Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the main differences between the icon/excel and the dynamic variants is the Led headlights in the dynamic. Anyone on here able to explain if the LED headlights are better than the halogens?

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
i can tell you that they are as bright as my Hids on my merc
and part of the reason on getting the dynamic

·
Registered
314 Posts
One of the big differences is that LED lights have a longer life than halogen and should not need replacing, however should they need replacing I believe that they are quite expensive.

That reminds me of a car bulb issue I had a few years ago. I was on my way to a pre-booked MOT and half way there the faulty light warning came on. Not much I could do other than ask the garage (main dealer) to change the faulty bulb. The result a bill of £26 for a £2 bulb - not happy, even to this day!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have to say I'm really impressed with the LEDs - brightest headlines I've ever known. Does anyone know if they need a converter for driving on the continent.

Also the auto full beams on this car are amazing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Toyota headlights are not convertible and you'll have to use Eurolites...
As for the LED headlamps, I'm only missing the running turn signals since I installed 55w 5000K HID conversion kit which is definitely brighter than the LEDs. Also the rear combination LED lights look much better and are first on my wish list. Hopefully will buy them in April.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm using auto main beams for the first time and I am disappointed, mostly because in many different occasions they do not perform well. For example: on long stretches of road it does not switch to dipped beams before the oncoming car flashes. Same case with lorries on motorways where the headlights are hidden by the barriers and the system does not switch to dipped beam, but the drivers are much higher above the road and are blinded.

·
Registered
544 Posts
JulianoG said:
I'm using auto main beams for the first time and I am disappointed, mostly because in many different occasions they do not perform well. For example: on long stretches of road it does not switch to dipped beams before the oncoming car flashes. Same case with lorries on motorways where the headlights are hidden by the barriers and the system does not switch to dipped beam, but the drivers are much higher above the road and are blinded.
Mine seem to dip really well on long stretches of road - I've not had any flashes. I do agree about motorway barriers but I don't see how the system they use which i think is just camera based, could really cope with that automatically. I have noticed it is really not as good if the windscreen is at all dirty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Garry said:
I've not had any flashes...

...not as good if the windscreen is at all dirty.
Maybe you had no flashes because my headlights have 5000K 55w HID kit which has rated output of 4000+lm while the halogen HIR2 bulbs produce roughly 1500-1700lm @3700K.
I've had flashes from a distance > 3 miles on a straight road. This is why I use the auto main beam only on winding regular roads.

david63 said:
You mean to say that you do not clean your windscreen before every journey? :shock: :shock: :roll:
About the clean windshield, you know you have wipers, don't you?

·
Registered
544 Posts
JulianoG said:
About the clean windshield, you know you have wipers, don't you?
I wondered what that switch did :D

Actually I am going to get the wipers looked at as they appear to be smearing just in front of the camera which certainly doesn't help.

You are probably right about the HIDS I suspect the Auto Dip is adjusted for the factory fitted lights - I wonder if it is a tweakable setting.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was in a tunnel the other day. The auto main beams came on and blinded everyone. Its was great lol. Because no one else had headlights on it didnt recognise them. Also happened going under trees. This car is full of tricks that need disabling asap to keep your sanity.

·
Registered
641 Posts
JulianoG said:
Leggera said:
This car is full of tricks that need disabling asap to keep your sanity.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am often saying that my car is smarter than its owner. :oops: :oops:
It is definitely smarter than me lol I didn't go for any kits but I got some Michiba 5K ultra white bulbs (rated at 55w still though). Had them on my last car and they give a crisp clear white light that works extremely well (albeit the projectors on the Citroen were pants).

I will be fitting them into the CHR if it is dry tomorrow and will put some pics up. Not that they will compete with the HIDS :)

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
pure white light from the leds, taken 1st night of having the car

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
The colour of the halogen 5ks I have aren't quite as pure as that but pretty close.
I just couldn't justify the extra pennies to get LED head lights.

Looks good ans

·
Registered
641 Posts
ok. I have had a fair few cars over the years and the C-HR is the most amazingly easy car to change headlights on.
I am truly astonished. 5 minutes to change both bulbs. Epic win!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts