Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I unfortunately created a set of minor scratches on passenger side of the windscreen about 4 roughly 3ins long. They can't be felt with a fingernail either so not deep at all you notice them more light refactoring on them this morning.
Either come off windscreen cover something may have been on it,this morning I did lightly scrape in that area as cover had moved leaving a patch of ice.
Been out to wash and buff with Autoglym stuff but it didn't do alot,it's more superficial and on her side when I'm driving so I get it in the ear. Chaps any idea what to try.?

· Registered
492 Posts
Today I unfortunately created a set of minor scratches on passenger side of the windscreen about 4 roughly 3ins long. They can't be felt with a fingernail either so not deep at all you notice them more light refactoring on them this morning.
Either come off windscreen cover something may have been on it,this morning I did lightly scrape in that area as cover had moved leaving a patch of ice.
Been out to wash and buff with Autoglym stuff but it didn't do alot,it's more superficial and on her side when I'm driving so I get it in the ear. Chaps any idea what to try.?
Maybe try a local chips away operation, if they can’t polish it out probably no other options.

Assuming you have windscreen cover be careful it doesn’t get hit by a stone and replaced under insurance...

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe try a local chips away operation, if they can’t polish it out probably no other options.

Assuming you have windscreen cover be careful it doesn’t get hit by a stone and replaced under insurance...
Huey I've never used Chips Away but my daughter in law used them on her Mini and to be honest it wasn't great,they did come back out and improved it slightly.
But to me it left it blurred in that area more so on sunny days. It's not harmful don't think screen will pop but you never kno,yep have cover for it. Her indoors with vision like a barn owl spotted it, muttered (Good job you did it not me) I think she is gloating.

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jewelers Rouge is meant to be good at removing scratches from glass.

I've never used or attempted to use that method.
Forkingabout been googling some stuff but so much on the market even a guy using toothpaste for god's sake,might ride out to local detailers Saturday it will definitely polish out it's completely smooth where it's at so superficial I think. Back to squirting De-icer, as herself is not one for de icing anything.

· Registered
492 Posts
Huey I've never used Chips Away but my daughter in law used them on her Mini and to be honest it wasn't great,they did come back out and improved it slightly.
But to me it left it blurred in that area more so on sunny days. It's not harmful don't think screen will pop but you never kno,yep have cover for it. Her indoors with vision like a barn owl spotted it, muttered (Good job you did it not me) I think she is gloating.
Think it all depends how good the individual is

i had a scrape on a Lexus repaired a few years back, great job and way quicker and cheaper than a bodyshop

· Registered
22 Posts
You can buy glass polish to remove scratches. I've used it on House windows when I stupidly used a blade to remove paint splatters. It's powder which you dampen and use a drill with a small polishing mop. Got it off amazon a few years ago and works a treat. Worth trying before expense of a new screen.

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can buy glass polish to remove scratches. I've used it on House windows when I stupidly used a blade to remove paint splatters. It's powder which you dampen and use a drill with a small polishing mop. Got it off amazon a few years ago and works a treat. Worth trying before expense of a new screen.
Just been to a local car shop they sent me to a chap 7mls from me.
He's had a look says he's gonna trial a new product comes in next week and wants to test it first before using it as he has 3jobs of similar type to mine. This includes his own second car which he showed me 1965 Merc boy was it stunning a restoration project took him 4yrs but wiper rubber came dislodged leaving a nasty scratch. He said he wept couldn't drive it his mate drove 50miles to get him and tow it home. I said how much £40-50 max he spotted another I couldn't pick out,he gave a lecture on glass laminate too. But asi came out thru his work bay every tool,cloths,towels polish and waxes were all stored immaculate then power tools all hung on the wall cables all wrapped the same way clean as a whistle hmmm.
His wife said he has OCD badly that's why his job suits him to a tee,he wouldn't go home till it all looks as you see it now sometimes takes him an hour. Poor lad it's a disturbing thing when you see it close up but his business is thriving, lovely Ford Mustang he's just finished waiting to be picked up today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts