Toyota C-HR Forum banner

If your chr is the most recent model, are you happy with the fuel consumption you are getting?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2022 C-HR 1.8 L Sol in Atomic Silver
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm driving a new 1.8 L 2022 c-hr Sol spec model which I only got in August. I noticed that my fuel consumption in the beginning was 4.8 l/100 km and then went to 5. (~59 mpg). That was for a mix of city & gentle motorway driving. Now when I reset the fuel consumption button recently its gone up a lot to 6.3l/100 km. (so only getting ~45 mpg). I find that mpg disappointing for this car.
I should say that this is for careful, gentle driving around the city - mainly by myself but a max of 2 passengers, no fast acceleration, speeding or hard braking. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this, or if anyone else is getting a similar mpg return for city driving a new car, or if its very poor fuel consumption for my car? I should also state that I drive it in eco mode all the time. I have used the seat heaters a few times - are they that heavy on fuel?
Thanks.

· Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
534 Posts
22 MY GR Sport 2 litre hybrid currently returning 48.5 mpg average.
Perfectly acceptable for this colder time of year as I know it will be around 53.5 mpg average again once the weather warms up.

Mainly short journeys of 10 miles max & I'm just driving normally ( not trying to hypermile ) & with a,/c climate control on all the time, vehicle left in normal mode as I've never bothered with eco mode.

· Registered
815 Posts
I had a 1.8 for 4 yrs. That averaged just over 56mpg, varying from 64 mpg when doing long runs in the summer to 47mpg for a tank full when doing short runs in the winter. My 2.0 CHR is very similar but about 1.5mpg less.
I am a fairly “gentle” driver and use eco mode all the time too.

· Registered
331 Posts
Hi,
I'm driving a new 1.8 L 2022 c-hr Sol spec model which I only got in August. I noticed that my fuel consumption in the beginning was 4.8 l/100 km and then went to 5. (~59 mpg). That was for a mix of city & gentle motorway driving. Now when I reset the fuel consumption button recently its gone up a lot to 6.3l/100 km. (so only getting ~45 mpg). I find that mpg disappointing for this car.
I should say that this is for careful, gentle driving around the city - mainly by myself but a max of 2 passengers, no fast acceleration, speeding or hard braking. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this, or if anyone else is getting a similar mpg return for city driving a new car, or if its very poor fuel consumption for my car? I should also state that I drive it in eco mode all the time. I have used the seat heaters a few times - are they that heavy on fuel?
Thanks.
Others will say on here winter time less mpg checked ours last refill average 52. Summer is a whole new ball game 63-65mpg longer runs 68mpg weather permitting. It definitely doesn't like rain and isn't aero dynamic so get windy raining day I've gone as low as 44 mpg. I don't hyper mile just get I and drive her 2.0 btw. But still happy with it.

· Registered
492 Posts
Mid 50s in cold weather and mid 60s in warmer. Mix of local and 100+ mile trips
Climate on 99% of time and drive like normal, not hyper-miling. Just leave it in normal, tried Eco once and couldn’t see the point.

Really happy with it so far - 6 months in. If Toyota could sort out the My T disconnecting every couple of weeks I’d be well happy

· Registered
36 Posts
I haven't covered 1000 miles since new yet but currently only achieving 50mpg. Hoping that it improves with running-in. My work-home journey is only 7 miles and mostly village and country roads so I expect that doesn't help. The Hybrid battery is too small in my opinion but I guess bigger adds too much to the cost!

· Registered
23 Posts
I’ve only had my 2.0 CHR a few weeks, but I’m easily getting over 50mpg on a run of over 15 miles and recently managed 64.2mpg without even trying, when doing a 20 mile journey, and with speeds ranging from 30 to 70 mph.

· Registered
2022 C-HR 1.8 L Sol in Atomic Silver
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Others will say on here winter time less mpg checked ours last refill average 52. Summer is a whole new ball game 63-65mpg longer runs 68mpg weather permitting. It definitely doesn't like rain and isn't aero dynamic so get windy raining day I've gone as low as 44 mpg. I don't hyper mile just get I and drive her 2.0 btw. But still happy with it.
Sorry - only saw your post now. Thanks very much for your message.

· Registered
6 Posts
I love the car and I'm not going to quibble over a handful of miles per gallon but my expectation (which is not the fault of Toyota) was that it would be a 60mpg or thereabouts figure. Mixing town and motorway driving and driving sensibly I'm getting, according to the readout, low 50mpg.
This isn't helped by the small tank. In the summer I drove from Newcastle to Milton Keynes and back then worked for a couple of days before filling up the Golf 1.5TSi that I had. The same journey at Christmas had me filling up when I got to Milton Keynes because I had just over 100 miles left in the tank and I didn't want to join the petrol station queues the day after Boxing Day, That's a stark real world difference.
Always keen to add context though, when I started in the motor trade in the 80s 30mpg for town driving using leaded petrol and no catalyst was seen as gold standard so things have moved on.

· Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
534 Posts
The 43 litre fuel tank capacity is slightly annoying - FWIW the low fuel warning light comes on with approximately 100 miles reserve range still left in the tank.

· Registered
492 Posts
Ironically the small tank helps with mpg. If it was larger would be heavier when full so would make it worse...

I don’t do big miles so the normal 375-400 mile range I see when filling up is pretty good and will get me wherever I’m heading . Used to see 350 at best on my previous car which cost twice as much to fill to the brim

· Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
What fuel are you using e10 gives awful mpg so I only use e5 in both my cars ,pay more but go alot further, try it

· Registered
331 Posts
What fuel are you using e10 gives awful mpg so I only use e5 in both my cars ,pay more but go alot further, try it
And I tried it last autumn did two brim to brim E5 but my first was maybe 75% E5 before full tanks. The car was even more refined but my calculations it didn't give me a great deal mpg over the E10. I do same journey most weeks grandkids etc so it was a good yardstick for comparison, I do often top it up on E5 for the engines sake but I'm not yet swayed on the mpg thing. And we might have opened up a small can of worms here watch what comes along. 🤔 Have a good day to all btw.

· Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
534 Posts
Esso Supreme+ 99 E5 is now my fuel of choice, I used to use Tesco Momentum but there idea of a 24 hour filling station must be different to everyone else's.

Shell V Power is my back up choice.

· Registered
331 Posts
Esso Supreme+ 99 E5 is now my fuel of choice, I used to use Tesco Momentum but there idea of a 24 hour filling station must be different to everyone else's.

Shell V Power is my back up choice.
Forkingabout you see much difference in mpg,I only thought it made car even smoother not pushed but mpg was minimal I do put say half tank of E5 say every 5th fill. But my son's new T cross he's starting using higher E5 but the ride in it is bum crunching feels every thing on the road compared to chr. And before he had done 600miles had to have front bearings done and a faulty boot door kept opening on its own scary.

· Registered
23 Posts
I have been told that I should fill up with E5 instead of E10 every now and then, as it’s good for the engine and helps with mpg. Is this true or just someone’s opinion? At present, I’m just using E10 and I also seem to be getting pretty good mpg from my 2.0 CHR, with 55 to 60 mpg being a regular occurrence and figures in the 60 to 70mpg bracket from time to time.

· Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
534 Posts
The engine is designed to run on E10 - the engine computer will also work out which type of unleaded fuel is being used & adjust the engine tuning accordingly.

· Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Well I drove to Cornwall and drove around for a week on a tank full of e5 ,could only get e10 for the journey back and had to fill up as soon as I got home ,got no real numbers of extra miles but probably got an extra 100 miles out of the tank, so the wife fills up with e5 every time now

Reactions: Xan
1 - 20 of 30 Posts