Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've agreed to take my C-HR to the detailers in two weeks, but wonder if it's worth €650.
For the money I get:
  • Full body polishing (€200 - includes engine compartment washing and interior dry cleaning);
  • Full body Gtechniq Crystal Serum (ceramics) and EXO (hydrophobic material) coverage (rims excluded) - €370;
  • All windows (3 layers on windshield) coverage with Gtechniq G1 hydrophobic material - €80

It's not too late to cancel, if you say it's overpriced :) Actually I've searched for detailers in my city - couldn't find any other with good reviews :/

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not sure how long Gtechniq stuff stays on a car but if it stays for approx. 3 years (what you get with nanolex coatings) then I would do it.
Full body polishing helps with the bonding of the coating and I would do it or at least clean the paint and marks with something.
Not sure about engine bay cleaning and interior dry cleaning. Probably a bit too much.

You can get away with doing it for about 100-150 euros if you do the work yourself. Not sure if Gtechniq requires infrared lamps and high heat for the coat to dry but with nanolex you can do it all at home yourself. You just follow the instructions of the products. It takes one day approximately so 500-550 is the cost of labour. I also coated plastic parts and headlights and taillamp with Gyeon Q2 trim. Not sure if gtechniq can be used on plastic or not.

Depending on the condition of your paint you don't even have to use a polishing machine. I used Meguiars paint cleaner to remove some light marks from my car before I applied the nanolex si3d coating . This is basically like clay. I also enjoyed doing it and i think it was worth it. It is impossible to get water to stay anywhere on the car so the car stays cleaner.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by "clean the paint and marks"? They said they'd clean all metal particles from the street, clean all around the badges and so on.

As for doing it myself, I have no skills nor knowledge how to do it :) Also it's -10°C outside and I have no place of 20°C to keep the car for 12 hours after covering with all the stuff :) Also polishing is required - they don't do all ceramic/hydro coating on non polished car :) And I know for sure I wouldn't enjoy doing it myself :D

On the detailers' page they say Gtechniq Crystal Serum lasts for up to 7 years, but you have to visit them every year for renewal.
Here's a short video of their work -

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like you have no choice then but to do it professionally.
What i mean is that paint needs to be clean from all contamination and light scratches or swirls before the coating is applied. I did the coating on a brand new car which only had minor swirls from the first wash so a paint cleaner was enough.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have these swirls only on one part of the hood. But there's a lot of contaminant from the street.
But thanks for the info, I think I'll call the guy and have a chat about the polishing price :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are sprays you can use to remove contaminants. I used Iron X and was surprised to find iron contaminants on a brand new car. Ask them how this coating product works with plastic and headlights.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked about plastic parts and head/rear lights.
All plastic parts will be covered with 1 layer of Gtechniq C4 and 2 layers of EXO (hydrophobic coating)
Lights glass he said goes the same as the body - Crystal Serum (ceramics) and EXO

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm going to say its a complete waste of money, other than making you're car look nice.

I was recently at a meeting where several of the worlds leading automotive paint suppliers were present and this question of detailing was raised.

Too a Man they all said it did no more to protect your paint than regular washing does.

I appreciate that might be contentious......Pay your money take your choice

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm.. That sounds about right from paint suppliers :) It's in their interest to sell more paint. Without any protection try leaving your car under linden tree when the resin drips an the roof :) The original factory polish looks like all in craters and the only way to fix is a full paint job. At least that's what I heard from multiple sources.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same could also be said for the detailing companies. Paint companies always sell paint, detailing companies dont always sell their products or offer 5 year warranties.

As I said "Pay your money take your choice"

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen damaged roof with my own eyes, so in this case I'm more suspicious about paint suppliers :) But you're right - everyone tries to sell their own product

G

·
You won't damage the coating.
I used it a lot when I lived near the traintracks and my paint got polluted by small iron particles which 'burned' into the coating. I could remove that rust with the clay.

Howto:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leensen.nl said:
You won't damage the coating.
I used it a lot when I lived near the traintracks and my paint got polluted by small iron particles which 'burned' into the coating. I could remove that rust with the clay.

Howto:
As I said, I don't have know how, skills, practice or a place to do it :) I'm doing it anyway. I was just wondering if I'm not overpaying :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
This post was informative

https://www.chrforums.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=415&p=3449#p3449

I paid £250 for my added paint protection...I did the glass myself, regardless they needed the car for 2 full days and i picked it up on the 3rd

Sadly my windscreen was replaced and I've not got around to sealing that again yet :(

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh.. Me being a lazy moderator :) I completely forgot there were some topics on the matter :)

Anyway, I see the prices are pretty much the same. I could've gone for a cheaper version of coating and limited it just to a single layer, but decided to make car really pop :D

Hopefully there'll still be some snow. Time to make some new pictures for the gallery :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
after 2-3 minor scratches (from other drivers while my car was parked :x ) i stop obsessing so much for car protection methods like ceramic coating etc. after all im planning to fully wrap it when i will get bored of this color :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts