fairly sure 1.6mm is legal minimum and 3-4 is fairly normal replacement point for most drivers.

If only replacing two tyres maybe better they are on rear not front. Lots of debate on this but see,s easier to control understeer (by backing off) if front loses grip than oversteer as back then overtakes the front...

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you bought the car with that tread level, that’s life I’m afraid, should have got new tyres in as part of the deal if you were worried. Fairly sure 1.6mm is legal minimum and 3-4 is fairly normal replacement point for most drivers.

If only replacing two tyres maybe better they are on rear not front. Lots of debate on this but see,s easier to control understeer (by backing off) if front loses grip than oversteer as back then overtakes the front...
I wasnt just asking for compensation for the tyres - although as an online purchase difficult to view! That was what he was offering as a recompense. I was suggesting a reasonable amount for having to spend 2 hrs at the local dealership on the recall and the issues with the servicing update - together with the state of the car on delivery. As the car was only 15 months old you would not expect the tyres to be an issue, really.

On your point of putting the new tyres on the rear - they are ok 6mm - I thought it was better for the front to have new tyres? Confused??

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wasnt just asking for compensation for the tyres - although as an online purchase difficult to view! That was what he was offering as a recompense. I was suggesting a reasonable amount for having to spend 2 hrs at the local dealership on the recall and the issues with the servicing update - together with the state of the car on delivery. As the car was only 15 months old you would not expect the tyres to be an issue, really.

On your point of putting the new tyres on the rear - they are ok 6mm - I thought it was better for the front to have new tyres? Confused??
Read my comments about better tyres on front (on front wheel drive cars anyway).
Have a look on line.
Better front lets go than back in normal driving

21 - 26 of 26 Posts