Toyota C-HR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
I’ve had this problem too with my late 2020 model, started during lockdown, but has recurred since getting back to normal driving (normal for me being one or two shortish trips per week and the occasional longer journey when going on holiday).

The thing is that I don’t understand what’s going on as I can leave the car in the garage either locked or not and it will boot up even after a week or so, but when on holiday the car usually sits in the hotel car park and then after three days the battery is flat, even after being on the road for ~4 hours getting there!

I’ve had the battery checked by the dealer, they claim it’s ok. I’ve checked the voltage each day for parasitic drain while in the garage and it drops by a fraction of a volt over time, but remains well above 12v. The car obviously dislikes being away from home!

I am now resigned to this being part of driving my C-HR as I never experienced this with any of my previous Hybrid models (Auris). I keep my power pack handy at all times and have become quite adept at connecting it up without drawing too much attention to my embarrassment of having to jump start my much admired, but flawed Toyota.

· Registered
492 Posts
I’ve had this problem too with my late 2020 model, started during lockdown, but has recurred since getting back to normal driving (normal for me being one or two shortish trips per week and the occasional longer journey when going on holiday).

The thing is that I don’t understand what’s going on as I can leave the car in the garage either locked or not and it will boot up even after a week or so, but when on holiday the car usually sits in the hotel car park and then after three days the battery is flat, even after being on the road for ~4 hours getting there!

I’ve had the battery checked by the dealer, they claim it’s ok. I’ve checked the voltage each day for parasitic drain while in the garage and it drops by a fraction of a volt over time, but remains well above 12v. The car obviously dislikes being away from home!

I am now resigned to this being part of driving my C-HR as I never experienced this with any of my previous Hybrid models (Auris). I keep my power pack handy at all times and have become quite adept at connecting it up without drawing too much attention to my embarrassment of having to jump start my much admired, but flawed Toyota.
When at the long stay do you park it or are the car park team moving it around a lot?

· Registered
557 Posts
Had my 1.8 hybrid for over 5 years, no battery issues, left the car for multiple times from 28 days to 7 days, at various carparks never had a problem restarting when I got back to the car

· Registered
8 Posts
“when on holiday the car usually sits in the hotel car park and then after three days the battery is flat,” ?????
Sorry, senior moment! No the car doesn't get moved when parked. However, we go into the boot each day for walking kit etc., so I wonder if the luggage compartment light could be draining the battery even although it's only on for a few minutes each time ?

· Registered
398 Posts
May scanning for the key be the answer?
Presumably when it seats on your garage, you don't unlock it every day at least 2 times. So eventually car stops scanning for the key.
But you unlock it for the boots, unlock it one more time to put the boots back. And that keeps the scanning on.
Or do you have an always on camera that sees car and people on the parking and records the movements?

· Registered
8 Posts
Interesting, I didn't realise that the car continually scans for the key. Normally when in the garage the car is unlocked, does it still scan when unlocked? Can the scan duration be changed or would that have unintended consequences? I don't have an always on camera, my dash-cam is connected to the USB socket.

· Registered
492 Posts
Sorry, senior moment! No the car doesn't get moved when parked. However, we go into the boot each day for walking kit etc., so I wonder if the luggage compartment light could be draining the battery even although it's only on for a few minutes each time ?
Shouldn’t do, after a few minutes it should stop scanning for key and wait for proximity of key to initiate scan

Pretty small draw from boot light, so that shouldn’t be the issue either

· Registered
8 Posts
Ok, thanks for your comments, I'll continue to monitor and see how it goes. I'm thinking about changing the car next year, not because of this issue, but the contortions I need to go through getting in and out of the car when it's in the garage are doing nothing for my bad back! ;)

· Registered
492 Posts
Ok, thanks for your comments, I'll continue to monitor and see how it goes. I'm thinking about changing the car next year, not because of this issue, but the contortions I need to go through getting in and out of the car when it's in the garage are doing nothing for my bad back! ;)
Unless you have a very small car or a double garage....

Most modern cars have grown. Had a blast in a mates mk1 Golf GTi recently, seemed way smaller than the current polo

· Registered
815 Posts
I read here scanning time can be changed by Toyota.
It's not an option you'll find in any menu.
But you can turn it off altogether in the menus. If you do that scanning stops and you have to open the doors with the key fob buttons and you have to put the key over the start button to start the car.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
first time I have posted here so I'm a virgin (be nice)
Right I have a 2019 May CH-R Hybrid 1.8 Lovely car, we haven't been out in it much since lockdown on and off , There fore since March on this year we have travelled a total of around 600 miles including the service (22miles away each way) . Of course in this time we never thought that a car of this age would have any issues.
I went to start it this morning on the drive, got in foot on the brake, pressed the start button , flickering lights and clicks then nothing !!!. Main Battery under then bonnet completely flat, Contacted Green Flag through APP, track and trace for the mechanic , phone call to say he'd be a bit late. within 1 hr he's here with jumper pack I start the car , and sit in it for about an hour to charge it, then out later for a good blast.
He said its amazing with these hybrid cars how NAFF the main battery is , and they need at least once a week out for a long run .
Basically I am warning others of this travesty of NAFF Batteries and make sure you go out in your cars.
You would think that to make a car better you would have a decent battery up front.
I use and sell and do RC cars and models, we use Lipo batteries (lithium Polymer ) these can be left for long periods with dramatic power loss . So why are we still in the dark ages with Car batteries , cant we spend a bit more and get Gel batteries.
Any way thats me
Mike Darragh Howden East Yorkshire
Dead right the battery thats fitted is as good as a chocolate tea pot Toyota need to recall and sort out a better battery.

· Registered
147 Posts
Not all cars have a problem, my low mileage 2017 hybrid (25k) has zero issues when left for 10+ days and it still has the original battery.

I strongly suspect there was a dodgy batch of batteries as cars that have had quality replacement batteries fitted seem to be ok afterwards. There will always be exceptions where cars do exceptionally low miles. My wife’s car does around 1500 miles a year and so needs a charge every now and again to keep battery topped up.

Car batteries are a consumable item and can need replacing after only 3 years in some cases. My previous car was a 2009 diesel CRV doing 14k a year and that needed a new battery every 3 years! Whereas my sons 10 year old Corsa has only just had its original battery replaced and that car has only done 46k.

· Registered
3 Posts
Get yourself a small starter battery to keep in car boost flat battery, Noco 1000A GB40 Jump starter its great. them make sure you have car running if you listening to radio and setting everything up I had same thing, ut enjoy the car!
Do you need to connect this to the positive and negative of the battery as when I called the rac he put negative black cable in another connector

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.
Just to add to the tales of battery woes.
Our 69 plate 1.8 is used daily - not always on long trips - but usually at least twice a day on trips over 8 miles each way.
Yesterday morning I went to start it and - nothing. Dash completely dead (although doors opened and mirrors swung out on entry).
Popped the bonnet and put my multi meter across the terminals - 6.4 volts.
Hooked it up to my van battery and within minutes it came back to life, engine started, full complement of dash lights etc.
Disconnected the jump leads and left it running for a few minutes - multi meter now showing 14+ volts. When it settled down to 12.4 volts, I turned it off but left the multi meter attached to the battery terminals. To my surprise, it registered a voltage loss of 0.1 amp every 5 seconds (approx - I didn't actually time it). It continued to lose voltage until it reached 6.5 volts, then it stabilised. I went in the house to order a new, replacement battery and when I returned to the car the multi meter was indicating 6.4 volts. Again.
Jumped it off again so I could go and collect the new battery and, after fitting it, put the old battery in the garage. I checked the voltage and it was 12.4 volts (it had just had an 8 mile run).
Car used twice today and no problems (apart from having a motive power display on the home page where it used to show mpg - anyone know how to change it)?
Just been into the garage and checked the old battery's voltage and it is........................12.4 volts!
Maybe it's because it isn't hooked up to anything?
Weird.

· Registered
147 Posts
I bet your car will be fine now you have a new battery.

Some cars kill batteries quicker than others. My sons 12 Corsa has only just had battery’s replaced where as my previous Honda diesel CRV used to need a new one every 3 years!

My 2017 has original battery and is a low mileage car with only 26k and it is ok when left for 9 days (done this twice). I think there are some dodgy batteries out there.

· Registered
730 Posts
Maybe it's because it isn't hooked up to anything?
Yes because there is no load on the battery. If you connect a small 5W bulb and measure again it could drain fast again.
The 12.4v tells that the cells are OK. Your garage can charge it and do a perform test.

Some cars kill batteries quicker than others.
My 1989 VW Golf have a Bosch battery i got used 10 years ago so it is about 13 years old.
Cold weather, snow and sometimes few weeks no use but it always starts. My classic Corolla in a garage is always on trickle charger and battery was done after 3 years and about 200miles total.

You never know when the battery is dead. All we know for sure is that a Toyota hybrid consumes a 12v battery once in a while. A jump start pack should be standard with the car.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts