Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here but I've had my C-HR for almost a couple of years - it's a 2018 Hybrid model.

Anyways, I've recently had a crack on my front badge, when I took it Toyota it turns out that is actually the radar sensor unit and is going to cost around £350 to replace. I was a bit shocked as I had thought it was just a badge! The thing is, the sensor works absolutely fine still but it's more just cosmetic damage but it's bugging me.

I was actually trying to figure out if I could pick the unit up separately and replace it myself however, after a lot of Googling/YouTubing I'm finding very little information on where I might be able to purchase this unit other than Toyota and any videos/photos on how one goes about replacing it.

Has anyone here had a similar experience and have you tried replacing it yourself? Looking for more of an amount of effort to money saved ratio more than anything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / advice.

Anthony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anthony,
I can't help you with the fitting, but check out Ebay, you do get the badges and the radar units listed from the vehicles being broken for spares.
Regards
David

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DKP26 said:
Anthony,
I can't help you with the fitting, but check out Ebay, you do get the badges and the radar units listed from the vehicles being broken for spares.
Regards
David
Thanks buddy, that's a good shout. You know what I've been an idiot about is I've been searching for front badge more than radar unit - didn't really think about it till your suggestions. Oof.

After a little look:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Toyota-C-HR-5-Door-SUV-Coupe-Radar-Unit/143396697988?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3AC-HR&hash=item21631bf784:g:5NUAAOSwbEFdjw5r

It's weird that it doesn't seem to actually have the badge included :/ so I'm now wondering if the badge can actually be replaced separately, assuming that's the right part... That wasn't so much a question for your David, ha - just wanted to put it up here in case someone else could chime in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have you tried gently levering the badge off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smartly said:
Have you tried gently levering the badge off?
I haven't yet, no. Was kind of hoping I could get to see some photos/videos of it being done so I know what I'm working with and don't go breaking any clips that may make it worse.

If it comes to it I might try that but I'm a bit reluctant in doing it unless I really get stuck on finding some info beforehand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi just a thought that eBay link you gave says it's r/h rear and states blind spot monitor, me thinks this is the wrong part you are looking for try and get a part no from Toyota before buying from breakers
Stay safe and have a nice day😷

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, looks as though emblem is definitely the key word here. Found the exact part here:

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-emblem-5314147030

Then luckily found one new but with a defective clip, yet still completely fit-able for a quarter of the price on eBay.
Looks like a straight on and off but I'll post a couple photos in case it helps anyone in the future.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Safety Crash Sensor is always seperate from the emblem.. but the emblem can have a mounting chassis for the sensor.
Always take a genuine emblem that is designed for your car. A used one from a scrapper will do fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DutCHR said:
Safety Crash Sensor is always seperate from the emblem.. but the emblem can have a mounting chassis for the sensor.
Always take a genuine emblem that is designed for your car. A used one from a scrapper will do fine.
There seem to be so many sensors around that area it gets a bit ridiculous. I can't seem to find a diagram that shows everything clearly around there.
Looking at the drawing on the link I posted before this of the emblem it labels something as number 6, is that the Safety Crash Sensor you're referring to?

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Word of caution

You may well replace sensor badge with correct spare part but it may need to be calibrated, this is not a d.i.y job as you need a laptop with correct licenced software which I believe is very expensive and technician to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Niggle said:
Word of caution

You may well replace sensor badge with correct spare part but it may need to be calibrated, this is not a d.i.y job as you need a laptop with correct licenced software which I believe is very expensive and technician to do it.
Thanks for the advice, although out of interest what is your source on this information?

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
What a nightmare job changing a badge has turned into reading the workshop diagrams..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts