Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching online to no avail for the answer to this question....

Anyway, hello! I am going to treat myself to an upgrade from my Fiesta soon and am rather taken with the looks of the C-HR - I'm such a girl :lol:

Anyway I am slightly concerned with all the reviews saying the view is very poor out the back and visibility is a bit dodgey on the blind over-shoulder spot. Also is the back of the car really as dark as it seems on videos on Youtube?

Could you please help me and confirm or deny whether this is a major issue when actually driving the car please so that I can either continue dreaming or come to terms with saying goodbye :lol:

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Im tall so yes all i see is the pillar to my right. The mirror isnt great either. So i just lean my head forwards when merging or transition slowly till I can see.

The rear view isnt great but I only ever use mirrors anyway. Now I have a camera too but i still forget to use it. No bumps yet.

Drunk women always say ooh its big back here. Ie feck its dark am I in outerspace. Btw i do some rogue taxi so nothing crude. Take me home, ok who's home lol

Just go drive one. I have the basic trim so its all black. The test car is obviously very different and mine is not as comfy.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
as already stated take one for a test drive its the only way you will know if you like it or hate it, personally i love it so im going to be biased and say its all great because i dont know what all the fuss about the back being dark is all about as i haven't been a passenger in the back, rear view from the mirror is small but no smaller than my slk plus you get reversing camera and as many sensors as the star ship enterprise to help you park

G

·
It was one of my concerns too. However, it doesn't bother me now. Maybe it's just "different car so different strengths and weaknesses" but I can happily live with the not-so-good because of the I-like-this bits. The style of driving you use will change whatever- because it's a different car to the one you are used to. I use the wing mirrors a lot more on the CHR than I did with the RAV4. There is also an adequate number of "safety features" and "toys" to compensate- such as cameras, radar, blind spot monitors in the wing mirrors.....For me it also helps that it's an automatic (I have the hybrid) so that may make it easier...not worrying about clutch and gear lever at junctions etc. My driveway is on a slope to the open road so I had to adjust my positioning when exiting to ensure good vision...but easily done...and, again, the CVT helps.
Keep dreaming. Have a test drive...if you can, overnight. BUT...a word of warning...there are so many electronic gadgets/features...even after a few hours you'll still have much to learn about the car.
:)

·
Registered
759 Posts
MyFlabberIsGasted said:
I've been searching online to no avail for the answer to this question....

Anyway, hello! I am going to treat myself to an upgrade from my Fiesta soon and am rather taken with the looks of the C-HR - I'm such a girl :lol:

Anyway I am slightly concerned with all the reviews saying the view is very poor out the back and visibility is a bit dodgey on the blind over-shoulder spot. Also is the back of the car really as dark as it seems on videos on Youtube?

Could you please help me and confirm or deny whether this is a major issue when actually driving the car please so that I can either continue dreaming or come to terms with saying goodbye :lol:

Thanks!
A test drive is the best bet, but the darkness of the back can be assessed in the showroom. It is a little dark in the back and a couple of passengers have agreed with me, but its not excessive, and my grandkids love it. How important it is to you depends on how often you carry passengers in the back. For me it very seldom.
The blind spot is no worse than othe cars I've owned but be aware there is a blind spot monitor that puts a light on in the mirror if there is a vehicle in your blind spot

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is darker in the rear than any other car I have had but in no way did it put me off buying the car. Sat the family in the back and they said it was fine for every day use. On a longer journey of over a couple of hours it might be an issue but the number of times we have that kind of journey in a year I can count on one hand. Visibility is not the best but again in no way did it put me off buying the car. Its loaded with some excellent gadgets that really do work. I have to say steeriing is very light and precise and it makes manouvering the car very easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, very useful

I'm going to be doing about 50-100 miles (urban, rural and motorway) a day when at work and am wondering if the 1.2 manual will be efficient enough too. I can currently get 350-400 miles from about 35-40l diesel in my Fiesta.

I would appreciate any pointers in this too, if you don't mind - thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Right, as to the rear view issues, yes it's not great compared to a standard car, but the C-HR isn't a standard car, it's much better :)

The rear view isn't great and the back is a bit dark but the rest of the car is brilliant. The blind spot monitor is amazing and from the drivers point of view a slight movement of your head negates the visibility problems.

I have the hybrid version and am amazed at the economy and performance, I'm not sure which engine you are looking at but recommend it a lot, it's the first I've owned and am a convert :)

If you are a private buyer with fuel costs to consider I'd seriously think going hybrid.

·
Registered
641 Posts
MyFlabberIsGasted said:
Thanks everyone, very useful

I'm going to be doing about 50-100 miles (urban, rural and motorway) a day when at work and am wondering if the 1.2 manual will be efficient enough too. I can currently get 350-400 miles from about 35-40l diesel in my Fiesta.

I would appreciate any pointers in this too, if you don't mind - thanks!
Urban = excels at.
Rural = excels at.
Motorway - super comfy with the radar cruise control.

The one and only thing that urks me a bit is big hills. It hates them.

I have had my 7 year old nephews travel in the back of it and they love it. All these reviews about kids hating it are tosh.
Yes it's dark. But are you really bothered about that when you are off on a trip in a transformer looking car as good as this one? Hell no!
They love being in it.. they love looking round it... they love it, and so do I. Absolutely no regrets whatsoever. Comfy too. One of the comfiest I have ever driven.

As for 1.2 over hybrid if fuel cost is a factor I would go Hybrid. Better round town and great on country roads with the low sitting battery giving way to slightly better cornering. If a faster nippier ride is your thing then get the 1.2 which from others reviews seems better on the old M6 car park.
No matter what your decision however, you will be mega happy.

and.. welcome :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts