Toyota C-HR Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just bought a C-HR design but now i have to be away for 3 months and i will be storing the car on my front drive. I would be grateful for any advice on storage so that when i come back i wont have a problem with either battery
Cheers

·
Registered
348 Posts
12v battery will not go through 3 months. You should disconnect it. But insurance may complain if the car is not in a secure space with battery disconnected and alarm off. So a garage would be the best place to store it. Breaks will also suffer, disks will rust. Tires will suffer too.
Electric battery will not care.
I would ask Toyota for specific guidance for long term storage. They may have good insight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the advice but i live in London and a garage would be the price of a small house so its a no go. I do have a frontage to my house where i can store the car and I've been wondering if one of those trickle chargers, the ones supposedly designed to keep your battery topped up are any good. any thoughts?
cheers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Could you connect it to it charger and get somebody to switch the charger on once a month for a number of hours ? i.e. leave the car locked

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use an Optimate trickle charger for the motorbike which works well as long as you have access to mains power. If not you could use a solar panel to keep it topped up, it shouldn't need much.
Colin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear all
thanks for your advice. I will most likely go down the trickle charger route i,ve seen some on amazon that look to fit the bill but will check with Toyota when i pick up the car.

once again thanks

Denp

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts
ctek charger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi i have the orange edition 2.0 184bhp.

I want to add my ctek. A) can I? B) there is a battery in the boot - is that my connection point? Can't find one up front so assuming its the starter battery. thx

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep, you connect to the battery in the boot. I've got a Ctek with a quick connection lead, so leave that permanently connected and just poking by the boot liner. Then connect it up once a month as I am very low mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have also been suffering from the dreaded CHR battery issue. I hope you do not mind me asking a few questions for some advice?

1. If I buy the Carista dongle, is it easy to change the Key Search setting to a lower setting than 5 days? Is the lowest setting 2 days or could I change it to 1 day perhaps?

2. My battery needs replaced as even once recharged and left overnight with no cables attached, it goes from 12.69v to 12.4v. I see the Bosch S4 002 52aH is recommended on this thread. Is it safe to assume the CHR can charge a higher capacity battery? I only ask as one review of this battery said not all cars can provide the additional voltage it needs, but not seen that mentioned anywhere else.

3. Uk car so is it possible to disable the car alarm? Just trying to work out if the drain is caused by alarm or key search?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I may be a bit late in the conversation on trickle chargers.
I too heve had battery problems. An article in the Toyota UK magazine 'Will my toyota hybrid be okay if I don't drive it?' suggests the use of solar trickle chargers which I am interested in. I cannot get my dealer to recommend one so I am a bit stuck as the 12V socket is not live when the car is not started and I do not want to have exterior wires when charging the car left for weeks in , say, an airport car park.
Any ideas or successful implementations,

·
Registered
236 Posts
A solar charger wouldn't need connection to your 12v socket, it would click via a fuse to the battery I assume

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would love the idea of a solar charger.
But there's no way to install such and an voltage converter and cables.
Even if there would be such option...a jump start battery costs 70-100€! I can't see that price league for solar anything in my lifetime!

How many times I'll let the car in parking lot for 10+ days? A 70€ jump start battery is the only feasible option today.
Ideally we should never had such problems, but we have it...

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would love the idea of a solar charger.
But there's no way to install such and an voltage converter and cables.
Even if there would be such option...a jump start battery costs 70-100€! I can't see that price league for solar anything in my lifetime!

How many times I'll let the car in parking lot for 10+ days? A 70€ jump start battery is the only feasible option today.
Ideally we should never had such problems, but we have it...
I think the difference is that a trickle charger prevents the battery getting discharged and damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Lexus CT for 9 years and was on original battery when I sold it. Didn't have keyless entry, but had alarm system and keyless start. My C-HR (2018) to-date has started every time. Only use it once per week.
I have, as mentioned previously, reduced key search time from standard 5 days, down to 2 days. Think this may help.
How do you reduce the key search time please?

81 - 98 of 98 Posts