Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a C-HR Hybrid on extended test drive this week, any advice to getting the best MPG?

Majority will be motorway, but some will be around M25, so lots of stop-start traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Go very light with your right foot, let the car coast as such to regenerate the battery, on the M25 with start stopping a lot gently accelerate and your will only be using the "free" electric motor most of the time, up to about 35 MPH
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
If you are crawling on the m25 under 30 mph you could always push the EV button behind the hand brake and put it in electric mode
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
ans said:
If you are crawling on the m25 under 30 mph you could always push the EV button behind the hand brake and put it in electric mode
EV mode button in C-HR is meant just for parkings or so (when you don't want to wake all neighborhood), when you're driving really slow and it handles just about a kilometer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Karmalakas said:
ans said:
If you are crawling on the m25 under 30 mph you could always push the EV button behind the hand brake and put it in electric mode
EV mode button in C-HR is meant just for parkings or so (when you don't want to wake all neighborhood), when you're driving really slow and it handles just about a kilometer.
Not sure why you say that. EV mode can be used whenever you like and speed is slow. eg parking, manoevering, in traffic, in 20mph limit, setting off on short road (I live 200 yds from main road) etc. etc.
Alex
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
"For parkings or so" I meant exactly what you're saying :) Parking, maneuvering and maybe really slow traffic, but not for constant 25 - 30 mph speeds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Use Eco-driving mode. Don`t use air condition if you don`t need it. Accelerate quite fast to your target speed and then let go with light foot. Drive windows closed. Leave all extra weight at your garage. Don`t use roof racks if you don`t need these. Adjust tire pressure right or a little bit higher.
I dont use EV-mode often. because most of times the car knows best if it want`s use EV-mode automatically.
This C-HR is my the third hybrid from Toyota and I like it!

Uti
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
you lot have obviously never been on the M25 the biggest car park in the world lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
From the comments in this forum I tested the cruise control better economy theory over the weekend 185 miles of which 178 were Motorway with cruise on at 73 (70 according to my garmin satnav) = 48.9 mpg. Returning the following day I didn't use cruise and achieved over 56mpg. Same temperatures and did both journeys within the same time (5 mins more on return trip)

So for me cruise isn't more economical, by quite some margin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Fully agree. I already have more than 1000 miles on motorway and noticed that the CC keeps the engine running in many situations when not necessary. There is a technique by pushing the accelerator and increase slightly the speed only for a second. The CC remains on and turns off the engine.
Also on some short hills in manual mode you can keep the power within the blue zone slightly reducing the speed, but the engine remains off. In the same situation the CC can even go to power zone.
The only situation I find CC better in MPG is if you are driving in heavy traffic on motorway and to keep distance to the car in front. This keeps you in its slipstream and improves the mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
MarkyMUK said:
From the comments in this forum I tested the cruise control better economy theory over the weekend 185 miles of which 178 were Motorway with cruise on at 73 (70 according to my garmin satnav) = 48.9 mpg. Returning the following day I didn't use cruise and achieved over 56mpg. Same temperatures and did both journeys within the same time (5 mins more on return trip)

So for me cruise isn't more economical, by quite some margin.
Now I know this may sound like a silly question but was one of your journeys uphill and the other downhill as that could influence the mpg? You really need to do the same journey with and without cc.

Some years ago I regularly drove from Lancashire to Hampshire (when the family lived there) and always I got better mpg on the journey down than on the journey back home. I should add that was in the days before I had cc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice, on my 380 mile round trip I averaged 57.8 MPG according to the car.
Majority of which was crusie control.
We had 3 adults and luggage in the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
david63 said:
MarkyMUK said:
From the comments in this forum I tested the cruise control better economy theory over the weekend 185 miles of which 178 were Motorway with cruise on at 73 (70 according to my garmin satnav) = 48.9 mpg. Returning the following day I didn't use cruise and achieved over 56mpg. Same temperatures and did both journeys within the same time (5 mins more on return trip)

So for me cruise isn't more economical, by quite some margin.
Now I know this may sound like a silly question but was one of your journeys uphill and the other downhill as that could influence the mpg? You really need to do the same journey with and without cc.

Some years ago I regularly drove from Lancashire to Hampshire (when the family lived there) and always I got better mpg on the journey down than on the journey back home. I should add that was in the days before I had cc.
David, yes you are correct, as I live by the sea but according to ordnance survey it is 9m above sea level, and the place I traveled to is 12 meters above, but as you know things aren't so linear since it's the places you travel through. That said 3m isn't going to make a difference and since the lanes on M5/M4/M25/M11 are just meters apart it (to my mind at least) wouldn't make a difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Today on my drive to work, due to a road closure my normal 20 min/11 mile drive into work too 90 mins/23 miles through congested rural roads and it still returned 58mpg due to EV cutting in to make things easier :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hello all

05 Useful Driving Tips For New Drivers

1. One the driving test is passed, it will be quite strange to find the passenger seat at the front. It would be better to take someone along for support when driving for the first time. A 'P' plate must be displayed.

2. When one has to drive alone, the roads which are familiar are best to start with. A roadmap should also be kept in case if one gets lost.

3. When one gets the self-confidence, drive like one owns the car but not the road.

4. As one has learned to drive and passed the driving test by sticking to the rules. This habit has to be followed to stay safe. This will also keep other safes on the road.

5. Quick reactions will not only stop one from having an accident. This will give plenty of time to respond to problems ahead.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top