Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my C-HR on July 2017. I didn't pay the extra cost for the Toyota Navi because I wanted to try MirrorLink with my cell phone. However my cell phone is old and doesn't work with it. I was told I need a new cell phone with Android 7 and of a specific manufacturer (Samsung, HTC, etc).
From the other hand, I have read that Toyota Navi is not so good and doesn't worth the cost.
So here is my question: Should I buy a new cell phone compatible with MirrorLink or should I purchase Toyota Navi?
Any ideas are welcome! Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Any device supporting MirrorLink works crappy (or more like apps supporting Mirrorlink on a device supporting MirrorLink) on a C-HR
Toyota Navi is also a crap.

Search forum on both subjects - lots have been discussed on Sat Nav and MirrorLink

·
Registered
521 Posts
Toyota Navi is also a crap
I can't agree with that. It depends what you are comparing it with, obviously a company like TomTom or Garmin who make stand alone products and invest all their resources in improving it are going to make a better product than a car manufacturer. If you compare it to other car manufacturers navigation systems it is absolutely fine, IMO. I have recently used Mercedes, BMW and Landrover systems and they all have differing strengths and weaknesses but none stand out as much better or worse than the CHR system. But just to label it crap is misinformed and very simplistic IMO.

·
Registered
681 Posts
In my opinion the CHR navigation system is not better or worse than the Car navigation system I used before (Volkswagen). The advantage of the CHR system compared to the VW system is that it can use Live Traffic (made by TomTom).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Karmalakas said:
Toyota Navi is also a crap.
In what way? Don't just make derogatory statements without justifying them.

I too have no problems with Toyota Navi - it gets me to where I want to go, usually by the route that I would have taken anyway. It gets me around motorway hold ups. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Nothing wrong with Toyota navigation especially in the UK. Not let me down at all

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
All of you, who want to know my arguments, already can find it on some topics here.
And I compare it to my personal usage. Most of the time I don't have all day to set a simple route - that's why it's a crap. I literally wasted almost an hour to set up a 100km route with one stop. Can't even imagine how long would it take to set up a week's time route with lots of POIs.

When the route is set up or you are using only main routes, it's fine. But I don't have so much patience to wait for at least 3 seconds after every tap while entering an address or even longer when trying to change a place directly on a map, because there are no direct address to the place in Sat Nav database... (Yeah, I have latest Maps and Firmware; Also only three small EU countries in database)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Samsung S8 phone with Sygic Car Navigation for 54,95 euro with lifetime upgrade and it works fast and with no problems, Toyota Navi would cost much more...

·
Registered
521 Posts
When the route is set up or you are using only main routes, it's fine. But I don't have so much patience to wait for at least 3 seconds after every tap while entering an address or even longer when trying to change a place directly on a map, because there are no direct address to the place in Sat Nav database... (Yeah, I have latest Maps and Firmware; Also only three small EU countries in database
Sounds like a problem with your car, I suggest you take it to your dealer and get it checked out, because mine is nothing like that that

·
Registered
314 Posts
asinrute said:
When the route is set up or you are using only main routes, it's fine. But I don't have so much patience to wait for at least 3 seconds after every tap while entering an address or even longer when trying to change a place directly on a map, because there are no direct address to the place in Sat Nav database... (Yeah, I have latest Maps and Firmware; Also only three small EU countries in database
Sounds like a problem with your car, I suggest you take it to your dealer and get it checked out, because mine is nothing like that that
I would agree with that

·
Registered
7 Posts
dim_theo said:
buhica said:
I have Samsung S8 phone with Sygic Car Navigation for 54,95 euro with lifetime upgrade and it works fast and with no problems, Toyota Navi would cost much more...
Are you connecting to the car with the LG Mirror drive app?
No, Sygic Car Navigation has built in mirrorlink...

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
you can even use the Toyota app to plan a route and send it to your car which i did the other day why having a cup of coffee in town ,got to the car and it loaded it to my destinations as i was waiting for the wife, whats not to like,
but my car is online all the time .

·
Registered
251 Posts
ans said:
you can even use the Toyota app to plan a route and send it to your car which i did the other day why having a cup of coffee in town ,got to the car and it loaded it to my destinations as i was waiting for the wife, whats not to like,
but my car is online all the time .
You got that to work then, did you Ans??

I tried it once, it said it was sent. But couldn't find on Multimedia System.

Have since found a setting on My Toyota Website, and gonna see if that sorts out the issue.

LMK...

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
ans said:
you can even use the Toyota app to plan a route and send it to your car
No, You can not, unless Your Google account is registered to the right country or Your Android device is somehow special, because none of my devices are supported by the app (HTC Sensation, Nexus 5, Nexus 9, Sony Xperia XZ Premium)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts