Toyota C-HR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Excel, Hybrid 2018, Metalstream.
479 Posts
Mine is 3 years old now. I've only had it 1 of those, but I've left it on my drive for 7 days in snow and rain: it never fails me. Started first time - every time.
I honestly think it's either the 2 day setting that's helped or fact I've just been lucky with the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My C-HR is now 33 months old and no problems at all, till last week. I had driven the car out of my garage to gave it a good power wash to get all the road salt off. Two hours later when trying to move the car, all the warning lights and headlamps started flashing and contactors clicking. Thought I had caused some damage when power washing the car. Anyway got the RAC out and lo a flat battery! Jump started no trouble. Following day took it to the dealer who wanted to keep the vehicle overnight, fair enough. They tested the battery and found it to be OK but did a deep charge. Dealer said that short journeys were insufficient to keep the 12V battery charged. During this covid crises I have only been doing short journeys. I will now use my battery trickle charger on a weekly basis during the winter and am presently looking to buy a small jump starter to keep in the car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I carry the noco gb40 under my front seat just in case. Not used it yet though. I charged it up every few month's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After my battery went flat Colchester dealership told me to "take it for a run around the block every couple of days" unbelievable that in 2021 Toyota have vehicles with such appalling batteries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Just joined forum - be gentle, I noticed others have had the same issue with battery life, I have now experienced this twice during this lockdown. The first time I called breakdown and they got me back on the road, I have just had the same issue and it is only 6 days since I last drove it, (I might add it is a lovely car to drive), anyway breakdown are on there way and I am talking to the dealer for a battery test, Thanks for the information on the forum as I was v concerned that a car less than 2 years old would be experiencing battery problems already. Worthy of note the dealer said that they should be started at least once every 3-3 days which seems a little excessive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get yourself a small starter battery to keep in car boost flat battery, Noco 1000A GB40 Jump starter its great. them make sure you have car running if you listening to radio and setting everything up I had same thing, ut enjoy the car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't believe what I'm reading, my new CHR 1.8 purchased on 1st September 2020 during lockdown has the same problem. because of lockdown I have only done 570miles in it. What happened was I had not used the car for 3 weeks, I went to start it ( the doors worked fine) and the dash board made all kinds of clicks and flashing lights etc......I knew I had a flat battery. So I the Toyota recovery number (you get 1 year free) and the AA turned up in half an hour, so that was good.

He jump started it done a couple of checks and said it's now charging. He also told me that the Hybrid battery will charge the standard battery if the engine switches off. Ok, so I'm happy now but I noticed the parking sensors were saying " unavailable" in the dashboard .......so I went into set up and checked and yes they are indicated as ON. :shock: ( little green indicator light).

Now I was a keen motorcyclist for many years and new all about trickle charging batteries when my bike were of the road for the winter etc.
Before owning a Toyota I always had Audi cars and decided last year to give up the unnecessary expense and running costs of these cars. Also I wanted to do my bit ( well little bit) towards more eco driving.

So now I'm left with no parking sensors until I get it sorted.......any ideas anyone......seems like disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds may help but then I'll probably lose all my personal settings in the car I bet!!!! :evil: .....

We should be told at the front of the drivers manual so you see it straight away that "This car will not start if you leave it unattended for 3 weeks!!!" :x

Do we all have to get an Optemate trickle battery conditioner and plug it in every night ( like they have on the cars in shows rooms??? if you gonna leave the car for a few weeks????...
THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TOYOTA!!!!. you have all the great tech in your cars please stick a decent battery in your cars and make sure if someone has to jump start their car they don't get a whole bunch of faults to deal with afterwards!!!! :idea:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following on from my post yesterday, I went out in my car and after about ten minutes the parking sensors re-set whilst driving. I didn't touch anything, they just started on there're own.....weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just put my 2019 CHR in for second service with 9009 miles on clock and asked dealer to check battery as had to jump start it a few times
Dealer reported back a cell was dead in battery and needed changing at £125 a battery and if Toyota agreed to do a good will gesture they would reimburse me ( Not a happy chappy) I refused on the grounds of I could buy a Bosch battery cheaper with a 5 year warranty where as I'm relying on good will gesture on a 2 year battery
Hi ho Toyota came back and changed battery free of charge 😊Now a happy chappy this should not have happened in the first place
Just making you all aware

·
Registered
14 Posts
2020 Orange edition 2.0 ltr. 7000 miles.

Sat parked with just radio info 40 minutes.

Car dead. Had to call breakdown company to jumpstart me.

How can this be right?????

Likely to happen again???

Lost confidence in car now.

Comments please guys.....

·
Registered
2021 1.8 Hybrid
33 Posts
Was the car in accessory mode only or was it fully turned on? If fully on, were you in park or maybe in neutral? Those would be my first 2 guesses. The car must be fully turned on and must not be in neutral to be able to charge the battery. (Talking about the hybrid here.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Have a 2019 CHR with no battery issues until 6 months ago. Battery drained and had to recharge twice in 3 weeks. Then I found that during some messing with settings, I had set my Dashcam to pick up car movement when stationary. The unit was using the battery and draining it rapidly. Changed the setting back and battery was fine. Does not take much to drain so worth checking if any accessory could be the cause which explains why some have issues and others don't.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah it's surprising how fast accessories drain car batteries.

The lead acid batteries in cars aren't like the Li-Ion ones in your phone. Li-ion batteries are good for low power deep cycle (ie charging up to 100% and down to 0%). Lead acid can't deep cycle but they do give a hell of a lot of current over a short time.
Li-ion are like marathon runners and Lead acid are like sumo wrestlers. Powerful but lacking in stamina.

So basically your car battery is great at cranking your heavy engine for a few seconds, but powering a little dashcam for a few hours will drain them.
I once left my aftermarket radio on my old car on standby overnight. It was basically just a LCD clock but it drained the battery in a matter of hours.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Got hit with this problem today. Yesterday was the first day of non use in weeks. This morning hybrid system stopped flagged on dash, then with collision avoidance disabled warnings. Checked battery, 9.5 volt , hydrometer test , 2 poor cells. Toyota assistance (AA) attended, confirmed battery failed. Wanted to take me to dealer who would 24 hour charge and test, decided it would be more trouble than its worth, so went to Halfords and got a Yuasa with 5 year warranty and slightly larger capacity than the Toyota battery. Car is 3 years old at month end, 1st problen I've had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2018 (not yet 3 years old under 34,000 miles) CH-R Excel suffered the same battery problem yesterday. We drive it on a regular basis and had been on a 40 min drive but in the rain and it was dark -so headlights on. Stopped for 15 mins (left headlight lights on - by mistake) went to start - car informed me it would not start as braking system had failed. Called Toyota Roadside Assistance, (AA) arrived 30 mins later and mechanic happened to have worked for local Toyota dealership, instantly advised me before opening the bonnet it might be a flat battery! Jump started it, everything working fine, battery test showed only 7v 250 amps needs 360 failed test. Called local Toyota dealership and taking it in tomorrow for overnight stay and morning cold start test - expect new battery to be fitted.

Can't believe so many folk have battery issues - needs a recall, AA mechanic even said battery was too small!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Be prepared for Toyota to charge for new battery if so argue your 5 year warranty and batteries are not fit for purpose
They said to me they would change as a good will gesture after I challenged them and fitted £125 battery for free 🤔

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2 year old just got back from the dealer, my battery first went flat in June and now goes flat in less than 3 days despite trickle charging one a week, usual guff from dealer, we have tested the battery and it tests ok so we can't replace it under warranty but as you don't drive the car enough we will sell you a new one at cost price that might last 2 years. ...

Advice direct from Toyota
__
The simplest way to maintain charge in both of these batteries is to simply go through the normal start procedure: press the 'Start' button with your foot on the brake and ensure the 'Ready' light is illuminated on the dashboard (you don't have to keep your foot on the brake thereafter, but ensure your vehicle's transmission is in 'Park' and the parking brake is engaged).

We recommend you put the car in 'Ready' mode for about 60 minutes before switching it off again and repeat the process at least once a week, providing you can carry out this procedure while adhering to the government's advice regarding social distancing and Coronavirus (Covid-19). Please do not leave your car unattended when it is in 'Ready' mode.
____
Silly me I bought a hybrid under the stupid idea of getting better mileage, not so that I could sit in a stationary car polluting my neighbours front gardens, or driving pointlessly around just to charge the Battery.

He also suggested a solar charger but that won't work unless I hook it up to the battery or pay to have the 12volt socket rewired so it is not controlled by ignition, so I have to open the bonnet and disconnect it every time I want to drive the car? What's next a starting handle?

For Sale nice white C-HR 25 months old, 9,500 miles, full service history, would suit long distance commuter available as soon as Honda get the HR-V shipped.
Hi All - I bought a 2019 plate 2.0 in Aug 2021 (21k mileage). I should have seen the red flags when I wanted to test drive a few models - each model needed jump starting! I too had to call AA to jump start me only a few weeks after purchasing it. He told me he sees countless CHRs with same battery issues and they had to be driven regularly for relatively long journeys. He also suggested leaving it running in Ready mode for 45mins at least once a week. He tested the battery which seemed fine and so told me to not waste my time taking it back to dealership to change it as they simply would not replace it (still under warranty).

I wish I had never bought it now as I do not drive regularly (only once a week) and the 10v solar charger has not helped as for the 2nd time the battery was flat having left it for 6 days undriven. Have now had to buy a CTEK 5 amp trickle charger in hope it will help. I will also ask them to change key fob from 5 days to 1-2 days.

Toyota really need to sort this issue out pronto given how many of us are suffering wuth the same battery issue. They also need to ensure customers are warned that hybrid models are not for those who do not drive regularly!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My car is 4 years old with only 16k on the clock. I bought it 5 weeks ago and it looks to have original battery fitted. Last year it only did 3600 miles, so it would appear it was not a car used very much.

I tested positive for Covid and had to go into isolation and so car was just sat on the drive for over a week.

Yesterday I was finally free to go out and so went to start the car & all was good!

My point is it’s obviously not a fault that effects all C-HRs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
first time I have posted here so I'm a virgin (be nice)
Right I have a 2019 May CH-R Hybrid 1.8 Lovely car, we haven't been out in it much since lockdown on and off , There fore since March on this year we have travelled a total of around 600 miles including the service (22miles away each way) . Of course in this time we never thought that a car of this age would have any issues.
I went to start it this morning on the drive, got in foot on the brake, pressed the start button , flickering lights and clicks then nothing !!!. Main Battery under then bonnet completely flat, Contacted Green Flag through APP, track and trace for the mechanic , phone call to say he'd be a bit late. within 1 hr he's here with jumper pack I start the car , and sit in it for about an hour to charge it, then out later for a good blast.
He said its amazing with these hybrid cars how NAFF the main battery is , and they need at least once a week out for a long run .
Basically I am warning others of this travesty of NAFF Batteries and make sure you go out in your cars.
You would think that to make a car better you would have a decent battery up front.
I use and sell and do RC cars and models, we use Lipo batteries (lithium Polymer ) these can be left for long periods with dramatic power loss . So why are we still in the dark ages with Car batteries , cant we spend a bit more and get Gel batteries.
Any way thats me
Mike Darragh Howden East Yorkshire
We've had the same problem today 71plates so we've had ot 6months

·
Registered
267 Posts
Numerous reasons why batteries fail.

Many short trips, not used regularly, external power drain (electric tyre inflation), just knackered..

If not using regularly get a decent trickle charger - I’ve used these for years on my bikes which regularly stand for weeks and always fire up first time.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts