Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just purchased a used C-HR 2018 from a Toyota dealer. Pretty happy with it so far, apart from what seems like a Bluetooth incompatibility issue with my phone.

The car is showing software version HE3947 / 6.11.0WH and Map ID 2018 v1. Not sure if that is the latest software / firmware version, but I'm a bit disappointed to see that the map has not been updated since 2018. Now that it is more than 3 years old I believe that no free map updates are available... but I would have expected it to be updated to 2018 + 3 years = 2021 free of charge by the previous owner or by the dealer... or is that not how it works?

Anyway... back to the main issue...

My android (Mi A2 Lite, Android 10 with all updates) phone connects fine with Bluetooth to various other cars, so it is not a clear fault with the phone.

My girlfriend's android phone connects fine with Bluetooth to this C-HR, for both "phone" and "music", so it is not a clear fault with the car.

When I try to connect my phone to this C-HR it eventually connects just as a "music" device. When I try to play some music from the phone the sound glitches briefly every few (15-30?) seconds. It seems like the Bluetooth connection (as shown on my phone) is constantly reconnecting. Despite deleting the pairing on both sides multiple times and trying to pair again, I have never once managed to make my phone connect as a "phone". Trying to do that always results in an "unable to connect" message from the car.

My phone is fully up-to-date, so I wonder if the answer is to somehow update the (Bluetooth) firmware / software on the car? I have seen instructions on how to download this and put it on a USB stick to do the update. But where can I download it from? Most posts say the "my Toyota / eStore" website. I have registered my car there but the only option seems to be "Map Update 6.19.0H" priced at £119. I might decide to pay for a map update somewhere down the line, but at this stage I just want to try a firmware / software update to see if that fixes the Bluetooth issue. I don't think I should have to pay for a firmware update to fix a bug.

The dealer tried to convince me that the car firmware & software was fully up-to-date, but given the 2018 date on the maps, I suspect that might not be true. I did manage to find and download a "HE3953.zip" file online, which is presumambly newer than my current HE3947 version, but I'm reluctant to try installing that in case I somehow make things worse.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I may have to buy a newer phone, but with no guarantee that it will work with the C-HR either.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all. Just purchased a used C-HR 2018 from a Toyota dealer. Pretty happy with it so far, apart from what seems like a Bluetooth incompatibility issue with my phone.

The car is showing software version HE3947 / 6.11.0WH and Map ID 2018 v1. Not sure if that is the latest software / firmware version, but I'm a bit disappointed to see that the map has not been updated since 2018. Now that it is more than 3 years old I believe that no free map updates are available... but I would have expected it to be updated to 2018 + 3 years = 2021 free of charge by the previous owner or by the dealer... or is that not how it works?

Anyway... back to the main issue...

My android (Mi A2 Lite, Android 10 with all updates) phone connects fine with Bluetooth to various other cars, so it is not a clear fault with the phone.

My girlfriend's android phone connects fine with Bluetooth to this C-HR, for both "phone" and "music", so it is not a clear fault with the car.

When I try to connect my phone to this C-HR it eventually connects just as a "music" device. When I try to play some music from the phone the sound glitches briefly every few (15-30?) seconds. It seems like the Bluetooth connection (as shown on my phone) is constantly reconnecting. Despite deleting the pairing on both sides multiple times and trying to pair again, I have never once managed to make my phone connect as a "phone". Trying to do that always results in an "unable to connect" message from the car.

My phone is fully up-to-date, so I wonder if the answer is to somehow update the (Bluetooth) firmware / software on the car? I have seen instructions on how to download this and put it on a USB stick to do the update. But where can I download it from? Most posts say the "my Toyota / eStore" website. I have registered my car there but the only option seems to be "Map Update 6.19.0H" priced at £119. I might decide to pay for a map update somewhere down the line, but at this stage I just want to try a firmware / software update to see if that fixes the Bluetooth issue. I don't think I should have to pay for a firmware update to fix a bug.

The dealer tried to convince me that the car firmware & software was fully up-to-date, but given the 2018 date on the maps, I suspect that might not be true. I did manage to find and download a "HE3953.zip" file online, which is presumambly newer than my current HE3947 version, but I'm reluctant to try installing that in case I somehow make things worse.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I may have to buy a newer phone, but with no guarantee that it will work with the C-HR either.

Thanks in advance...

Try this, it worked for mine after a 2 attempts. My phone would not connect for music at all. After this and factory reset it did.

I discovered Bluetooth didn’t work about 3 months after the car. But again not paying £120 for a software fix.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Toyota issue 2 update to map/software per year spring and Autumn, The latest map/software update is 6.19.0 which is Spring 2022. You are right the first 3 years update are free

·
Registered
1 Posts

Try this, it worked for mine after a 2 attempts. My phone would not connect for music at all. After this and factory reset it did.

I discovered Bluetooth didn’t work about 3 months after the car. But again not paying £120 for a software fix.
Thanks very much for sharing this solution - which worked perfectly for me. I too was advised that I should update the multimedia by spending £119 on a new map.
I've made a formal complaint.
Toyota (and other dealers) should do a complete factory reset to delete all of the previous owner's system details from the multimedia whenever they resell a car which would save new owners having this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts