Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a new CHR and need some advice regarding connecting the Nav with my phone via Bluetooth or WiFi (hotspot). Firstly is it worth doing, what is the benefit and which is better, Bluetooth or WiFi and why? Will it use a lot of my data?
Thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I connect the system on the car to my phone (iPhone 6) using the Wi-fi hotspot. This gives access to the installed apps on the nav system although I don't use them. What is useful is the up to date traffic info which shows on the left hand side of the screen with estimated delay times. Haven't noticed a huge difference in data usage and never gone over my limit.
I believe that Bluetooth connects for phone use and music streaming not internet.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
this may help

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you everyone that's really helpful.
If I leave my hotspot on will it automatically connect to the internet each time I turn the engine on?
Will an internet connection (which if I'm understanding correctly will enable Tom Tom traffic updates) give a better and quicker traffic update rather than the standard GPS for updates?

·
Registered
521 Posts
As long as you set it up properly it will connect automatically and will also give you a message on the screen that it has connected. Also there is a little screen that shows visually, the phone signal strength (illuminated bars), if you have a blue tooth connection (Bluetooth symbol) and if you have an internet connection (picture of a globe). These are on the top right when you use the split screen function

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's are no traffic updates through the GPS, I think traffic info is broadcast through FM on the radio and the navigation picks up and uses this. Trouble is the information is often late and/or inaccurate. The internet connection gives you access to TomTom live data which is much better.
My phone connects each time I start the car, shows as a blue bar on the top of my phone screen.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Navigation give you traffic info via FM Radio or internet, you choose in navigation settings, see ans post above

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
i have had one of these in the car woks really well and can be bought for about £40 on ebay
I just use my phone, I was concerned about how much data it would us, but to be honest I hardly use any more data than before and I normally leave it on

·
Registered
38 Posts
If your using an Android just enable Bluetooth tethering that way when your phone connects as normal to the Infotainment system for phone and music it will also connect for data without having to remember to turn anything on when getting in - also useful if you already have a plan that has a good or unlimited data allowance no extra SIM cards needed.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Electronic device Software

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
smudger2468 said:
ans said:
i have had one of these in the car woks really well and can be bought for about £40 on ebay
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/huawei/4g-in-car-wifi
This looks good. Will this fit under the central arm rest in the new CHR? Will I be able to close the armrest lid fully?
yes fits really well in the armrest and as already said the car doesnt use that much data.
i bought one with 12gig of data and a year later only used 2gig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dabar said:
If your using an Android just enable Bluetooth tethering that way when your phone connects as normal to the Infotainment system for phone and music it will also connect for data without having to remember to turn anything on when getting in - also useful if you already have a plan that has a good or unlimited data allowance no extra SIM cards needed.

Screenshot_20180322-235442.jpg
Thanks. I'm using an iphone 7 so assume I will have to leave the hotspot on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ans said:
smudger2468 said:
ans said:
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/huawei/4g-in-car-wifi
This looks good. Will this fit under the central arm rest in the new CHR? Will I be able to close the armrest lid fully?
yes fits really well in the armrest and as already said the car doesnt use that much data.
i bought one with 12gig of data and a year later only used 2gig
Sorry to Labour the point but will i be able to close the armrest lid fully with this installed inside? It look quite big in the pictures! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Yes it's only about 4inches long and 2 of them are pushed into the 12v socket

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm choosing to share the internet over bluetooth.
First time I've turned it on it consumed about 1G. Although you have no visibility if that comes from application updates or that's what TomTom traffic updates is using. I presume is former, cause there were no such large usages after that.
WiFi tethering is using much more power compared to bluetooth, but it provides the same functionalities.
I'm using some sort of ITTF application on my Android phone. It's called Blue Car Tethering and what it does is very simple but extremely useful: when car connects to phone's bluetooth, it activates bluetooth tethering on the phone, so car can&will automatically connect to internet. So I don't have to remember to turn tethering on ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts