Toyota C-HR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all

I have a brand-new CH-R I know I have to use Apple Air Play with my iPhone plugged in for Satnav, However on long journeys I like to listen to Audio books (and have satnav at the same time), there is only one USB slot and I have tried a USB splitter so I can have both but the airplay/satnav wont work. People have suggested putting the audio books onto the phone but I have limited space on the phone and it is a bit of a faff!

Does anyone know how can have both iPhone-(Apple airplay/satnav) and a USB stick (mp3 Audio books) connected at the same time?

many thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
As he said above

Plus why not use the built in sat nav, over the air traffic and works great (for me at least)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I will try the Apple Car Play wireless solution. Unfortunately my model of CH-R doesn’t have built in satnav it is a MOTABILITY car (effectively a lease car) and this was all I could get without having to pay £2k extra for i car that I have hand back in 3 years.

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
288 Posts
Thanks guys I will try the Apple Car Play wireless solution. Unfortunately my model of CH-R doesn’t have built in satnav it is a MOTABILITY car (effectively a lease car) and this was all I could get without having to pay £2k extra for i car that I have hand back in 3 years.
Is it an Icon spec?

·
Registered
362 Posts
What application are using for audiobooks?
Audible, for ex., works perfect. If your car has Apple Car, you can have at the same time Google Maps/Waze with Audible. And a book on Audible is few hundred megs, not a big deal even for an old'ish phone with limited storage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all I don’t really want to put audio books onto my phone and would really like to use CarPlay wirelessly for satnav saving the single use connection point for a USB. It would appear that the CH-R doesn’t support wireless connection (see below) what I need is a way of ‘splitting‘ the USB input, I have tried a standard splitter but it didn’t work

At the time of this article’s publication, Apple CarPlay only works through a wired connection in Toyota models except for GR Supra, which is available with a wireless CarPlay setup.

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
288 Posts
You mentioned your C-HR doesn't have built in navigation which leads me to suspect it's an ICON spec.

These still have the older infotainment unit fitted which doesn't support wireless Apple Car Play.

Can you confirm if you have psychical buttons on each side of your touch screen?

Maybe a phone upgrade with more internal memory storage will be the easiest / cheapest solution to this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mentioned your C-HR doesn't have built in navigation which leads me to suspect it's an ICON spec.

These still have the older infotainment unit fitted which doesn't support wireless Apple Car Play.

Can you confirm if you have psychical buttons on each side of your touch screen?

Maybe a phone upgrade with more internal memory storage will be the easiest / cheapest solution to this problem.

Hi thanks for this, Yes it's the Icon Model and yes it has buttons either side of touch screen. Nobodies fault but my own but I am disappointed not to have picked this up before I took delivery, I'm not really tech savvy and it irritates me that:
a) I have to physically plug by phone in to get satnav (how long before I leave my phone in the car?)
b) I cant 'split the only USB port so I can have a 'wired' satnav and a separate USB stick with audio books.

·
Registered
2022 C-HR GR Sport
288 Posts
There are dongles available on the market that can plug in to your vehicle USB port & make the Apple Car Play function wireless.

I've no experience with any of them as I'm an Android phone user.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi thanks for the suggestion I have had a look and there are indeed dongles that make the Apple car play wireless, however these still need to be plugged into the one and only USB port meaning I cant plug a USB memory stick in which is my preferred method of storing audio books..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts