Toyota C-HR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I keep saying this - the car looks for a key signal constantly. This setting can be adjusted via Carista or by dealer. Default is 5 days, mine is now 2 days with no battery issues.

Not saying this is the definitive answer, but why would you have your car sitting using battery power for 5 days?

The 12v battery also only powers ECU's, so any drain would be from those components - I would have thought. All functions use hybrid battery for power.

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
adn1962 said:
I keep saying this - the car looks for a key signal constantly. This setting can be adjusted via Carista or by dealer. Default is 5 days, mine is now 2 days with no battery issues.

Not saying this is the definitive answer, but why would you have your car sitting using battery power for 5 days?

The 12v battery also only powers ECU's, so any drain would be from those components - I would have thought. All functions use hybrid battery for power.
Yes, mine is set to 3 days, IIRC.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, probably all complaining of the flat battery after a few days, have alarm system.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I mine has an alarm system and haven't experienced the flat battery issue yet. 🤞
I also keep my fob in a faraday pouch when car not in use. Not sure if the 2 days setting plus this is helping ensure against drain??

·
Registered
755 Posts
adn1962 said:
I mine has an alarm system and haven't experienced the flat battery issue yet. 🤞
I also keep my fob in a faraday pouch when car not in use. Not sure if the 2 days setting plus this is helping ensure against drain??
The pouch will make no difference as the car is still listening for it, no matter where it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

+1 for the battery issue.

Does anyone have the best phone number / email address to contact Toyota UK about this issue to get a replacement?

Wife is fuming seeing as we're spending £300 a month on something that's under 2 years old and can't go anywhere. I wish I still had my 10 year old Rav XT3, never let me down.

Faith in Toyota has taken a hit with this :(

·
Registered
441 Posts
Alexr said:
adn1962 said:
The pouch will make no difference as the car is still listening for it, no matter where it is.
But not after 2 days of inactivity.....

·
Registered
755 Posts
adn1962 said:
Alexr said:
adn1962 said:
To out on my pedants hat - after 2 days if the car stops searching for the key, then putting the key in a pouch still makes no difference (to the car's 12v battery drainage).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Alexr said:
adn1962 said:
Alexr said:
To out on my pedants hat - after 2 days if the car stops searching for the key, then putting the key in a pouch still makes no difference (to the car's 12v battery drainage).
Fob is on or off, the 2 days relates to vehicle setting! 😉

·
Registered
755 Posts
adn1962 said:
Alexr said:
adn1962 said:
Fob is on or off, the 2 days relates to vehicle setting! 😉
That's what I said.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well the car is booked in for a service next week and they're going to test the battery after leaving it overnight. Feels like a fobbing off to me but we'll see, car's got to start to get there first.

Guy hadn't heard of reprogramming the key searching, so no idea if they'll do anything with that as yet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
RatInstinct said:
Well the car is booked in for a service next week and they're going to test the battery after leaving it overnight. Feels like a fobbing off to me but we'll see, car's got to start to get there first.

Guy hadn't heard of reprogramming the key searching, so no idea if they'll do anything with that as yet.
You can do the settings for key searching yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alexr said:
RatInstinct said:

Ahh cool! I figured from this thread it was a dealer thing. Couldn't see anything in the manual about that, guessing it's on the standard dashboard settings menu?

·
Registered
755 Posts
RatInstinct said:
Alexr said:
RatInstinct said:

Ahh cool! I figured from this thread it was a dealer thing. Couldn't see anything in the manual about that, guessing it's on the standard dashboard settings menu?
Getting cold feet now. On my 2017 model you can swiitch smart entry on and off in dashboard settings (and I did that in first lockdown), but I can't see in manual about setting 2 days or 5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can turn off the car looking for the keys from the key itself. Whilst holding top button press bottom button and red light should flash 4 times

·
Registered
755 Posts
mdwood45 said:
You can turn off the car looking for the keys from the key itself. Whilst holding top button press bottom button and red light should flash 4 times
No, that does not stop the car looking for the keys. It stops one key from responding to the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah I didn't get anywhere with the dealer on either the battery swap or key search setting.

Net result is basically don't leave the car stood again for 3+ weeks, but hoping the "warmer" weather will help as well (maybe)

Cheers
Jase

·
Registered
441 Posts
Buy a Carista dongle and set it all yourself. Costs £30 a year plus cost of dongle ( no more than £60 ).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just had the flat battery issue on my just over a year old 2 litre, I've just not been using it enough for longer runs. Called out the AA who were prompt and started it immediately, apparently most of their call outs are to do with flat batteries at the moment. Showed me where to connect a jump pack in the fuse box, rather than in the boot. I've ordered myself a jump pack as recommended by Deleted User 175 6pm the first page of this thread, a NOCO Boost Sport GB20, this will also be useful when I go out on the motorbike again just in case.

·
Registered
402 Posts
ColinB said:
Just had the flat battery issue on my just over a year old 2 litre, I've just not been using it enough for longer runs. Called out the AA who were prompt and started it immediately, apparently most of their call outs are to do with flat batteries at the moment. Showed me where to connect a jump pack in the fuse box, rather than in the boot. I've ordered myself a jump pack as recommended by Deleted User 175 6pm the first page of this thread, a NOCO Boost Sport GB20, this will also be useful when I go out on the motorbike again just in case.
I got the gb40 under my seat just in case. But since having battery changed under warranty nearly 3yrs ago. Not had an issue. Happened twice and car had only been left unused for 2 to 3 day's. Car has been left for upto 2 weeks and has started 1st push of button. Also was left on drive in November for 9 day's while I was in hospital. Started straight away. So maybe get battery changed. When I took mine in they kept it overnight to see if anything was draining battery as had dash camera installed. But nothing showed up. But they changed the battery anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had similar issues with my 4 year old CHR Excel Hybrid. Was taking it out for a weekly run during COVID but the battery was still draining. to flat. Read somewhere that the key and the car communicated 24/7 and this depletes battery. Stored keys in a pouch made of baking foil and it appears to have worked. During recent cold weather the car started. It's just been parked for 8 days and it started 10 minutes ago first time. Hope it's a permanent if low tech fix. I'll let you know.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts