Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:

If I travel from Germany to the UK, via the tunnel, in my pervious car I would fill up at home and then again at Ashford, that was/is my benchmark.

So using my benchmark, when I drove to the UK last week I found that the range displayed was getting so low that I filled up in France, putting in 33 ltrs which I think I am correct in saying that the fuel tank on the 1.8 Hybrid holds 43 ltrs of fuel :) so a long way short.

Well on my return I decided to take it a step further, so filled up at Ashford (as always) and set off, determined to make the trip in one go, so I get in to Germany and everything is good, 60kms from home and the fuel warning light comes on. In my own backyard so I know there are loads of petrol stations along the route, so just keep going :D

I am now 20kms from home and the range left is 5kms, fuel light has been on a while, so I think okay, time to fill up before taking any chances.

Fill up and a grand total of 35 ltrs fit in the tank :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It would suggest that I could have gone at least another 100kms...that is only if I'm correct that the tank holds 43 ltrs :lol:

Ideas :?:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts

And the range it shows in km depends on your driving style at the moment.
By the way, manual says it's 50l tank.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Karmalakas said:

And the range it shows in km depends on your driving style at the moment.
By the way, manual says it's 50l tank.
Interesting :shock: 50 L :?:

The online manual I was reading earlier says 43 L (page 669)....

It also says the warning light goes on at 5.7 ltrs...so around 70kms and not 7.5L :?: :?:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nearchos said:
No the manual says 50L for the 1.2 turbo, but 43L for the 1.8 hybrid.
That makes sense... :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But it doesn't make sense, 43L tank, warning light goes on and I fill up with 35 L (after 30-40kms), still a difference of 8L :? :? :? :?

·
Registered
14 Posts
keep in mind, that when you fill up you might be filling beyond the capacity of the tank (e.g. the tube that leads to the tank too, which can hold another few liters). so perhaps there were less than 8L in the tank. if you want to be safe you better refill when the light comes up ;-)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I see the same numbers at the pump. I also have the feeling I run out of gas quicker than with my 2010 Auris Hybrid. Even though the C-HR is more fuel economic (on paper). The higher consumption occurs at higher speeds since the drag of the C-HR is much higher than an Auris. SInce I tend to drive 130 KM/H on motorways this costs quite a bit of fuel.

But I drove one time untill the needle was completely on the last dash of the gauge, and even then I did not manage te get more than 36 litres in. That suggests that there was still 7 litres in the tank.

Next time I fuel up I will check the fuel level with Techstream (it shows the fuel contents in litres) before and after refueling. So I can see how much the system registers and how much the pump registers. To see if the numbers in the cars computer add up.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've put 39.5l in when running on fumes and also filled a 10l jerry can which I managed to squeeze in an additional 7l in when home (3 miles from the station). But that was filled right to the filler cap.

When filling the car I don't stop at the first click but pull the nozzle out and trickle another 3-4l in

Have managed 500 miles on a brimmed tank :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Only re fueled twice so far but both times the refuel light has been on for 1 day and both times it refilled with 38 litres.
Until I read this and the manual I was convinced it was a tiny tiny tank.
415 miles but seems as MarkyMUK has said I could probably have squeezed a fair bit more out of it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
WoW not bad , not bad at all.
Was that on the motorway ? And at what speed?

·
Registered
554 Posts
In my case my C-HR does far better mpg if I avoid M'ways.

So I now tend to use the C-HR for work and the other two for M'way, in the case of my Audi I've managed 970 miles on a tank of diesel which equates to 54pmg, the manufacturers quoted figure is 46, so am exceeding that by around 15%

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I managed approx 640 kms (400 miles), travelling at 130-140 kph (80-85 mph) on 35L of fuel.

My pervious car would have used approx 60 diesel for the same journey, more if I'd been going flat out in Germany!!

Question for MarkyMUK: How big is the Audi tank?

·
Registered
641 Posts
We Le said:
WoW not bad , not bad at all.
Was that on the motorway ? And at what speed?
Not sure if that was aimed at me but over 90% of my driving is in the city on journeys of around 12 miles each.
Only doing about 7k miles a year. I need to find some more excuses to drive it lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
MarkyMUK said:
In my case my C-HR does far better mpg if I avoid M'ways.

So I now tend to use the C-HR for work and the other two for M'way, in the case of my Audi I've managed 970 miles on a tank of diesel which equates to 54pmg, the manufacturers quoted figure is 46, so am exceeding that by around 15%
StadtPanzer said:
So I managed approx 640 kms (400 miles), travelling at 130-140 kph (80-85 mph) on 35L of fuel.

My pervious car would have used approx 60 diesel for the same journey, more if I'd been going flat out in Germany!!

It seems that the CHR hybrid gonna cost just as much, for the journey I do(400km), as my Vw Passat 2.0 tdi.

·
Registered
554 Posts
We Le

It;s possible to achieve 60mpg if carefully driven at M'way speeds but anything over 70/112 mph/kph you'll see this drop away....in my driving experience at least :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We Le,

Yeah so running around 140kph mark in Europe on the motorways is going to cost as much as a newish diesel, which to be honest is fine BUT on country roads and cities the Hybrid is going to be the better car by far plus we are greener and when they ban diesel's in Germany from going into the city centre, we are the ones that will be laughing.

Plus you save on the road tax, only 36 euros a year here :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
StadtPanzer said:
Sorry Stadt I missed your question earlier :)

80l fil 86l including filler neck

I know almost exactly as once ran out of fuel (due to a faulty sender unit) and it took a full 14l to prime the system alone!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts