Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have got Google maps, YouTube etc working on the original Touch 2 Go unit. Works even when car is moving and touchscreen works on it. Finally can use Google maps for navigation, use own music app and watch video stuff (on the move too, that's illegal lol)

The only thing needed is a Sony Xperia Z2 (android version 5.1.1, update at your own risk!), fits nicely in the cubby next to the USB port. Can get used for less than £40. The only extra software needed is to download the LG MirrorDrive app apk (v1.2.1.2) on the phone (free). I didn't need to change the original headunit or take it out.

The LG MirrorDrive app allows the mirrorlink to work while the car is moving.

Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Gadget Output device

Output device Aircraft Communication Device Plant Gadget

Gadget Communication Device Font Display device Electronic device

Hood Automotive design Bumper Communication Device Gadget

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Does it have to be this specific phone? I don’t understand how this works if the car doesn’t support AA/CarPlay? Can you help me understand please?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Does it have to be this specific phone? I don’t understand how this works if the car doesn’t support AA/CarPlay? Can you help me understand please?
Hi, in the past some Samsung phones also worked but guessing they don't anymore after upgrading, since Samsung no longer support MirrorLink. The Sony Xperia Z2 or Z3 are the safest bets as they are MirrorLink compatible, which our 2016-2019 CHR Touch 2 Go (TTG) support. One thing I don't know is if the Sony phone's Android version are newer than 5.1.1, will they still support MirrorLink, hopefully they do.

When connected by USB and using the MirrorLink app, the phone's display is mirrored and you can control it on the CHR screen. Your CHR screen basically becomes a phone so you can use Google Maps, Internet Radio, YouTube, browser etc..

At the moment I just hotspot my main phone and the Sony Z2 connects to it by wifi, which also gives it GPS location for navigation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, that sounds like a decent solution. All I want is Waze and Spotify.

I’m not an android person sorry. Are these two apps still supported on Android 5.1.1.

Would you recommend the Z3 over the Z2? And just to confirm, with this solution, you can tap on the C-HR’s screen to launch apps etc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can confirm Waze and Spotify work on Android 5.1.1
Z3 should be a better hardware than Z2, I'm finding Z2 very decent though so either are good.
Can also confirm you can control everything on the CHR's screen, so once it's connected you can leave the Sony phone hidden.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s a very nice little work around. Looking for Z3’s on eBay now.

What if the previous user has upgraded past 5.1.1? Is it useless?
I'm afraid I don't know. Seems like the combination of a Sony Z2/3 owner + CHR owner + forum user has never happened before :LOL:

The Z2 & Z3 only have updates to Android 6.0.1, from what I've read there wasn't any change to the MirrorLink feature (but I'm not 100%).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Cowtc,

I must say, bravo on this post and suggestion!

my (very) used z3 arrived today and after a bit of tinkering and YouTubing, I got it working! However a couple of questions if you don’t mind (I’m not an Android user so appologies if any of these are dumb!):

1. The screen of my Xperia stays on when connected. How do I make it switch off?
2. The battery drains whilst plugged in and in use even though it states it’s charging. This is likely linked to point1…?
3. I have to manually start MirrorLink via the Xperia settings every time. Is there a way that I can make it start automatically? If not, can I make a shortcut or something to it?
4. When playing music via Spotify, it’s a bit jumpy. I’m guessing that’s down to the fact that it’s a Bluetooth connection to my iPhone for a hotspot? Any suggestions?
5. Waze frequently says: “no GPS, using approximate location” or something similar. Do you know if it’s using the GPS from the Xperia or my iPhone hotspot.
6. Can I have my iPhone connected to the car’s Bluetooth for calls whilst using MirrorLink?

it’s a great “hacky” solution that I am very grateful to you for suggesting. However I can’t see it as a permanent one as: 1. My wife wouldn’t be able to use it as it is as it’s too complicated to setup. 2. I was hoping to hide it all away and leave it permanently connected in place. However due to the battery draining and the manual connection, this doesn’t seem possible.

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you got it working, it is very cool to have! I've responded to your points with my experience below:

1. The screen of my Xperia stays on when connected. How do I make it switch off?
Same here, also stays on.

2. The battery drains whilst plugged in and in use even though it states it’s charging. This is likely linked to point1…?
I don't know if I'm lucky, but my Xperia battery stays at 99% (did a 1.5 hour return trip and was still the case). Don't know if maybe lowering the screen brightness could help?

3. I have to manually start MirrorLink via the Xperia settings every time. Is there a way that I can make it start automatically? If not, can I make a shortcut or something to it?
Same here, i couldn't find a shortcut to it. The 'square' icon that brings up current in memory apps always has the mirrorlink settings there, which is what I use for quicker access.

4. When playing music via Spotify, it’s a bit jumpy. I’m guessing that’s down to the fact that it’s a Bluetooth connection to my iPhone for a hotspot? Any suggestions?
I get the same jumpy music for first 10-20 seconds listening to music app then is fine after that. I use a Samsung galaxy phone with hotspot wifi, so could be the the bluetooth wifi causing it

5. Waze frequently says: “no GPS, using approximate location” or something similar. Do you know if it’s using the GPS from the Xperia or my iPhone hotspot.
Again, can you wifi hotspot your iphone and connect the Xperia to the wifi? I believe the xperia will use the wifi for better GPS location (there's also a setting to increase location precision on the xperia)

6. Can I have my iPhone connected to the car’s Bluetooth for calls whilst using MirrorLink?
I don't think Mirrorlink would work if doesn't connect to the Xperia via Bluetooth for sound, although I haven't tried it myself

I only use the Mirrorlink if I'm going on a long trip or somewhere I'm not familiar with. I also use google maps as main nav, don't know if Waze uses more battery. The trips where I've used Xperia for navigation worked really well, there is an extra minute or so getting it set up but worth it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys, how do you get the mirror link app in the car? I can't see the option anywhere. I've got a 2017 dynamic.
Once the Sony Xperia Z2/Z3 phone is plugged in (USB) and MirrorLink app started, the MirrorLink icon appears (it is not normally there) on the CHR screen (press twice the bottom right "phone internet" icon to see the CHR apps)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts