Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Hybrid Auto Engine

9K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Chip 
#1 ·
Hi
I am considering buying C-HR with Hybrid Auto engine but have reservations regarding noise and power. Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience to allay my concern. I drive 24000 miles per year 50% motorway and 50% mixture of urban and rural driving.

#2 ·
Chip

I've done 1600 miles in my hybrid in less than a month and have to say I'm impressed

I'd guess total miles split is probably 60/40 motorway/urban and my economy is 62mpg, 60.3 on the brim test.

You will see the economy scrub off at speeds over 75mph, so if you've a heavy foot you'll have to retrain yourself, that said 500+ miles out of a tank is possible.

Plus it's a composed and relaxed drive :)

#3 ·
as Marky has said it is a change in driving habits that will get you the most out of Hybrid system and with that said the noise is not really a problem. if you just jump in and floor it there will be no benifit in having the hybrid ,after having my one a couple of months i love it and dont see any problems with it

#4 ·
I do about the same mileage and have had one for nearly 2 months.
The CVT gearbox is a little noisy when accellerating, especially up hill.
I knew that before I bought and it doesn't worry me at all because I get such good fuel economy.
Its a company car and I get paid the government advisory rate of 14ppm and its costing me less than 10ppm.
Good test drive recommended!
I had a Volvo V40 before and much prefer the C-HR.
Suspension is better, like the higher driving position, better and lighter steering, better looking, cheaper to run etc.

G
#9 ·
I do a fair bit of rural driving and had concerns about the overtaking ability. But unfounded as it turns out. I agree with all the other comments in this thread; however, two things- horses and cyclists. If you find you have slowed down and the engine(s) have switched to EV mode, just remember that a rider may not hear you so readily....and sounding your horn in such circumstances is not to be recommended! I get 60 to 70 mpg on the 10 mile trip into town...including a couple of steep hills. The information displayed on the dash gauges helps the driver balance economy, speed and power. I "downsized" from a 2.2 litre RAV4 and was worried- I needn't have. And the CHR will save me hundreds of pounds a year...in fact, the more I drive, the more I'll save. Can't be bad! :D

#10 ·
Chip said:
Interior is quite dark particularly in the rear. However most usage is either me alone or with my wife.
id only worry about that if some weirdo was in there :lol:
the rear parking camera helps with parking so the being dark in the back doesnt bother me or my wife at all

#12 ·
Chip said:
Great feedback.
I would be interested to hear if you looked at other makes/models before choosing your C-HR
I looked at the Ateca, Q2 and Golf.
For a company car, the C-HR wins hands down on cost for me.
I had to order well in advance and it looked at one pont that the C-HR wasn't going to be available in time.
I probably would have gone for a 1.4 L Golf as second choice.

#13 ·
Had my c-hr hybrid just under a week, I have noticed acceleration noisy compared to my previous 2.2 diesel Evoque, it seems to rev higher and longer before changing gear, it could possibly appear noisier because it's switching from silent electric to engine. The noice isn't a problem just different from what I'm used to. I'm trying to drive as economically as possible so learning how to get the most out of the hybrid, so far got 72mpg (me and hubby are on a mission to get the highest mpg). It's my first hybrid and I'm not in any way disappointed, I absolutely love it and the fuel economy is amazing! As far as it being dark inside the back....I don't sit in the back so done care!

#14 ·
Crazy Caroline said:
Had my c-hr hybrid just under a week, I have noticed acceleration noisy compared to my previous 2.2 diesel Evoque, it seems to rev higher and longer before changing gear, it could possibly appear noisier because it's switching from silent electric to engine. The noice isn't a problem just different from what I'm used to. I'm trying to drive as economically as possible so learning how to get the most out of the hybrid, so far got 72mpg (me and hubby are on a mission to get the highest mpg). It's my first hybrid and I'm not in any way disappointed, I absolutely love it and the fuel economy is amazing! As far as it being dark inside the back....I don't sit in the back so done care!
All totally valid points.
I think Caroline may not be as crazy as she thinks :D

Check out my MPG post in the MPG thread! :mrgreen:

#15 ·
MerlyWerly said:
Crazy Caroline said:
Ha!
Just seen it, wow that's great!

#16 ·
Crazy Caroline said:
MerlyWerly said:
Crazy Caroline said:
Ha!
Ha ha! Just seen it, wow that's great!

#17 ·
Crazy Caroline said:
Crazy Caroline said:
MerlyWerly said:
Ha!
Ha ha! Just seen it, wow that's great!
New game. Post tennis :lol:

#18 ·
Hi perrinss. Thank you so much for your feedback, I too have been looking at Q2, Ateca, Mokka X, 3 days test drive of the Ateca starts today. Discounted the MOKKA X as it was too small.
I also need to place the order for my next company car as my current lease end in August so I need to make the final decision this week as the delivery times are 12-16 weeks I understand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.