Toyota C-HR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Again.. you are right. If the 12v battery is flat.. a jump starter that gets the electronics up and running will be enough.
Any charged (old) 12v battery with jump cables will do also the job.

Dont start on a connected battery charger. Better charge the battery first.. and disconnect before push the start button.

·
Registered
755 Posts
kenjolly said:
Hi - quick question. Like a lot of people, my battery has also died. Unfortunately my car is in our garage. In order for me to jump start it, is there a way to disable the parking brake so I can push it out of the garage so I can access the battery and attach jump leads? might be an obvious question so apologies if it is.

Tried googling it but doesn't seem to be anything about disabling it when you have no power.

any help appreciated. Thanks,

Ken
Not sure if it will solve your problem, but you can move the gear stick out of "P" by levering off the little cover near the base of the gear lever and pressing the button underneath to release the shift lock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the car of my wife's niece on our driveway throughout lockdown as she travelled abroad (2017 Dynamic with Premium Pack). 12v battery now dead and needs replacing. I ordered a Yuasa YBX5012 online a week ago but have just been told that it is out of stock with the manufacturers. So now trying to find a reasonably priced alternative (so not a Toyota one!).

Please can anybody who had a replacement fitted say what make and model has been used. I have been through this thread and others and I can't find this information. Also it is not clear always clear from battery manufacturer's own websites what is appropriate for the car. The Bosh website for example seems to cater for US cars and seemingly the C-HR 1.8 is not available there. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fady said:
I have had the car of my wife's niece on our driveway throughout lockdown as she travelled abroad (2017 Dynamic with Premium Pack). 12v battery now dead and needs replacing. I ordered a Yuasa YBX5012 online a week ago but have just been told that it is out of stock with the manufacturers. So now trying to find a reasonably priced alternative (so not a Toyota one!).

Please can anybody who had a replacement fitted say what make and model has been used. I have been through this thread and others and I can't find this information. Also it is not clear always clear from battery manufacturer's own websites what is appropriate for the car. The Bosh website for example seems to cater for US cars and seemingly the C-HR 1.8 is not available there. Thanks in advance
Hi Fady,

When replacing the auxiliary battery, use a new auxiliary battery of the same dimensions with a capacity of 51 Ah or more at a 20-hour rate (as per service manual).

Dimension: 207x175x190
EU dimension code: LN1

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had a Bosch one fitted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Timur said:
Fady said:

Hi Fady,

When replacing the auxiliary battery, use a new auxiliary battery of the same dimensions with a capacity of 51 Ah or more at a 20-hour rate (as per service manual).

Dimension: 207x175x190
EU dimension code: LN1
Thanks Timur. A lot of useful information there. Yuasa YBX5012 at £59 was my first choice but as mentioned in currently on back order. Dimensions are spot on and capacity is 54Ah. It does not seem that many sites mention stuff about the 'hour rate' or quote the EU dimension code as I have yet to encounter those.

Bosch is probably my second pick. Amazon has the Bosch S4 002 (£63) of correct dimensions and 52Ah. You can enter the car registration to see if it fits. This comes back with a negative. If you do the same check on the Euro Car parts website it suggests Bosch S4 012 (which has the wrong dimensions) but then displays a picture of the Bosch S4 002 which has the right dimensions. So a bit confusing. Not helped by them wanting £144 which more than double the Amazon price. I will likely end up getting the one from Amazon, but was hoping to first verify the details with someone on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dim_theo said:
Have a look on the varta uk Web site and you will find the recommended Varta battery for your C-hr
OK thanks. They recommend one battery - Silver Dynamic 554 400 053 (54Ah and 175 x207 x 190mm). Appears to retail around the £80 mark.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Fady said:
Alexr said:
I had a Bosch one fitted
Thanks but any idea which one - do you know the model/code?
Sorry to be late replying but I just checked and it is an S4 002 52Ah. (Fitted by the AA for £120).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alexr said:
Fady said:
Alexr said:
I had a Bosch one fitted
Thanks but any idea which one - do you know the model/code?
Sorry to be late replying but I just checked and it is an S4 002 52Ah. (Fitted by the AA for £120).
Thanks Alexr. It's the same one Timur linked to. I ordered it from Amazon yesterday and it arrived this afternoon It cost £62.92 (though I had the pleasure of fitting it myself). All sorted now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Friday 19th June 2020
At the start of the lock down my CHR Excel (registered in August 2019) stood for 8 days which resulted in the AA being called out.

This week the car has been used quite a bit and especially on Thursday 18th. Today I went out and drove around and on the way home stopped to visit a friend and parked across his drive. After talking for about 30 minutes got in the car and it was totally dead. Another visit from the AA, ironically the same mechanic who attended before He got the car running and tested the battery and stated the battery was unserviceable, however Toyota insist that they will have to do a trickle test to make sure the battery is actually u/s. On both occasions the AA man had already attended a CH R prior to my visit, both with battery problems.

I have lost confidence in this car and I am coming to the conclusion that my big mistake was buying a new CH R

·
Registered
140 Posts
No problemas here
1.5 years old, 28k km,
When you say you were talking for 30 minutes, did you switch off car completely?
Asking this because if you leave it in the ac position 12v battery will discharge quickly, better leave it on and in P when you're inside or close to the car.
Also, you had battery issue before, don't know if you had it replaced the first time, from my experience, when you let a car battery go completely flat, that battery will never be the same again in terms of holding charge.
As for Toyota wanting to test I think that's normal otherwise everyone would be trying to get free batteries, at least they want to test and check what's causing the problem.
It would be worst if they didn't even bother

·
Registered
684 Posts
The Voyager said:
I have lost confidence in this car and I am coming to the conclusion that my big mistake was buying a new CH R
Exept for the drained battery.. do you like all the rest of the C-HR?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've been having the same problems regarding flat battery, if I don't use the car every day then the battery will be flat. Took it to the Toyota garage yesterday, it was in the garage for 8hrs, got a phone call saying that there is a drainage in the battery but basically they didn't know why so it's to go back in next Friday for a full day, not sure why they couldn't figure it out yesterday. The car is only 2 years old (18 plate) I took the car out on PCP, they are now saying that it might not be covered under warranty, anyone know how I find out if it will be covered? Surely a battery on a 2 year old car thats done 17000 miles shouldn't be going flat if it's not being used every day? Is this a common fault with CHR's?

·
Registered
755 Posts
You say "same problems" but yours seem different. Mine (and I think others) were issues with the car standing unused for 2 weeks or more, not 1-2 days. It sounds from how you describe it as if it is not a battery fault, but something draining it. Don't let them wriggle out of doing this on warranty.
Ps draining in 1-2 days is not a common fault.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts