Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well having spent seconds minutes hours days weeks then three months pondering the purchase of some HIDs, ( I have the excel with annoying yellow halogens :p ) , I actually plumped for an LED after market kit.

TBH I knew very little about them or that they even existed to be fair. However they looked like exactly what I was after and I took the plunge.
I fitted them today and took the car out for a test drive this evening and OMG what a phenomenal difference.

I knew LEDS were better but I really wasn't expecting all that much from the kit. For £50 I am very impressed and to be fair, it takes a lot to impress me these days.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for putting up with my light questions and I am glad I stopped worrying and just DID IT :)

I know this all seems very trivial to most people but for me it was almost like getting my car all over again lol.
I also used the Auto High beam function for the first time tonight and it worked flawlessly. Super impressed.

Dribble smile and general yippee is now over. You may return to whatever you were doing :)

Yippee.

P.S if you want pics/links let me know.

Yippee.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen I believe you would say

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Link and a small video will be on this evening. I can't do a before because I've already swapped them out I'm afraid. I am sure anyone with standard halogens however will tell me exactly what they think from the pics though.

And yes I will post pics or it didn't happen lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Herman said:
LED instead of HIR2?
Herman we are talking Bulbs here not a replacement of the Headlight Unit itself.

Here is the link :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9012-HIR2-LED-Philips-LUXEON-Lumileds-Headlight-Car-Headlamp-Bulb-Light-6500K-ET-/322443696082

I would have preferred 5000K temperature but beggars can't be choosers.

I love the fact that both the heat ballast and the neck of the bulb can be adjusted and moved with an allen key making them adjustable for most cars engine bays.

Really really happy with them. I was half expecting people to be flashing at me last night when I took a test drive but not one car flashed me because of dazzle and I passed a good 50 or 60 cars.

Tbh I am always a bit sceptical of recommending items in case others don't like them or have any problems.

So my disclaimer is.. buy at your own decision and risk :p :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Some questions:
Any problems with CAN bus and how easy was the installation?
How "cold" is the light temperature? If they are bluish , they maybe look better but when its raining or streets are wet you don't see very well.
How hot does the heatsink becomes during operation. I have heard many cases of headlights problems (melting the base where the bulb fits) from excessive heat.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It took me ten minutes to do both sides. No issues with Canbus on the CHR. As I stated its 6500k so it's slightly above the temperature of the dlrs but it wasn't overly blue. The ones you are referring to I think tend to be the 8000k versions which I would never buy.

I will go for a drive tonight and pop the bonnet when I get back and check for heat. I am not aware of leds however producing the same heat intensity that normal bulbs do. Someone correct me if I am wrong with that. As I said I will go for a drive tonight and do a does it burn my finger off test :)

I also stated that if you buy them is at your own risk. I can tell you what I think but that is all I am not endorsing this product in any way just saying I am happy with them so far! :)

**Addition** You are asking the kinds of questions that I have been for the last three months. However I think you can judge a companies product on their aftercare/warranty and amount of help and installation guide provided. These have a 2 year warranty and have answered my direct contacts to them within 24 hours.

ok I am borderline rambling now and will shut up.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ron3005 said:
Merly did you require the lrcd
I bought it just in case but no, I haven't fitted it and have not noticed any flicker or power issues. I was 99% sure that the CANBUS and low power wouldn't be an issue but bought them anyway just in case. (I love wasting money lol)

So no I have two sitting here unused atm :) However when I swap cars I may well need them in the future so I don't see it as a waste.
Bear in mind I have only had one test drive so far. I am doing another one tonight and my Brother is going to come with me and record some of the trip.

Vision wise I am more than happy with the results I can see clearly and very far.
My biggest concern before I rate them a 100% success is that they don't dazzle other drivers but as previously mentioned 60 odd cars passed and no flashes yet :)

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of heat differences between halogens and LEDS?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As promised some pics. Wasn't able to get a video though I am afraid.
Automotive tire Vehicle Rim Machine Auto part

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille Automotive lighting Car

Window Automotive lighting Brick Tints and shades Road surface

So to the question of heat. The heatsinks (second pic) was pretty hot. However I could touch it with bare hands and I had been driving with them on for about 30 minutes. So yes they were hot but if I can touch them with bare skin I don't think that is too bad really. The heatsinks are obviously doing their job and pulling the heat out. In contrast I could not touch the halogen bulb units with bare skin after they had been on same length of time. Far hotter.

So on the way home from my brothers I had an interesting turn of events. I am waiting at some traffic lights and a copper pulls up beside me, rolls down his window (mine already was) and asks " Oh is that that new CHR Toyota?" LOL I nearly died I can tell you. I was convinced that I'd stuffed myself with these new lights. 15 seconds of him saying he really liked it and off he went in front of me and I followed him for a good 6 minutes or so. Super duper made my night :)

Happy days. Comments welcome. No doubt there are some light experts out there that can comment on the light spread.

Cheers all! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
withoutwax said:
ha ha brilliant, I bet you had butterflies when he rolled his window down!!!! :)
I had flipping elephants never mind butterflies :S

What do you think of the pics?
I need some acknowledgment of either they are ok or they are terrible lol. I am needy and living vicariously off this forum atm haha

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
You need to find a dynamic and have light compare :D
Looks good

·
Registered
193 Posts
MerlyWerly said:
Herman said:
LED instead of HIR2?
Herman we are talking Bulbs here not a replacement of the Headlight Unit itself.
Who said about Headlight Unit itself :?: :?:

HIR2 is type of bulb so my question mark was about swaped HIR2 by LED.

And looks YES, base on your next replay. :D
I tested this case in my Auris, so I have got some experiance. But after full evaluation on light tester - final decision was return to HIR2 but with higher colour temperature...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts