Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking delivery of my C-HR in April and the first job I would like to do is hard wire my TomTom, looking through older posts I only see people talking about hard wiring dash cams to the fuse box, would it be a similar operation and is it easy to get to the fuse box to do this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hard wired my dash cam to the fuse box in the passenger footwell. 15 amp fuse for the auxiliary power socket, used a piggy back fuse to splice into it . Works really well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, I saw a pic of this piggy back fuse, looks like a good idea and way to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hard wired my dash cam to the fuse box in the passenger footwell. 15 amp fuse for the auxiliary power socket, used a piggy back fuse to splice into it . Works really well.
are you able to send a pic of where it is in the passenger footwell? I can’t find anywhere with fuses except the engine compartment. Need it for a dash cam. Thank you in advance 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plugged my dashcam the old fashion way into the 12v in the centre armrest. No modifications, no tools (a plastic trim tool helps), all hidden.

From the glovebox area just continue under carpet to centre console, tuck under the side, remove the rear trim of centre console (it's clipped in and easy to remove by hand from the back), open lid and feed the wire from back (where took off trim) into centre armrest and plug in.

Opening and closing cente lid not affected. I use a 2 way splitter (with usb sockets) so there's no issue with reaching socket inside armrest. The wire is original from dashcam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plugged my dashcam the old fashion way into the 12v in the centre armrest. No modifications, no tools (a plastic trim tool helps), all hidden.

From the glovebox area just continue under carpet to centre console, tuck under the side, remove the rear trim of centre console (it's clipped in and easy to remove by hand from the back), open lid and feed the wire from back (where took off trim) into centre armrest and plug in.

Opening and closing cente lid not affected. I use a 2 way splitter (with usb sockets) so there's no issue with reaching socket inside armrest. The wire is original from dashcam.
thank you for this :) I didn’t realise that the glovebox had a permanent wire, I’ll give that a go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
thank you for this :) I didn’t realise that the glovebox had a permanent wire, I’ll give that a go!
Oh sorry, didn't include the bit at the start where you route the dashcam power wire from headliner, down A pillar to glovebox area (though this bit is straightforward and where you might use the plastic tool to help hide wire)

Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got power from auto dimming mirror. No wiring needed. Used a tube fuse and 12v to 5v USB converter. Best way for a clean installation. I have been using this method for 7 years without any problems in my last 4 vehicles. Can't say much about tomtom though.
Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer data storage Rectangle Data storage device

Netbook Automotive design Automotive lighting Textile Wood
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive mirror Vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts