Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned 2 Dynamics already and it will soon be time to switch to my new motor.

As usual, I'm faced with the frustration of Toyota's limited and non-interchangeable appearance options for each model. I've held out on changing in the hope there will be new options, but it looks like nothing new is coming anytime soon and I have to change before March 2023.

Mostly, it's the colours. I quite like the new blue/grey available in the GR Sport range but the other colours (all of them) are really not very sporty at all (and I don't want another pearl-white, I have that now with all-black wheels, red stripes and mirrors, so a new one would just look like a lesser version of that without the mirrors and stripes and no all-black wheel option). The Excel, I can at least have all black with black wheels, plus a nice stripe of colour if I want that, and side as well as rear skirts (nope, can't have those on the GR Sport), but the wheels are only 18 inch. I find it really frustrating that there's no better flexibility.

Overall, I'm leaning towards the Excel (sod the wheel size), but am I missing out on anything big by not going the GR Sport route? Are there other differences besides a stiffer ride and lack of smoked headlamps? I've tried using the site comparison but equipment differences aren't being listed.

What do other people prefer and why?

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
Excel has leather, electric driver's seat adjustment & heater steering wheel as standard.
JBL audio is a stand alone upgrade pack.

GR Sport you pay extra for an electric drivers seat as its part of the Alcantara upgrade pack.

If you also want JBL it isn't a stand alone option - that's part of the Alcantara & JBL upgrade pack.
So on a GR Sport your forced to have Alcantara if you want JBL.

If the range of exterior colours wasn't so limited on the Excel I might have ordered one.
Instead I ordered a GR Sport with the JBL / Alcantara upgrade pack.

The only thing I wish the UK spec GR Sport could have is the heated steering wheel the European spec ones can have ( it's far to expensive to retrofit )

FYI - JBL upgrades have been removed from Yaris, Yaris Cross & Corolla configurators due to component shortages - it's currently still available on C-HR but who knows how long for.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've owned 2 Dynamics already and it will soon be time to switch to my new motor.

As usual, I'm faced with the frustration of Toyota's limited and non-interchangeable appearance options for each model. I've held out on changing in the hope there will be new options, but it looks like nothing new is coming anytime soon and I have to change before March 2023.

Mostly, it's the colours. I quite like the new blue/grey available in the GR Sport range but the other colours (all of them) are really not very sporty at all (and I don't want another pearl-white, I have that now with all-black wheels, red stripes and mirrors, so a new one would just look like a lesser version of that without the mirrors and stripes and no all-black wheel option). The Excel, I can at least have all black with black wheels, plus a nice stripe of colour if I want that, and side as well as rear skirts (nope, can't have those on the GR Sport), but the wheels are only 18 inch. I find it really frustrating that there's no better flexibility.

Overall, I'm leaning towards the Excel (sod the wheel size), but am I missing out on anything big by not going the GR Sport route? Are there other differences besides a stiffer ride and lack of smoked headlamps? I've tried using the site comparison but equipment differences aren't being listed.

What do other people prefer and why?
We have the Excel.2.0 it's a comfortable ride that's the main thing. But looking at your post are you driving 1.2manual.
The auto box will be a new thing also then change in engine size.
The heated steering wheel in coming months will be big win for us up here in Land of the Prince Bishops. Larger tyres means more noise usually for me personally. The White Pearl is a doddle to clean is my first white car, I've had loads of white vans tho,you sometimes see the ash grey chr on the road they almost look white.? My thoughts would be go look,test drive,have a good poke around different spec cars. From what GR boys say Forkingabout,Huey etc it's not really firmed up like true sports orientated cars. But I'm happy,I've had last three cars with every piece of kit you could put on them flash interior lights 64colors, panoramic roof,low profile tyres,seats all colours.
But the car must suit your daily needs thats what we've done this time,my boy racer days are a distant memory.

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
From what GR boys say Forkingabout,Huey etc it's not really firmed up like true sports orientated cars.
The front and rear springs have been stiffened by 10 and 15% respectively and the shock absorbers have been tuned for increased damping force, particularly on the rebound. The larger diameter anti-roll bar that’s used in the 2.0-litre model has been applied to the 1.8-litre model to reduce body roll and improve pitch control. The steering system has also been tuned for better response and the GR Sport rides on model-specific tyres.

Taken from the GR Sport press release:

Toyota C-HR GR Sport: motorsport-inspired looks and handling - Toyota UK Magazine

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ordered the 1.8 gr because the boot is bigger ( will take grandkids pushchair sideways leaving boot clear for other items) 1.8 because I've had powerful cars in the past and today's roads are so busy and full of potholes and speed humps speed has become redundant.
Gr because I like the wheels, interior and bi colour body work, ordered decuma grey as have had white and red cars so a change in colour and I quite like the mettallic effect on the darker colour, it really changes in the sun light.
Each to their own though, if we all liked the same things it would be a boring world.

Good luck in your decision

·
Registered
165 Posts
I ordered the 1.8 gr because the boot is bigger ( will take grandkids pushchair sideways leaving boot clear for other items) 1.8 because I've had powerful cars in the past and today's roads are so busy and full of potholes and speed humps speed has become redundant.
Gr because I like the wheels, interior and bi colour body work, ordered decuma grey as have had white and red cars so a change in colour and I quite like the mettallic effect on the darker colour, it really changes in the sun light.
Each to their own though, if we all liked the same things it would be a boring world.

Good luck in your decision
I agree about traffic etc,and we are officially in digging season for road teams up here. Wife has passed thru two today and another being prepared.☹

·
Registered
333 Posts
I went for the 2.0 GR Sport as 19” wheels look better as do black roof and trim (IMO) and slightly stiffer suspension but still pretty comfortable.
Boot space a tad smaller in 2.0 but minimal, and still slightly better than my previous Golf (boot space smaller than normal as had 4WD/haldex) also after having 310 bhp in the golf didn’t even look at 1.8. Car keeps up with most on road anyway

Wasn’t bothered about heated steering wheel, didn’t have one in last car.
Auto box suits the CVT, and both have plenty of similar gadgets. Upgraded MMI good apart from regular drop outs of MyT

nearly 5 months on really happy with it

Only advice I can give is to use a discount price site (car wow / drive the deal) as discounts available and gives a starting point for dealer negotiation. If they won’t price match go with the site deal - same car and could save a few k
oh, take the pcp finance deal even if paying cash, just pay it off after purchase and keep the Toyota contribution - I kept mine as was offered 0% interest, but not sure what current deals are

End of the day, your money, your choice....

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
take the pcp finance deal even if paying cash, just pay it off after purchase and keep the Toyota contribution - I kept mine as was offered 0% interest, but not sure what current deals are
I to got the 0% PCP finance over 36 months with Toyota deposit contribution.

I'm happy to let it run ( helps with your credit score ) as the CBP is happily sitting in a savings account ready for the end of the deal.

CBP = Crippling Ballon Payment

·
Registered
333 Posts
I to got the 0% PCP finance over 36 months with Toyota deposit contribution.

I'm happy to let it run ( helps with your credit score ) as the CBP is happily sitting in a savings account ready for the end of the deal.

CBP = Crippling Ballon Payment
I put the cash into premium bonds. Have already had over £400 in payouts, so doing okay. Will review options if winnings drop and interest rates rise

No point spending my cash until I need to

I always take the pcp deal and normally pay it off a few days after getting the car. Last time was the golf and cost me £6 in interest but got £1500 extra contribution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is why I went with a very low mileage orange edition rather than a new gr sport.
The combination of excel and dynamic.
I didn't want 19 inch rims on account of British roads not being smooth and potholed. Tires are more expensive and The gr has harder suspension and on YouTube I watched a number of reviews where the car was never really settled and the suspension was jiggling up and down constantly. That was a biggy for me having had a German car with little to no suspension.
Also I wanted leather and not alcantara. Leather has to be looked after but it's far harder wearing than the synthetic alcantara. They always fit alcantara to the seat bolsters which suffer the worst wear with getting in and out so it starts looking worn and bobbly very quickly.
I wanted JBL audio tho and it's very good and blows the stock audio out the water, but still isn't anything close to a mark levinson that lexus fit. The mark levinson is proper audiophile.
Then the steering wheel.. I've worked nights for years and having a heated steering wheel when it's minus 8 and below and you get in a freezing cold car is just such a lovely thing.
As for alcantara

Alcantara fabric: What is it and is it worth it?

You've got to live with the ride quality, colour, audio..
Choose wisely.

·
Registered
333 Posts
”I didn't want 19 inch rims on account of British roads not being smooth and potholed. Tires are more expensive and The gr has harder suspension and on YouTube I watched a number of reviews where the car was never really settled and the suspension was jiggling up and down constantly. That was a biggy for me having had a German car with little to no suspension.”
The ride on 19s is better than my previous Golf on 18s over speed bumps and potholes (even when that was set on comfort)

”They always fit alcantara to the seat bolsters which suffer the worst wear with getting in and out so it starts looking worn and bobbly very quickly.”
Side bolsters are all leather in CHR, only centre part of seat (base and back) are alcantara
No issues so far for me with side bolsters and they seem more robust than the ones in my previous car, but maybe I’m careful getting in and out as the golf seats had very flimsy cushion bolsters

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
I originally test drove a 1.8 Excel then ordered a 2 litre GR Sport without test driving one.
I did get to test drive a 2 litre GR Sport before mine arrived.

I found the GR Sport suspension isn't that much stiffer then the rest of the C-HR range.

I've had a couple of previous vehicles fitted with leather seats, I'm not really a fan of leather seats anymore & now much prefer Alcantara.

FWIW - I find either spec C-HR are more comfortable then my previous 308 T9 hatchback on its 17" wheels & standard suspension.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is why I went with a very low mileage orange edition rather than a new gr sport.
I didn't want 19 inch rims on account of British roads not being smooth and potholed. Tires are more expensive and The gr has harder suspension and on YouTube I watched a number of reviews where the car was never really settled and the suspension was jiggling up and down constantly. That was a biggy for me having had a German car with little to no suspension.
Also I wanted leather and not alcantara. Leather has to be looked after but it's far harder wearing than the synthetic alcantara. They always fit alcantara to the seat bolsters which suffer the worst wear with getting in and out so it starts looking worn and bobbly very quickly.
I wanted JBL audio tho and it's very good and blows the stock audio out the water, but still isn't anything close to a mark levinson that lexus fit. The mark levinson is proper audiophile.
Then the steering wheel.. I've worked nights for years and having a heated steering wheel when it's minus 8 and below and you get in a freezing cold car is just such a lovely thing.
As for alcantara

Choose wisely.
We picked ours up in late February so heated steering wheel wasn't much used but it's a big plus. Years of early mornings scraping the windscreen clear of frost and snow loading tools in then getting in and grabbing the steering wheel and it's colder than outside brrrr.
Wife asked do I miss it(not one bit)
As for alcantara

Choose wisely.
The heated steering wheel,47yrs of scraping van windscreens at 6am on those winter mornings humping gear in then climb in steering wheel feels like a scaffold tube Arghhhh. It's a yes from me for these old hands👍

·
Registered
165 Posts
We picked ours up in late February so heated steering wheel wasn't much used but it's a big plus. Years of early mornings scraping the windscreen clear of frost and snow loading tools in then getting in and grabbing the steering wheel and it's colder than outside brrrr.
Wife asked do I miss it(not one bit)

The heated steering wheel,47yrs of scraping van windscreens at 6am on those winter mornings humping gear in then climb in steering wheel feels like a scaffold tube Arghhhh. It's a yes from me for these old hands👍
Sorry chaps made right hash of my reply here,blaming medication I'm taking for slipped discs.🤪

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ouch 😯 I'm glad my backpain isn't as serious as yours - I do get beaten up by a massage therapist to treat my back pain 🤣
Was at the Physio yday, she was Miss Whiplash in disguise, car this morning had inside condensation on boot window, culprit was soaking wet umbrella and dogs towel Arghhh, clear first chilly night up here hobbled out to car parked her in the sun.

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
329 Posts
Was at the Physio yday, she was Miss Whiplash in disguise.
Mine calls me a freak as I'm her only client that can take her full strength / weight without tapping out 🤣

I have a hour session every 3 weeks which fits in with my shifts & helps maintain my back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts