Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I got my 2.0 L GR sport in March and it's been great apart from the really bumpy ride. I feel like I'm trying to drive over a massive canyon every time I come across a tiny speed bump or a dip in the road.

This may be because of the stiffer suspension on the GR sport but it's starting to get really uncomfortable.

Has anyone else had this experience and is there anything I can do to make it better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't got one of these later models but I'm assuming they don't come with adaptive suspension. So I think the only way to soften the ride would be to use a wheel/tyre combination with the highest possible sidewall measurement. 18 inch wheels would be slightly softer ride than 19 inch. Also non runflat tyres are much softer than runflats. What are you running at present?

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
288 Posts
GR Sport suspension is only slightly stiffer ( 10% front & 15% rear ) then the rest of the C-HR range.
I find it more comfortable then expected & more comfortable then my previous 308 T9 hatchback standard suspension.

You have checked / set your tyre pressures to 33 psi? - Normally gets forgotten about at PDI time.

IIIRC these come with Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres in 225 / 45 R19 size.

Reactions: Huey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't got one of these later models but I'm assuming they don't come with adaptive suspension. So I think the only way to soften the ride would be to use a wheel/tyre combination with the highest possible sidewall measurement. 18 inch wheels would be slightly softer ride than 19 inch. Also non runflat tyres are much softer than runflats. What are you running at present?
Thanks for your response! I've got 19inch tyres at the moment - the ones it comes with. Maybe I'll look into the 18 inch ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GR Sport suspension is only slightly stiffer ( 10% front & 15% rear ) then the rest of the C-HR range.
I find it more comfortable then expected & more comfortable then my previous 308 T9 hatchback standard suspension.

You have checked / set your tyre pressures to 33 psi? - Normally gets forgotten about at PDI time.

IIIRC these come with Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres in 225 / 45 R19 size.
Thanks for your suggestion! I haven't checked the tyre pressures - I'll give that a go tomorrow

I'm comparing it to my 20 year old corolla and the ride is much, much stiffer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my 2017 Dynamic was because of how good the ride is.

Mine is on 18 inch alloys with all season tires.

Check tire pressures though as if to high the ride will be compromised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has felt worse recently - so it would make sense that if the tires are overinflated already then the hot weather could be making the pressures even worse.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Coming from a Golf R on 18” wheels I find the GR Sport way better over bumps and potholes.

As others have said maybe tyre pressures are wrong.

Are transit pucks fitted to the CRH suspension? If so did the forget to remove yours at the PDI?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for your response! I've got 19inch tyres at the moment - the ones it comes with. Maybe I'll look into the 18 inch ones.
Could be expensive as will need new wheels as well, plus will look wrong on the GR, and you will have to notify insurance as not standard.
Might affect speedo as dia of tyres may differ slightly too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coming from a Golf R on 18” wheels I find the GR Sport way better over bumps and potholes.

As others have said maybe tyre pressures are wrong.

Are transit pucks fitted to the CRH suspension? If so did the forget to remove yours at the PDI?
Ah, how would I be able to find out if the transit pucks are still fitted? Do I need to take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be expensive as will need new wheels as well, plus will look wrong on the GR, and you will have to notify insurance as not standard.
Might affect speedo as dia of tyres may differ slightly too
Good point. I think I'll try with the tyre pressures first and see how that goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can get 225/50/18 if you are looking for replacement wheels. This size is exactly same diameter than 19" 225/45/19. My wintertires are 18" but I don't notice much difference vs the original 19" on my GR Sport even tough these wintertires are studless Nokian R3 wich may be a little bit softer. But the ride is about same!

·
Registered
2022 Ash Grey 2.0ltr GR Sport
23 Posts
Check the MID it may be in sports mode. I have been driving in normal mode and and the ride is good. Once in sport mode it did feel bumpy but great fun. I tried it in eco mode today and it feels less tight in the steering and ride was softer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Check the MID it may be in sports mode. I have been driving in normal mode and and the ride is good. Once in sport mode it did feel bumpy but great fun. I tried it in eco mode today and it feels less tight in the steering and ride was softer
Thanks - I think it's in normal mode, but doesn't hurt to check!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked my tyre pressures and they were all about 35psi so I got them down to 33psi. Can't say it's helped that much though.

It's more the sideways motion on speed bumps that is getting to me a bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sideways motion on speed bumps? I've got that as well, any lumps and potholes have the back end kicking sideways. The Dealer let me know that 'they all do that sir'. Doesn't feel right to me and at some point I might get a proper wheel alignment done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts